No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto vs Shane Mosley Revisited

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miguel Cotto vs Shane Mosley Revisited

I just got done watching it for the first time in a while and it was a really good fight. Two great boxer/puncher's going at it and both gave a great account of themselves. Cotto was at his best at this point and he looked very good. Mosley on the other hand was probably not in his prime anymore but still looked very strong, capable and close to what I remember from him earlier in his career. Anyway, what I want to discuss the most regarding this bout is the scoring. I remember the last time I watched it that I scored it for Cotto, but that was a while ago (maybe 2 years) and I think I have learned a lot since then (not least how hard these commentators try to sway your opinion towards what they want you to believe and away from what is really happening). Remember, this was when they were really hyping up Cotto and the commentators were quite biased towards him, but I tried to ignore them and just really focus on the fight and what was going on in the ring and this is how I scored it.

Round 1 - Cotto
    Round 2 - Mosley
    Round 3 - Mosley
    Round 4 - Cotto
    Round 5 - Cotto (Very close)
    Round 6 - Cotto
    Round 7 - Mosley
    Round 8 - Cotto
    Round 9 - Mosley
    Round 10 - Mosley
    Round 11 - Mosley (Very close)
    Round 12 - Mosley

Final score - 115-113 for Mosley

I thought Cotto won his rounds more clearly, but I had him losing the last 4. I'm not going to say it was a bad decision because a few of the rounds were close and it was also a pro-Cotto crowd so the judges were probably influenced by that too. I do think it was somewhat of a controversial decision for the judges to have him winning unanimously. I've seen many more clear cut wins than this that ended up being draws (Like Winky Wright vs Jermain Taylor for example). Anyway I want to know what other people think. I've heard and read quite a few people saying it should have been a draw or that it could've gone either way. I don't have a problem with Cotto winning but i'm curious to know what the general consensus is.

The full fight is on youtube for anyone who wants to see it.

Poll coming.
    For Cotto
    80.00%
    For Mosley
    20.00%
    I had it a draw
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by JK1700; 07-22-2012, 06:42 PM.

Don't have a scorecard handy but I had Cotto winning in a close, but clear victory.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Don't have a scorecard handy but I had Cotto winning in a close, but clear victory.
      He looked to be in clear control to me too, until the last 4 rounds.

Comment

I had it 115-113 Cotto. This is one of those fights though where I wouldn't even argue with a person that had it 114-114 or 115-113 Mosley though.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          I had it 115-113 Cotto. This is one of those fights though where I wouldn't even argue with a person that had it 114-114 or 115-113 Mosley though.
          Yep. I thought both guys won about 4 rounds clearly and all the others were close enough to go either way. I thought Mosley just about edged it in the last few rounds but a couple of them were still pretty close.
          Last edited by JK1700; 07-22-2012, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
            Miguel Cotto - Shane Mosley
            Round 1:10:9
            Round 2:10:9
            Round 3:10:9*
            Round 4:10:9
            Round 5:10:9
            Round 6:10:9
            Round 7:9:10
            Round 8:10:9
            Round 9:10:9*
            Round10:9:10*
            Round11:9:10
            Round12:9:10*
            Final Score:116:112 Cotto, Officially:115:113,116:113,115:113 Cotto.
            Scoring Variances:
            114:114 Draw (Scoring all close rounds for Mosley
            118:110 Cotto (Scoring all close rounds for Cotto).
            It was a while since I see that but I didn't feel like it was one of those "could've gone either way" fights. I remember HBO team and Jim Lampley screaming about huge shots from Mosley, especially overhand rights, that wasn't really landing. To me, right man won it, but it was good fight.
            I'm not going to knock you for expressing your opinion but it's interesting that you gave Cotto both the 2nd and 3rd rounds, because I thought Mosley won them both pretty clearly. Had you given them both to the Sugar Man like I did, you would've had it a draw and there were other close rounds too. I'm not saying it was a bad decision but I thought it was very close and competitive and could easily have gone any one of 3 ways. I was listening to Joe Tessitore and Wally Matthews, they were biased towards Cotto, and even they agreed that Mosley won rounds 2 & 3.

