No announcement yet.

Dan Rafael: Bradley-Khan facing multiple obstacles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Rafael: Bradley-Khan facing multiple obstacles

Lots of weird stuff going on with the Golden Boy contracts. Looks like Khan's will expire after the Bradley fight.

Prescott is not being offered the fight so Peterson will be the best possible fight! Mubarak doesn't look like he's standing down either.

Bad day!

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...dan&id=6089540

Gary Shaw, the co-promoter of junior welterweight champ Timothy Bradley Jr., told ESPN.com that the target date for Bradley to meet titleholder Amir Khan in a unification bout is July 30, although it does not figure to be that easy.

Khan first has to win an April 16 interim fight in his native England, although he does not yet have an opponent as he and his team have been going through name after name -- but nobody has been willing to accept the fight for the frugal figures Khan is offering.

Finalizing Bradley-Khan, even if Khan wins his interim bout, likely will still be difficult. Bradley's contract with Shaw expires in June, according to Cameron Dunkin, Bradley's co-manager. They have made it clear they have no intention of re-signing with Shaw. There is likely a gray area in the contract about whether Shaw has matching rights.

Also, Khan's three-fight deal with Golden Boy is up after the April 16 fight, although Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com that he and the Khan camp are discussing a new two-fight deal. If they reach an agreement, Schaefer said they would throw out the last fight of the existing deal and replace it with a new one that would include better terms for the April bout with the second fight being in July -- ideally against Bradley.

Khan, meantime, still needs an opponent for April for a fight on that will be televised on HBO in the United States and on Sky Box Office pay-per-view in England.

The one opponent willing to take the fight for relatively short money is Breidis Prescott, who knocked Khan out in the first round in his only loss in 2008. However, he has not been offered the fight, despite a media blitz by the fighter and his co-promoters Leon Margules and Lou DiBella.

One of Khan's original targets was American Lamont Peterson, who fought a to draw with Victor Ortiz on Dec. 11 in Las Vegas on the undercard of Khan's dramatic decision victory against Marcos Maidana.

Peterson rejected multiple offers, including for $200,000 and was eliminated from contention. However, the sides rekindled talks this week and Peterson was offered $300,000. They continue talking.

Another name being mentioned, among several, is former titlist Junior Witter of England. Witter (37-3-2, 22 KOs), who held a belt from 2006 to 2008, is coming out of retirement. He lost his title to Bradley and later quit after eight rounds against Devon Alexander in a fight for a vacant title in August 2009.

"My manager, John Ingle, spoke to me about the Khan offer. I'm up for this 100 percent. It would be an opportunity too good to turn down fighting for a world title again," Witter said.

Witter is scheduled for his comeback fight Feb. 19 in Canada. It remains to be seen, however, whether HBO and Sky would accept Witter as an opponent.

If Khan Re-signs with GBP and Bradley goes to top rank then I don't see the fight happening in the short term as Arum and GBP seem to hate each other once again....

Comment

So it seems like Bradley will almost certainly not stay with Shaw. I hope he goes to GBP instead of Top Rank because we can see him in fights against Khan, Marquez, Maidana, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty FSM View Post
        So it seems like Bradley will almost certainly not stay with Shaw. I hope he goes to GBP instead of Top Rank because we can see him in fights against Khan, Marquez, Maidana, etc.
        Bradley could always go free agent for the Khan fight then sign with Top Rank.

Comment

$300k is a good offer for peterson, that is 3x what he made against ortiz. Im pretty sure that is way more than what he made against Bradley too. That is a good offer to someone who has recently drawn and lost a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by DET. IRONSIDE View Post
            Bradley could always go free agent for the Khan fight then sign with Top Rank.
            Bradley should sign a 2 fight deal with golden boy like khan, and do a co-main event card in the UK. Then do the khan-bradley fight. He could always go to Bob arum after that, especially if he wins the pacquiao fight would be a natural progression.

Comment

Both Khan and Bradley can make their fight without signing to any promoter, They could get an independent promoter in for just that fight, I like the fact that Bradley and Khan didnt have long-term deals with their promoters.

Comment

Damn mubarek

Comment

I wonder why Bradley wants to leave Shaw so bad??Is it because Top Rank and GBP won't deal with Shaw??Or is it deeper then that I wonder..Bradley should sign with GBP tbh there are more fights there imo for him to build his legacy against top young fighters..

I hope Peterson accepts the 300K,its a good purse for a fighter of his status..He also has a shot to beat the num2 fighter in his Div he has to go for it..

Comment

Originally posted by DET. IRONSIDE View Post
                    Lots of weird stuff going on with the Golden Boy contracts. Looks like Khan's will expire after the Bradley fight.

Prescott is not being offered the fight so Peterson will be the best possible fight! Mubarak doesn't look like he's standing down either.

Bad day!

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...dan&id=6089540
                    Peterson did good against Ortiz.I thought he improved a lil bit.
                    Good tune up I think.
                    Not bad management.

Comment

Working...
                    X