Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Ishe beats Molina, would anybody be interested in an Alfonso Gomez rematch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

154 is pretty stacked at the moment, fighting a welterweight coming off 2 losses is not the stuff of champions, in my opinion. And I think 154 suits Smith wayyyyy better than it suits Gomez.

If Smith can beat Molina, who is a bad mother ****er, I guess wouldn't mind him taking a fight of this nature. However, if any Contender star is going to get a shot, I think that Sergio Mora (who's also on a losing streak) would be a far better opponent than Gomez.

Comment

People are interested in Ishe fighting in general? lol

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
        154 is pretty stacked at the moment, fighting a welterweight coming off 2 losses is not the stuff of champions, in my opinion. And I think 154 suits Smith wayyyyy better than it suits Gomez.

If Smith can beat Molina, who is a bad mother ****er, I guess wouldn't mind him taking a fight of this nature. However, if any Contender star is going to get a shot, I think that Sergio Mora (who's also on a losing streak) would be a far better opponent than Gomez.
        No offense man, but Sergio vs Ishe II would be a horrendous fight besides the detail that I don't think Mora is as good as Gomez anyway. Ishe's not a busy guy at all in the ring and Mora has fought at 154 three times, in each fight he didn't let his hands go due to stamina issues at the weight and the style of his opponent. Sergio will let his hands go at 160 lbs against a fighter that comes to him who is sloppy like Vera but against a defensive counterpuncher like Ishe at 154 it's a recipe for sleep-inducing disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by HitBattousai View Post
          No offense man, but Sergio vs Ishe II would be a horrendous fight besides the detail that I don't think Mora is as good as Gomez anyway. Ishe's not a busy guy at all in the ring and Mora has fought at 154 three times, in each fight he didn't let his hands go due to stamina issues at the weight and the style of his opponent. Sergio will let his hands go at 160 lbs against a fighter that comes to him who is sloppy like Vera but against a defensive counterpuncher like Ishe at 154 it's a recipe for sleep-inducing disaster.
          No offense taken, but while I agree it would be a very ugly and boring fight (what Mora fight hasn't been in recent years) it would be far more competitive than a Gomez fight.

While Ishe has grown into the weight, Gomez was a small welterweight as it was, he has no place at 154 IMO.

Comment

No, Gomez is not a world class fighter. Plain and simple. It's bad enough to have one 154lb beltholder keep the belt hostage while facing bums, hasbeens and guys from 2 weight classes below. We don't need another. Plenty of deserving 154lb contenders around

Comment

I don't see Mora going below 160 again... maybe a catchweight. I don't know if Ishe will go back up to MW as he seems comfortable in JMW.

Comment

No offense taken, but while I agree it would be a very ugly and boring fight (what Mora fight hasn't been in recent years) it would be far more competitive than a Gomez fight.

While Ishe has grown into the weight, Gomez was a small welterweight as it was, he has no place at 154 IMO.
                Ishe is not a big fighter at 154 lbs, nor a big punching 154 lbs guy, nor even to be brutally honest a true world-class fighter. He is what Gomez is, a fringe world level guy that got a shot against one of the weakest champions out there due to his connections with Floyd and managed to beat said champion unimpressively. Gomez brings a lot of the same problems Molina does to a fight with Ishe, except for Gomez has less size but better technique than Molina. Principally, Gomez has a very good jab, a weapon which Ishe does not possess. At the least the fight would be very competitive. Conservatively, Gomez would win the first half of the fight where he traditionally starts fast while Ishe starts slow, and Ishe would come on down the stretch with it probably coming down to a close decision. Personally, I think Gomez would win. However, as stated, it's not going to happen because if Ishe can get past Molina, he'll be looking to cash in, he won't be taking a fight like Gomez unless he has to.

Comment

Gomez would probably win....Ishe failing to impress vs Bundrage tells me he is one of the worse champs out there, Gomez has had his biggest trouble versus punchers with good workrate, because he is not that durable(swells very easily and fails to take impact off punches because of his flat footedness) and Ishe is neither........they wont fight though.....Ishe has nothing to win from it.

Comment

Working...
                  X