No announcement yet.

Building Speed, How?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Speed, How?

I just started boxing again about 3 weeks ago, and my first sparring match was today.. Must i say i got my ass beat. My problem was not being able to throw punches fast enough to connect, I hit pretty hard but my problem lies in the lack of ability to make those punches connect.

What's the best way to gain an insane amount of hand speed?

Speed comes natural to me but i do find im slower when i first go back to the gym as time goes on and i stick to my routines, shadowboxing etc my punches become alot faster and alot sharper, i would shadowbox if i were you dont just treat it as a warm up session do it at home in your room or in the garden or whatever yeah your brothers and sisters will laugh and your parents will think your a lunatic but dont worry about it. you say you started again 3 weeks ago give it a few more weeks you should feel faster

Comment

Resistance bands

Originally posted by Be_kind_rewind View Post
      I just started boxing again about 3 weeks ago, and my first sparring match was today.. Must i say i got my ass beat. My problem was not being able to throw punches fast enough to connect, I hit pretty hard but my problem lies in the lack of ability to make those punches connect.

What's the best way to gain an insane amount of hand speed?
      There's a bunch of ways, either using free weights or resistance bands (or if you're cheep cut up inner tubes). My favorite is the resistance band.

Tie the resistance bands to a pole or have someone hold them, then do a pad workout or shadow boxing for a few rounds (focus more on speed than strength). After a while drop the resistance bands and do a few more rounds of pad work. After a few weeks, you'll notice your speed greatly improving.

You can shadow box with free weights in your hands but obviously pad work is not a good idea.

Comment

Shadowbox with dumbbells, spar/hit the bag with heavier glove. All that is good for gaining a little speed.

However i'd say to try to stay relaxed when you box, you would be suprised how much faster you can be.

Comment

plenty of shadow boxing and use a double end bag - it will help with hand speed and accuracy

Comment

best way is bench-press with max speed

Comment

staying loose and not trying to hit with so much power. just throw your hands out with extension with speed. i think thats the key.

Comment

I've asked one of the people in my gym he said that the faster and more precise you exhale when punch helps alot too? do you guys agree?

Also My trainer yells at anyone who he feels is not punching hard enough. He expects every single punch to throw to be our hardest, So if i'm loosening up won't i be sacrificing power?

Comment

Originally posted by Be_kind_rewind View Post
                  I've asked one of the people in my gym he said that the faster and more precise you exhale when punch helps alot too? do you guys agree?

Also My trainer yells at anyone who he feels is not punching hard enough. He expects every single punch to throw to be our hardest, So if i'm loosening up won't i be sacrificing power?
                  Shadow-boxing with wrists weights, worked for me.

Exhaling when you punch does make it more explosive and helps you get a sort of breathing rhythmn.

In Amatuers you should go more for speed than power since it's a points game.

Comment

Try this link for 5 tips. Hope they help ;-)

http://www.myboxingcoach.com/improve-punch-speed/

Comment

Working...
                    X