No announcement yet.

Matthysse Power at 147?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthysse Power at 147?

Do you guys think matthysse is big enough to fight some the guys at 147? Porter, Khan, Broner(could be at 140) thurman, mayweather? When i first heard this card i figured it was to hype a possible thurman matthysse but that don't appear to be the case. After watching last night I was thinking he looked like he would be a small 147 like broner was even tho he was fighting around 155 if im not mistaken. What do you guys think, can he fight at 147 successfully?

Matthysse isn't a big JWW, I don't know why he wants to move up. His power won't be the same at 147 imo.

Comment

No, he should stay at 140. The only fight worth going up for is Mayweather.

The likes of Porter, Thurman et al are too big for him.

Comment

well, i guess we might find out soon enough.

there are certain guys who would be better off not jumping divisions though. canelo springs to mind as well.

Comment

I think that Matthysse's previous fight with Danny Garcia has substantially aged him. He now appears more vulnerable than at any point of his career. For example, he looked like the weaker and smaller fighter in there against Molina; As his chin appeared much more brittle and his punches lacked the normal snap and pop on them as we are used to seeing also. Therefore carrying his power up in weight could be a real challenge for him as he is a small Jr.welterweight to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
            I think that Matthysse's previous fight with Danny Garcia has substantially aged him. He now appears more vulnerable than at any point of his career. For example, he looked like the weaker and smaller fighter in there against Molina; As his chin appeared much more brittle and his punches lacked the normal snap and pop on them as we are used to seeing also. Therefore carrying his power up in weight could be a real challenge for him as he is a small Jr.welterweight to begin with.
            He looked exactly the same as he did against Garcia imo, but bigger opponents are harder to break down as they take punches better. Molina and Garcia are big JWWs.

Comment

LM isnt a big dude - and maybe his power wont travel to 147 proportionally. But he'll be competitive as he's a tough dude, will still have nice power and lots of heart.

Comment

Majority of the fighters at 147 came from 140. I think he'll be fine. He's gaining a lot of weight after the weigh in and it could lead to him being sluggish in the ring. It may not be a problem yet but one could arise. I think his power would be fine at 147.

Maidana
                Bradley
                Pacquiao
                Alexander
                JMM
                Rios
                Provodnikov
                Lopez
                Khan
                Broner
                Mayweather

That's majority of the division. None of those men are that big and most recently moved up to WW (last few years).

Porter and Thurman are really the only two huge ww's that are in the mix.

Comment

Molina is almost 5-10 and weighed like 157 last night. He looked much bigger then Lucas but it said he weighed 157 last night as well. 17 pounds is a big number to rehydrate.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                    He looked exactly the same as he did against Garcia imo, but bigger opponents are harder to break down as they take punches better. Molina and Garcia are big JWWs.
                    Agreed, Weebler.

Comment

Working...
                    X