No announcement yet.

Proper punch technique

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper punch technique

What is the correct way to throw a punch with maximum speed, snap and power.

I was at the gym and found out that i was punching incorrectly for three years.

Some trainer told me that i have to whip my hand out and and at the last second tighten my fist and turn my hand as it hits the bag so that if the bag was a person the twisting motion would cause a cut on their face.
    Is that correct? i usually twist my hand when its halfway from the bag.

http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-t...snapping-punch

Comment

I checked that out it was really helpful...but i guess what i really want to know is when to turn your hand over?

Comment

It is said that a few cm before the target. I don't master the technique yet so I can't tell you more.

They don't teach snapping punches in gym do they

Comment

Watch Ron Lipton's on YouTube

Ron Lipton gives some great punching technique advice on his YouTube videos. Watch a few and learn.

Comment

I read that "snapping vs pushing" punch technique and I have never seen or heard of any boxing trainer teach the "pushing" method. IMO that's just poor coaching for the very first reason they gave, that you will over extend yourself and leave yourself open for the counter.

I often use the analogy of a towel being rolled up and whipped at someone. The power comes from the last little bit of the towel "snapping" at the end, punches are the same way.

Comment

To snap a punnch...

bring the punch back as fast as you threw it out and make believe you are trying to put your fist right thru whatever you are hitting -- a heavy bag or a head.

Comment

i head somewhere that you are suposed to use your wrist as a whip when jabbing, whiping it out kinda like a praying mantis. i just ended up hurting my wrist

Comment

I found the snapping punch to be a lot easier when you lowered your leading guard to your waist. Most that I read said that you want to turn your fist from vertical to horizontal, but I also found it easier to go from horizontal to vertical. Then again, I may be a complete idiot haha.

Comment

It makes a really threatening jab, but I have yet to master it with my left hand(I'm right handed). It also makes it harder to guard, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X