Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Roy Be The Greatest If He Retired After Beating Ruiz????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Roy Be The Greatest If He Retired After Beating Ruiz????

Would he have been #1 P4P of all time if he retired then, that would mean he started a light middleweight, won a title at middleweight, super middleweight, and light heavyweight than went up two weight divisions and won the Heavyweight championship of the world

I remember at the time he was talked about being alongside srr. People wonderedwhat would happen if he fought Lennox, they were intrigued by match uop

That's why I know where rjj all time wiuse. His losses after prime dont sway me much

Comment

winning a heavyweight championship was a great accomplishment, but he beat a lightly regarded paper champion. it still would have been a good time to retire, but i don't think many would have had him ranked #1 of all time.

Comment

I thin k there would be a case for being top 5. But now top ten is more realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
          Would he have been #1 P4P of all time if he retired then, that would mean he started a light middleweight, won a title at middleweight, super middleweight, and light heavyweight than went up two weight divisions and won the Heavyweight championship of the world
          Of course not. Even at the time no one took that world title seriously and there was talk would have to legitimise his claim by facing Lewis.

Having said that, Jones' standing would probably be a lot higher than it is post Tarver trilogy.

Comment

It would have been higher than it is now.

But that being said there was a lot of missing names on his resume from when he was in his prime. His best wins were a very green Hopkins and a toney who he matched up very well against, and lost 47lbs in 6 weeks for the fight. (WAY MORE than jones lost for the Tarver fight btw, didn't affect toners chin though, hmmm)

Names like McLellan, Benn, Eubank, Darius M, Calzaghe etc. Of course he also would have been missing Tarver had he retired then. And people knew this even back then. That was the criticism of Roy was he had all the talent but usually fought lower level opponents on HBO and he did this for most of his prime. With the occasional high level guy who was always a boxer, never a puncher, mixed in.

I think had he retired then people would have asked why there were so many names missing on his resume.

A while back I did some research into the media around the time that roy beat ruiz and it's interesting, there was a lot of names saying that Lennox Lewis really ought to avoid Roy, which looking back is absolutely ludicrous. But it goes to show how gassed people can get over a well matched, flashy fighter.

My honest opinion on Roy, I think he had some of the best natural gifts of any fighter. Amazing handspeed, really good power below 175, great engine and really good confidence in himself.

However I also think that chin was always a problem and against some of the heavier punchers mentioned, I think had he fought them all, one of them would have got to him.

I don't belive the myth that losing 20lbs (roy was 195 hydrated against Ruiz so if you factor in hydration it was more like 10lb of lean mass) turned jones chin into glass for the rest of his life, that just makes no sense but the jones fans cling to it. I think he was always harbouring a weak chin.

But yeah that's my thoughts on roy.
            Last edited by Earl-Hickey; 01-01-2017, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I think in hindsight you can judge rjj. Plus wasn't rjj caught usdusding poeds?
              So top 20 is more trealistic now alongsdide Floyd.

Comment

His greatness shouldn't change because he retired after Riuz if he is being judged fairly. Greatness is supposed to be judged when a fighter is in his prime. Ray Robinson is considered by many as the greatest of all time and he had 19 losses. Most of those losses happened when he was past prime and were not counted against his greatness by most people.

Comment

#1 all time? No. He feasted on a weak division and never really had a true P4P rival. Skills wise he was next level but wouldn't have a #1 all time resume.
                  But he would have been the best of his generation and would be much more highly regarded now. Crazy that he is still an active fighter.

Comment

Of course not. Roy lost multiple fights.

Floyd never lost and retired 49-0.

Only one TBE.

Comment

Working...
                    X