No announcement yet.

Guitar Practice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Practice

I was wondering if anyone here plays guitar and can give me suggestions on how to practice. I want speed, I don't care about heart and soul, I want mechanical ability and that is it. Does anyone have practice routines that are effective for speed and technique, in general. I have many instructional dvds by Malmsteen, Johnson, Batio, Lee, Gilbert, May. I notice these are more lick oriented videos and not really foundation dvds. However, I recently stumbled on a dvd by Frank Gambale called Chop Builder and it is set up like an exercise program, almost like an aerobics video in format, and so he says to practice the program three times a week and the results will come. He has it set up in Rounds from 1-10. Rounds 1-3 are for picking, Rounds 4-6 are for the fret hand with many scales and modes, Rounds 7-9 are a combination of both with string skipping, arpeggios, and hammer ons/pull offs, and Round 10 is chords. I have always struggled with an effective guitar practice program, but I feel this will be effective. The reason I feel this way is because I tried it and I felt soreness in my hand and arm in places I have not felt soreness before. He puts an emphasis on endurance.

My previous program was mostly focused on permutations and combinations with respect to fingers on the fret hand. For example 1234, 1243, 1324, etc either in static position(one string, same position) or dynamic(all six strings, same position). Although I like this program, as well, I did not have enough repetitions and so no progress was observed. I relate this to doing one push up a day, which will obviously not show results when compared to 100 push ups a day. I think this program has potential and so I tweaked it to include more repetitions. I also have a program for guitar picking, since I train hands individually, but I feel my picking is okay.

I will be practicing Gambale's workout on Mon, Wed, Fri and my own permutations and combinations workout on Tue, Thur, Sat, and Sun. I just want to say that I believe it is important to have exercises with many repetitions in order to build endurance and in order to get the burn feeling that is common with effective exercise programs. Feeling the burn is what I am looking forward to the most. Speed will come with practice.

Finally, I must say that music theory is something that is important to me. However, I have only read one book on the subject and so my understanding of theory is very weak. Therefore, I look forward to taking several classes on music theory in order to have a good foundation on which to base my musical playing on. For now, I am satisfied playing the music of my heroes and, once I feel worthy, I will begin trying to make my own music.

I would like to add Petrucci, Morse, Moore, Morse, and Holdsworth to my instructional dvd collections. Another good book I have is by Troy Stetina called Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar, that guy is a good teacher and has good suggestions for improving guitar playing.

Please provide your suggestions.
    Last edited by Null; 11-07-2012, 06:13 PM.

I should add that the platform I use for my guitar practice is a program on my computer known as Guitar Speed Trainer. It is really cool since you simply add the exercises into the program and you start it at a certain tempo(beats per minute) and it automatically increments the tempo once the exercise is done. Therefore, you can play along with an exercise, as the computer plays the exercise as well, and the computer increments the tempo at a rate of about 5 beats per minute. You can play along until you can't play the exercise cleanly and so you establish that point as your failure point. What I do is I set that as a plateau and so the next day I come back and I try to increase where my plateau is located, with respect to beats per minute. Here is an image of the program GUI. I only do about five repetitions though and after that it just looks like a plateau and not like what the image shows.

Comment

**** practice. sell your soul to the devil ala robert johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkman0811 View Post
        I was wondering if anyone here plays guitar and can give me suggestions on how to practice. I want speed, I don't care about heart and soul, I want mechanical ability and that is it. Does anyone have practice routines that are effective for speed and technique, in general. I have many instructional dvds by Malmsteen, Johnson, Batio, Lee, Gilbert, May. I notice these are more lick oriented videos and not really foundation dvds. However, I recently stumbled on a dvd by Frank Gambale called Chop Builder and it is set up like an exercise program, almost like an aerobics video in format, and so he says to practice the program three times a week and the results will come. He has it set up in Rounds from 1-10. Rounds 1-3 are for picking, Rounds 4-6 are for the fret hand with many scales and modes, Rounds 7-9 are a combination of both with string skipping, arpeggios, and hammer ons/pull offs, and Round 10 is chords. I have always struggled with an effective guitar practice program, but I feel this will be effective. The reason I feel this way is because I tried it and I felt soreness in my hand and arm in places I have not felt soreness before. He puts an emphasis on endurance.

My previous program was mostly focused on permutations and combinations with respect to fingers on the fret hand. For example 1234, 1243, 1324, etc either in static position(one string, same position) or dynamic(all six strings, same position). Although I like this program, as well, I did not have enough repetitions and so no progress was observed. I relate this to doing one push up a day, which will obviously not show results when compared to 100 push ups a day. I think this program has potential and so I tweaked it to include more repetitions. I also have a program for guitar picking, since I train hands individually, but I feel my picking is okay.

I will be practicing Gambale's workout on Mon, Wed, Fri and my own permutations and combinations workout on Tue, Thur, Sat, and Sun. I just want to say that I believe it is important to have exercises with many repetitions in order to build endurance and in order to get the burn feeling that is common with effective exercise programs. Feeling the burn is what I am looking forward to the most. Speed will come with practice.

Finally, I must say that music theory is something that is important to me. However, I have only read one book on the subject and so my understanding of theory is very weak. Therefore, I look forward to taking several classes on music theory in order to have a good foundation on which to base my musical playing on. For now, I am satisfied playing the music of my heroes and, once I feel worthy, I will begin trying to make my own music.

I would like to add Petrucci, Morse, Moore, Morse, and Holdsworth to my instructional dvd collections. Another good book I have is by Troy Stetina called Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar, that guy is a good teacher and has good suggestions for improving guitar playing.

Please provide your suggestions.
        I see you got enough materials to practice on. I have no idea what they are but during my younger years I practice scales of hendrix and santana. And yes combination and permutation of them on a scale will make you faster if you practice daily. I ain't into guitar playing anymore. More of a listener now of old school players. Good luck my man.

Comment

Thanks everybody and yes, of course I would sell my soul to the devil, in a heartbeat, at the crossroads.

Comment

Damn hardcore **** like this is so crazy to me Just mess around until you're good like all the greats, no theory needed.

Comment

malmsteen was a classically trained musician. he might try and fool you with all that macho crap, but the guy put the work in

you'll need a musical base before you get to the shredding. shredders are a lot of fun, but they all got there the hard way, which is by learning to be musical before you learn to move your fingers quickly

on your chops:
              get a metronome and keep at it.

downpicking, alternate picking, tremelo. whatever. just play and make sure it's in time.

go through the modes, scales, arpegios, sweeps, whatever, but make sure that you're playing music and not just dicking around.

my favorite shredders are buckethead, randy rhodes, and eddie van halen.

the truth is that i can't stand osme of the stuff that shredders do any more. it's often guitar pron, not music.

Comment

im never really into fast shredding though i have some exceptions who can incorporate it with melodic tunes better than the others (Vai, Satriani, Eric Johnson)

i prefer simple scales esp. Blues

Comment

I hear you guys. I would like to say that I don't want to play fast just for the sake of playing fast. Speed should be used to add intensity to music. However, I still want it to be part of my arsenal. Many of the genres that I like use speed in a very interesting manner. These styles include classical, jazz, rock, blues, country, and video game music. This is my favorite guitarist everybody...

Comment

kind of progerrisve rock guitarist?

Comment

Working...
                    X