Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to educate myself on the Big Four...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to educate myself on the Big Four...

... Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Duran.

These names I never stop hearing in any boxing discussion, and there's obviously a reason for that. Besides Hagler-Hearns (which I didn't enjoy as much as I thought), I'm very keen to see the other fights they had between them. So far I've been a firm '90s-'00s boxing fan, but I feel as though I absolutely must broaden my knowledge.

Therefore could somebody compile a list for me which places each and every fight of theirs in 'must-see' order, starting from the best one? This means all fights they had with each other, but not against others - at least not yet. One thing at a time.

I'd really appreciate anyone's efforts on this. :smile1:

Well you alreayd saw Hearns-Hagler, that was the best fight out of the bunch really.

Besides Hagler-Hearns to me this is the order.

1. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Marvin Hagler
    2. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Roberto Duran 1
    3. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Tommy Hearns 1
    4. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Roberto Duran 2 (The No Mas Fight)
    5. Tommy Hearns vs Roberto Duran
    6. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Tommy Hearns 2
    7. Marvin Hagler vs Roberto Duran
    8. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Roberto Duran 3

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
      1. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Marvin Hagler
      2. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Roberto Duran 1
      3. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Tommy Hearns 1
      4. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Roberto Duran 2 (The No Mas Fight)
      5. Tommy Hearns vs Roberto Duran
      6. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Tommy Hearns 2
      7. Marvin Hagler vs Roberto Duran
      8. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Roberto Duran 3
      Just what the doc ordered! I'll get on it tomorrow and grab those, providing they've been upped around here.

Are they mainly 15-round distance fights, are or there some KOs/stoppages in there?

Comment

please bear-in-mind that Hearns broke his famous right hand in the opening round against Hagler...

Comment

it was not just their great fights against eachother there was other fights that made these fighters the legends that they are like :
          Hearns v Benitez
          Duran v Benitez
          Leonard v Benitez
          Duran v Barkley
          Hearns v Barkley 1 & 2
          Duran v Moore
          Leonard v LaLonde
          Hagler v Antuofermo 1
          Duran v Palomino

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
            Just what the doc ordered! I'll get on it tomorrow and grab those, providing they've been upped around here.

Are they mainly 15-round distance fights, are or there some KOs/stoppages in there?
            I won't spoil them for you but yeah, there are a few stoppages in there.

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
              ... Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Duran.

These names I never stop hearing in any boxing discussion, and there's obviously a reason for that. Besides Hagler-Hearns (which I didn't enjoy as much as I thought), I'm very keen to see the other fights they had between them. So far I've been a firm '90s-'00s boxing fan, but I feel as though I absolutely must broaden my knowledge.

Therefore could somebody compile a list for me which places each and every fight of theirs in 'must-see' order, starting from the best one? This means all fights they had with each other, but not against others - at least not yet. One thing at a time.

I'd really appreciate anyone's efforts on this. :smile1:
              Get the book Four Kings by George Kimball. It gives a detailed account of each fight between the four in complete detail before, during and after. It also details each fighter's rise to prominence

Comment

Not including their fights with each other, I recommend watching these fights of them to either see really good fights, or some of their best performances/most significant fights.
                • Marvin Hagler: John Mugabi, Tony Sibson, Mustafa Hamsho (both fights), Caveman Lee
                • Roberto Duran: Iran Barkley, Esteban Dejesus (all 3 just for the hell of it), Davey Moore, Carlos Palomino, Pipino Cuevas
                • Ray Leonard: Davey Boy Green, Wilfred Benitez, Andy Price, Floyd Mayweather
                • Thomas Hearns: Pipino Cuevas, Wilfred Benitez, Virgil Hill, James Shuler, Iran Barkley (especially the first fight).

Among the Fab 4, Hagler-Hearns and Leonard-Duran 1 are the best fights. Leonard-Hearns 1 is tactical in large part, but great for shifts in momentum, and the fact that it's two undefeated ATGs at/near the top of their game. I actually thought their rematch was better in terms of action.

Leonard-Duran 3 is a horrible fight.

Comment

1. Hagler-Hearns is a terrific fight
                  2. Next Best is Leonard-Hearns 1
                  3. Then Leonard-Duran 1
                  4. Then maybe Duran-Hagler

Didn't really care for the others, Leonard-Hagler wasnt much good IMO and Leonard
                  Duran 3 is crap, so obvious both were there for the payday, and roberto legs looked to weigh about 120 kilos each from the way he moved

Comment

and of course i hate watching Hearns-Duran...

Comment

Working...
                    X