No announcement yet.

Azumah Nelson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azumah Nelson

I don't hear much about Azumah Nelson, on this forum. He was a great fighter and definitely a top 5 super featherweight.

He had a turtle-like defense and had a decent pop in his punch. He could brawl very well and gave a lot of great fighters a hard time.

In only his 14th fight, he challenged arguably one of the greatest featherweights of all-time in Salvador Sanchez. I think I had the fight even up until the stoppage.

Later on, he beat a whole list of great fighters, including Wilfredo Gomez, Jeff Fenech, Jesse James Leija, Gabriel Ruelas, Calvin Grove, Juan La Porte and Marcos Villasana.

He retired as a former featherweight and former two-time super featherweight world champion.

What do you think of him and how do you rate him?

He was a true warrior.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarr View Post
      I don't hear much about Azumah Nelson, on this forum. He was a great fighter and definitely a top 5 super featherweight.

He had a turtle-like defense and had a decent pop in his punch. He could brawl very well and gave a lot of great fighters a hard time.

In only his 14th fight, he challenged arguably one of the greatest featherweights of all-time in Salvador Sanchez. I think I had the fight even up until the stoppage.

Later on, he beat a whole list of great fighters, including Wilfredo Gomez, Jeff Fenech, Jesse James Leija, Gabriel Ruelas, Calvin Grove, Juan La Porte and Marcos Villasana.

He retired as a former featherweight and former two-time super featherweight world champion.

He was a great fighter who would of been a hard nights work for any featherweight past or present, got a gift draw against jeff fenech in there first fight, costing jeff becomeing the first 4 weight world champion. back in 1994 there was talk of oscar and nelson fighting in a super fight.

Comment

He was definitely a great fighter, one of the best I've ever seen at fighting off the ropes and was at his best as a counterpuncher, the only glaring weakness I saw in his style was that he didn't really cut off the ring that well against mobile fighters, he would follow them around a little too much but he didn't meet that many people who could move around on him all fight. And he somehow made those wide shots work for himself, he rarely got countered in between those shots.

Comment

His boxing acumen - and boxing skills - were quite underrated. His performance against Gomez was quite impressive. What a great jab. My favorite fighter. I must say, Timothy Bradley reminds me quite a bit of Azumah except he's already been dropped more times than Azumah was his whole career. Ok, that and they are worlds apart lol.

Comment

Azumah Nelson was a super fighter. I would have loved to have seen him fight Barry McGuigan I am pretty sure Nelson would have won. He has to be considered one of the all time great featherweights.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarr View Post

He was one of my favourite boxer along with Pryor,Sanchez,Laporte,Gomez,Hearns etc.

Comment

The Professor was great! In that Sanchez fight Azumah was actually leading on the offical scorecards, which is amazing for such a green fighter. After that I paid close attention to him and nobody believed me when I told them he would topple Wilfredo Gomez. Seems like he fought on forever after that.

Comment

so nelson vs hamed at featherweight , who wins then?

Comment

Nelson is one of my all-time favorites. Was anybody ever better in a rematch than him?

Beat Villesana wide, stopped Ruelas, stopped Martinez, stopped Fenech...stopped Leija on cuts. He had a great track record in rematches. That's another reason why it was so unfortunate that Sal Sanchez passed. A rematch between the two would have been phenomenal.

Comment

Working...
                    X