Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones vs this era's best Super Middleweights, how would he have performed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
    Ward is better than B-Hop was at that stage of his career.

He also can fight in numerous styles, adjust and frustrate. It would be good.

For the Chad Dawson mention earlier, even as a Chad fan, Rou would have wiped the floor with Chad.
    And what would he do that James Toney wasn't able to do?

Is Ward better than James Toney at this stage in his career?

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post

Could be argued. I think Ward would beat James Toney prime for prime. And I was a Toney fan before.

Comment

Ward knows how to make a fight ugly and isn't an overconfident prick, so he would be capable of changing and adapting his game. Unlike Toney.

Comment

Toney who moved up in weight directly after that fight? Yes, he is.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
            Both had the styles, skills, and athleticism to give Jones problems, especially Dirrell with his awkward switch hitting style, length and speed.....out of all three though Ward is the most technically sound

I just think Jones has to much speed, power and countering ability for them
            Yeah but I think it will come down to the mental game.

Would Roy get frustrated by the way Dirrell won't stand in front of him and box him? Making Roy chase him around the ring.

While Ward. How would Roy react when he is being jab-clinched? Probably taking a headbutt or two in the process.

That's why I think they would beat him. He has the athleticism but the mental game. To accept not getting what you want, when you want it. I don't think Roy would be pleased with fighting them.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
              Ward knows how to make a fight ugly and isn't an overconfident prick, so he would be capable of changing and adapting his game. Unlike Toney.

I wouldnt say Ward is better than a prime Toney, but as you said he has shown versatility Toney didnt...he adjusts to every style. Toney excels against punchers, brawlers and swarmers....one thing about Ward you can take to the bank is he will come prepared and in top shape

Comment

Roy smokes them all.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                  Could be argued. I think Ward would beat James Toney prime for prime. And I was a Toney fan before.

I seriously can't believe what i read on these forums at times.

Comment

Originally posted by check hook View Post
                    I seriously can't believe what i read on these forums at times.
                    Why would Toney be an absolute favorite to beat Ward????

Comment

Only Calzaghe and Ward have displayed the type of fortitude and mental makeup it takes to beat Roy in his prime imo. yes, other are iron willed, but these two take it to another level to me.

I don't think Ward has the quickness or footspeed to do it...he also is not active enough to give the impression that he is making the fight against the showman Roy. Calzaghe, on the other hand, does have the quickness and foot speed and rhythm that is takes to appear to be dictating the action in order to win rounds.....in their primes it would have been really funny to see them try to out showboat each other and not give the appearance of giving in to each other. I know RJ fans will always point to that first rd against Joe as the evidence of what would have been if he was prime...but going down early like that was also a trait of Calzaghe's...so that fight, those early moments, really were just a tease on what could have been.

I'd like to think Dirrell could be one of the best too, but he still has some things to work out yet

Comment

Working...
                      X