Comment

I caught alot of critisizim for my Cotto vs Mosley card at the time but ive watched it a million times and im standing by this score

Round 1: 10-9 COTTO

Round 2: 10-9 COTTO

Round 3: 10-10 EVEN

Round 4: 10-9 COTTO

Round 5: 10-9 COTTO

Round 6: 10-9 COTTO

Round 7: 10-9 COTTO

Round 8: 10-9 COTTO

Round 9: 9-10 MOSLEY

Round 10: 9-10 MOSLEY

Round 11: 10-9 COTTO

Round 12: 9-10 MOSLEY

TOTAL - 117-112 COTTO

I felt Miguel had the better start and took the opener, The second was closer but i gave it to Cotto with his big Left cross nicking the round. I couldnt split them in the third - Even Jack Mosley said it was even and was happy as if he knew theyd lost the first 2. The fourth i prefered Cotto's work, The 5th was a big round for Cotto, The sixth he took again this timed maily based on strong right hands, Round Seven was close but i liked Miguel and he was tagging Shane as he was backing up all round, Another close round in the eighth, the nineth was Mosleys and he had Cotto backing up with a mouth injury, tho it was made close and Cotto scored with a big left at the end. Round ten belonged to Shane IMO i liked his right hand bombs but Manny Steward thought it was a Cotto round or even. In the eleventh Miguel pulled it back landing the cleaner harder shots off of the back foot but in the twelfth Miguel was backing up too much without scoring too much and Mosley took the round

EXCELLENT Fight

Comment

Mosley .

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
                  I saw 2-nd round again and it was definitely closer than I thought. I still gave it to Cotto, becuase beside two good right hands from Shane, he was clearlly outpointing Mosley through entire round and also after he get hit by that right hand he came back nicely. But yeah, it could've gone to Mosley(and so could the fight on my card right now).
                  That was the theme of the fight for the most part. Cotto was outboxing Shane but only landing occassional power shots where as Mosley seemed to land hard right hands and hurt Cotto with them almost every time he threw them, but he didn't land enough of them or enough of other punches to really back up Cotto and hurt him, or win rounds really decisively. Cotto won his rounds more clearly and the judges seemed to favour him in the close rounds because he was throwing more punches and more varied punches while Shane was often passive and just looking to load up and land one shot. I still think Mosley could've easily won or got a draw, because he still landed the best punches and hurt Cotto more than he got hurt, but when your the busier guy and the crowd favorite like Cotto was then the judges are usually going to favour you in the close rounds and that's what happened here. He got the benefit of the doubt.

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                  I caught alot of critisizim for my Cotto vs Mosley card at the time but ive watched it a million times and im standing by this score

Round 1: 10-9 COTTO

Round 2: 10-9 COTTO

Round 3: 10-10 EVEN

Round 4: 10-9 COTTO

Round 5: 10-9 COTTO

Round 6: 10-9 COTTO

Round 7: 10-9 COTTO

Round 8: 10-9 COTTO

Round 9: 9-10 MOSLEY

Round 10: 9-10 MOSLEY

Round 11: 10-9 COTTO

Round 12: 9-10 MOSLEY

TOTAL - 117-112 COTTO

I felt Miguel had the better start and took the opener, The second was closer but i gave it to Cotto with his big Left cross nicking the round. I couldnt split them in the third - Even Jack Mosley said it was even and was happy as if he knew theyd lost the first 2. The fourth i prefered Cotto's work, The 5th was a big round for Cotto, The sixth he took again this timed maily based on strong right hands, Round Seven was close but i liked Miguel and he was tagging Shane as he was backing up all round, Another close round in the eighth, the nineth was Mosleys and he had Cotto backing up with a mouth injury, tho it was made close and Cotto scored with a big left at the end. Round ten belonged to Shane IMO i liked his right hand bombs but Manny Steward thought it was a Cotto round or even. In the eleventh Miguel pulled it back landing the cleaner harder shots off of the back foot but in the twelfth Miguel was backing up too much without scoring too much and Mosley took the round

EXCELLENT Fight
                  I guess I could see that score if you give every close round to Cotto. I thought Mosley won at least 4 rounds clearly, but he was loading up a lot on the right hand where as Cotto was throwing a more varied arsenal of punches and more punches so I could see why you would give him the close rounds. Even though Shane seemed to hurt him more than he got hurt. It was indeed a great fight. Both guys gave a great performance.
                  Last edited by JK1700; 07-23-2012, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X