Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Irish might be able to partially claim Canelo Alvarez as one of their own

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Irish might be able to partially claim Canelo Alvarez as one of their own

I typed this out myself because it has some pretty cool history in it.

From The Ring Magazine:

Those educated in Mexican history look at the red hair, see the freckles and think of the Army unit, a 19th-century battalion that was predominantly Irish. they were known as Los Son Patricos, or Those of St. Patrick. They fought for Mexico in the Mexican-American War from 1844 through 1848.

Many, between 50 and 85, were executed as traitors. Their Mexican comrades also called them Los Colorados for their sunburned faces, freckles, and red hair. The guess is that Alvarez ancestor marched in their ranks.

"There might have been an Irish grandfather somewhere there in my past," said Alvarez, whose mom, Ana Maria, is the only other redhead in a family that includes seven brothers, all boxers.

If not the hair, an Irish ancestry might be in part of the Alvarez name that is not included on billboards or on his boxing license. His full name is Santos Saul Alvararez Barragan. According to one history of the name, Barragan is the Mexican spelling of an old Irish name, Berrigen.

That's cool to know, there is a lot of mixed blood in Mexico. Arab, African and European.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
      That's cool to know, there is a lot of mixed blood in Mexico. Arab, African and European.
      for sure.

A lot of people hate on The Ring these days, but it does have a ton of cool information.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
        for sure.

A lot of people hate on The Ring these days, but it does have a ton of cool information.
        But you know what gives Canelo his balls, guts and fighting spirit?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
          But you know what gives Canelo his balls, guts and fighting spirit?

That is what Irish boxers throughout history are known for as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mdportorock3
            Makes sense because most mexicans are ugly as fuk indians...lolol jk
            There's a saying: "There's a little truth behind every joke"

Jk.

Comment

Pretty ****ing cool.

Comment

Irish/mexican mix, no way in hell that kid would do anything else than fight lol

Comment

Interesting, but it's more probable that Canelo got his skin color from Spaniards. BTW, my paternal grandma is Irish but her family couldn't hold a candle to my mostly Spanish grandpa's family intellectually. His family were/are doctors, judges, attorneys, writers, 1 school principal, priests and nuns whereas my Irish relatives were average Joes.

Comment

Originally posted by Forza View Post
                    Irish/mexican mix, no way in hell that kid would do anything else than fight lol
                    exactly bro,Its in his blood to fight.Everysince he was a little boy he was
                    fighting in the streets.Mexico and ireland should be proud lol

Comment

Working...
                    X