No announcement yet.

I recorded the speed of my punches...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recorded the speed of my punches...

I'm bored and I can't go to the gym for one and a half months, so I decided to amateuristically record the speed of my punches using my brother's camera with 30 frames/sec... I just punched in the air a bit. A jab, a lead right, and a one-two.

I measured the speeds in 2 ways:

A) till arm is fully extended (aka: when you hit your target)
    Jab: 3 frames = 0.100s
    Lead right: 7 frames = 0.233s
    One-two: 9 frames = 0.300s

B) till body is rotated back to the original position (my feet werent completely back in place yet)
    Jab: 8 frames = 0.267s
    Lead right: 18 frames = 0.600s
    One-two: 20 frames = 0,667s

Please note that I used as perfect as possible technique. I have a european stance with my elbows tucked in, right hand touching cheek, left hand a bit out, left shoulder protecting chin, and most importanty: not squared at all!!

Feel free to measure your own speed the same way and compare... It won't mean that much since stance/technique can differ and 30 frames/sec isn't amazing. But as I said before, I'm bored

As a comparison, I just recorded me blinking and during the blink, my eyelids covered my pupils for 2 frames. So the duration you can't see during a blink is:
    2 frames = 0.067s

Again, it's not very accurate due to the 30 frames/sec so don't take this too seriously.

Comment

tx for the red k you fukn buffoon, they should ship your ass back to the zoo where you belong

Comment

Originally posted by pacman777 View Post
        tx for the red k you fukn buffoon, they should ship your ass back to the zoo where you belong
        If I knew your internet boxing forum reputation meant that much to you I wouldn't have done it.

I do think it's kinda funny now though...

Comment

Originally posted by Hearnsz View Post
          I'm bored and I can't go to the gym for one and a half months, so I decided to amateuristically record the speed of my punches using my brother's camera with 30 frames/sec... I just punched in the air a bit. A jab, a lead right, and a one-two.

I measured the speeds in 2 ways:

A) till arm is fully extended (aka: when you hit your target)
          Jab: 3 frames = 0.100s
          Lead right: 7 frames = 0.233s
          One-two: 9 frames = 0.300s

B) till body is rotated back to the original position (my feet werent completely back in place yet)
          Jab: 8 frames = 0.267s
          Lead right: 18 frames = 0.600s
          One-two: 20 frames = 0,667s

Please note that I used as perfect as possible technique. I have a european stance with my elbows tucked in, right hand touching cheek, left hand a bit out, left shoulder protecting chin, and most importanty: not squared at all!!

Feel free to measure your own speed the same way and compare... It won't mean that much since stance/technique can differ and 30 frames/sec isn't amazing. But as I said before, I'm bored
          The jab should be quicker than the eye. If I were you, I'd stop dicking around with the speed measuring bull**** and, since you got the time off, work on jumping rope and the slip bag..come back with monstrous stamina.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Glove View Post
            The jab should be quicker than the eye. If I were you, I'd stop dicking around with the speed measuring bull**** and, since you got the time off, work on jumping rope and the slip bag..come back with monstrous stamina.

Aren't you this guy?
            I just measured your jab and it was 2 frames on youtube until extended. Youtube handles 6 frames/sec so that's 0.333s. That's 3.333 times slower than mine. (and 5.555 times slower than the eye)
            And it took 5 frames to get it back into starting position, that's 0.833s. That's 3.121 times slower than mine.

I also measured your one-two.
            Until extended: 4 frames: 0.667s = 2.223 times slower than mine.
            Until brought back: 9 frames: 1.500s = 2.249 times slower than mine.

And also keep in mind your stance is pretty squared, so your punches should have actually been faster.

And FYI I already worked my stamina yesterday. And measuring that speed only took me like 3 minutes so there's plenty of time for other stuff relax.

Comment

Originally posted by Hearnsz View Post

Aren't you this guy?
              I just measured your jab and it was 2 frames on youtube until extended. Youtube handles 6 frames/sec so that's 0.333s. That's 3.333 times slower than mine. (and 5.555 times slower than the eye)
              And it took 5 frames to get it back into starting position, that's 0.833s. That's 3.121 times slower than mine.

I also measured your one-two.
              Until extended: 4 frames: 0.667s = 2.223 times slower than mine.
              Until brought back: 9 frames: 1.500s = 2.249 times slower than mine.

And also keep in mind your stance is pretty squared, so your punches should have actually been faster.

And FYI I already worked my stamina yesterday. And measuring that speed only took me like 3 minutes so there's plenty of time for other stuff relax.
              who the **** is that on the bag,lol

Comment

Now you need to make up a board with black bars an inch wide every other inch so not only can you measure how long it takes but the actual speed you travel at. MPH man

Comment

Originally posted by Ylem122 View Post
                  Now you need to make up a board with black bars an inch wide every other inch so not only can you measure how long it takes but the actual speed you travel at. MPH man
                  I could do that but I don't really care that much about the actual speed. This is more about the duration of a punch. With my 30 frames/s camera, my measurements can be (in the worst case) 1/30sec = 0.033s off.
                  So the slowest my jab is till extended would be 0.133s and the fastest 0.078s.
                  As I said before it's not extremely accurate. Youtube with 6 frames/s is much less accurate though: it can be 1/6sec off = 0.167s.

But since the jab for example happens in only 3 frames it's kinda useless to measure the actual speed because of the acceleration.

Comment

Frank Bruno's straight punch was 6320 newtons and the punch took only 0.1 seconds from start to finish.

So his straight punch was as fast as your jab.

Comment

Working...
                    X