No announcement yet.

LMAO! Duran - Leonard Commercials

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
    Boxing used to be so much bigger than what you obviously think.

A HW title fight was watched by every male across nearly all western countries. It was shown on free TV when boxing was among the most internationally known sports and watched by as many people as football etc.

Unless you remember it or lived during those times, it seems nearly impossible to understand how much bigger it was.

During the 60/70s it was normal to have a family night watching boxing on TV. Most people/families did it.

Back when Marciano, Louis, Dempsey, etc were champions every single person knew who they were. It was like knowing who Tiger Woods is nearly. Everyone listened to the fights on radio, watched them on TV. So, so different. It was a massive worldwide sport followed closely by just about every major country.

Also, you're just flat out wrong. If you showed a bunch of guys from the fifties a pic of Sonny Liston, they'd tell you exactly who he is. People who watch boxing or are associated with it would know Floyd and Pac, otherwise very few would. It's just a sad fact of what our favourite sport has become.

Think of all the guys who were on TV all the time just back in the 70s and 80s. Carlos Palomino was recognised as the face of Miller Lite, as were Alexis Arguello, Ray Mancini in various ads.

Roberto Duran appeared in Rocky, Miami Vice and other TV shows, movies and commercials. Boxers were like every sportsmen today in basketball, football, soccer etc. Everyone over here immediately recognises Jeff Fenech, Lester Ellis, Barry Michael, Johnny Famechon, Lionel Rose because they were all over TV every week. Hell, even Tony Mundine (Anthony Mundine's dad) was widely knonw because he was always on TV Ringside; a weekly boxing show that was one of the most watched shows of anything sports or general during the 60s, 70s and early 80s.
    IMO Duran and Leonard are not world stars.

Tyson and Ali are.

Everyone else is just famous;.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyBlayze View Post
      yep, if we were to focus our "random" search to old people, maybe
      Thing is old people in the 90s knew Tyson, Oscar, Lewis but they can't be bothered with most of the crowd that came up in the noughties.

Like I don't sit and watch the fight with the family anymore. Its with the same crowd I go drinking with.

We just party and watch boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by DET. IRONSIDE View Post
        Thing is old people in the 90s knew Tyson, Oscar, Lewis but they can't be bothered with most of the crowd that came up in the noughties.

Like I don't sit and watch the fight with the family anymore. Its with the same crowd I go drinking with.

We just party and watch boxing.
        Lewis and Oscar weren't even known world wide.

Show a pic of Tyson and Ali, to even 14 year odls today, and msot would know who they are.

Show a pic of Oscar, Leonard, Hagler, Duran etc... I can count on one hand out of 100 who would know them IMO.

Heck Rocky Balboa is more fmaous than those guys to the mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
          It's funny how many ramble about Pac and Mayweather being great well known boxers and having mainstream popularity.

Man, neither of those guys comes close to having the worldwide fame and recognition of many of the guys from older eras.

If you go to Australia and show some guy off the street a pic of Pac or Money Mai, I could just about guarantee they wouldn't have a clue who they are. Show them a pic of Oscar, Ali, Leonard, Tyson, Duran, Chavez, Holyfield etc and they know who it is immediately. I even remember some guys crapping on about Pac doing more and being bigger and more known worldwide than Ali.

The fame Pac has now used to be normal for the top champs of most eras. Boxing has dwindled in popularity so much that what he has done people think hasn't been done before. It's sad.

Anyway, great videos. Really are pure cheese.
          stupid post comparing times of yesteryears to NOW! relying only on pure personal opinion which is obviously never given serious thoughts. why dont you just STFU!

if you dont live in the times of ali, leonard, hagler, hearns duran, etc you dont know a thing about comparison. during those times people have few options, there are less distractions. no play stations no x-boxes. youre making an opinion based solely on your thinking that people know boxing forums only in the internet just like you building your life infront of the keyboard and monitor tuned in 24/7 to NSB. fyi theres a world outside of your computer where people live real lives.
          during those times there is no internet, if theres news about boxing people dont have many choices not to stop and have a look or hear about it. there are fewer news, fewer things available to choose from. if you scan the sports page of newspapers before there were fewer news to miss anything unlike today when newspapers are not the only medium where people can get information on so many sporting events that they individually wanted.

"Boxing has dwindled in popularity so much that what he has done people think hasn't been done before "

you are wrong, People are right what pacquiao has done and keep doing had not been done before, simply because circumstances today are far more different and complex than yesteryears. there is really no comparison, live with it and stop this bs threading.

Comment

Originally posted by tibbar View Post
            stupid post comparing times of yesteryears to NOW! relying only on pure personal opinion which is obviously never given serious thoughts. why dont you just STFU!

if you dont live in the times of ali, leonard, hagler, hearns duran, etc you dont know a thing about comparison. during those times people have few options, there are less distractions. no play stations no x-boxes. youre making an opinion based solely on your thinking that people know boxing forums only in the internet just like you building your life infront of the keyboard and monitor tuned in 24/7 to NSB. fyi theres a world outside of your computer where people live real lives.
            during those times there is no internet, if theres news about boxing people dont have many choices not to stop and have a look or hear about it. there are fewer news, fewer things available to choose from. if you scan the sports page of newspapers before there were fewer news to miss anything unlike today when newspapers are not the only medium where people can get information on so many sporting events that they individually wanted.

"Boxing has dwindled in popularity so much that what he has done people think hasn't been done before "

you are wrong, People are right what pacquiao has done and keep doing had not been done before, simply because circumstances today are far more different and complex than yesteryears. there is really no comparison, live with it and stop this bs threading.
            It's only January but the bolded may go down as the dumbest statement of 2011.

Comment

Now THAT is acting!

Comment

Originally posted by DET. IRONSIDE View Post
                You know this was filmed just before the No Mas fight?

Yeah! That early in their careers.

They had the deal to get the 7-up commerical and Leonard was like,

"No way am I gonna do the commercial unless Duran promises no cussin in fron to ma son!"

So sweet seeing that.
                I thought it was after the fight ?, Duran was kind around Leonard's family too and Leonard actually called him the perfect gentleman .

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                  I thought it was after the fight ?, Duran was kind around Leonard's family too and Leonard actually called him the perfect gentleman .
                  Both are gentlemen. Heck Duran seems a really fat happy guy now.

I think one of the Mayweather's have made respect for Duran too.

It goes to show, boxing is a job, and outside of the job, you are your real self.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu$$yKiller View Post
                    Both are gentlemen. Heck Duran seems a really fat happy guy now.

I think one of the Mayweather's have made respect for Duran too.

It goes to show, boxing is a job, and outside of the job, you are your real self.
                    I know, Leonard was expecting him to be aggressive and all outside of the ring as well though which is why he said
                    "No way am I gonna do the commercial unless Duran promises no cussin in fron to ma son!"
                    Duran was well known for being a charitable person, complete opposite once he got in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                      I know, Leonard was expecting him to be aggressive and all outside of the ring as well though which is why he said
                      Duran was well known for being a charitable person, complete opposite once he got in the ring.
                      Yes work is so different to real life.

I am an arsehole at work, it's aprt fo my job really as I manage people, but outside I am a nice guy.

I recall that in some documentary I have seen, but they are before my time. Emotions and mind games huh

Comment

Working...
                      X