No announcement yet.

Johnson-Dempsey

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson-Dempsey

In 1923 Jack Johnson was 45 years old and kicked out Dempsey Challenger Luis Firpo camp as a sparring partner for schooling him. Johnson had been blacklisted at this time but was still trying to get a fight with Dempsey. Had he gotten it could he have won? Would he have at least been competitive?

I don't think he (Johnson) would have won Jab. Not even in his prime against Dempsey, although I think we disagree on that. I do, however, think JJ would have been somewhat competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
      I don't think he (Johnson) would have won Jab. Not even in his prime against Dempsey, although I think we disagree on that. I do, however, think JJ would have been somewhat competitive.
      I don't think he wins at that point either. I'm not even sure how competitive. Prime against prime is a different story though.

Good to see you around Terry. Happy new year, hope your holidays were great!

Comment

Dempsey batters him to a stoppage in 4 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          Dempsey batters him to a stoppage in 4 rounds.
          I think he's a bit more competitive than that but not sure how much. He was toying with Firpo in sparring and was a genuinely clever fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            I think he's a bit more competitive than that but not sure how much. He was toying with Firpo in sparring and was a genuinely clever fighter.
            A very worn out Wills beat Firpo though. A good boxer is always going to have a great time with the rugged Argentinian.

Comment

If myth is to be believed they did fight in Canada (?). Dempsey KO'd him early according to rumour! Don't buy into it myself but story has been doing the rounds for many a year.
              Johnson was a clever fighter but you can't fight out of your time. See it going like Holmes-Tyson, couple of rounds where experience shows up some flaws but youth will out

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                If myth is to be believed they did fight in Canada (?). Dempsey KO'd him early according to rumour! Don't buy into it myself but story has been doing the rounds for many a year.
                Johnson was a clever fighter but you can't fight out of your time. See it going like Holmes-Tyson, couple of rounds where experience shows up some flaws but youth will out
                Good analogy. Exactly how I anticipate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  A very worn out Wills beat Firpo though. A good boxer is always going to have a great time with the rugged Argentinian.
                  You could very well be right with your analogy, but if I'm not mistaken Wills was still the number one contender. Would have been nice to see Johnson fight some other high profile black contenders around this time considering he wouldn't while he was champion.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    You could very well be right with your analogy, but if I'm not mistaken Wills was still the number one contender. Would have been nice to see Johnson fight some other high profile black contenders around this time considering he wouldn't while he was champion.
                    Yeah but they were all going down the drain as well. Would be a case of too little too late.

Comment

Working...
                    X