Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo fans, can you explain why he won't fight Golovkin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No Diggity View Post
    Weak chin. Not talented enough. Not enough money.

Why get KTFO'd by Golovkin at 160 and damage your rep when you can fight Pacquiao/Khan/Brook/Bradley/Garcia at 155 for 2-10x the money and a much higher win guarantee?

People will hate you, but you can keep cashing out for 2-3 years before fighting an older Golovkin(and still probably getting blitzed) or a Golovkin coming off a Ward beat down
    Canelo has never been knocked down in almost 50 pro fights. He has faced big punchers like Angulo, Mosley, Kirkland and Cotto and their punches never bothered him. That should redeem his chin from being hurt by Cotto's brother when he was a teenager. Contrary to your statement that Canelo has a weak chin Canelo has a great chin. He won't fight GGG because he doesn't want to get knocked out. That is the same exact reason that Martinez, Cotto, Kid Chocolate, Jacobs and Saunders won't fight GGG. Let's not pretend that Canelo is the only top middleweight who refuses to fight GGG. Canelo has never called out Pacquiao, Brook, Bradley, Khan or Garcia so why make **** up? Khan called Canelo out and Canelo said yes. Arum was the one wanting Bradley or Pacquiao to fight Canelo. That was never Canelo's idea and you should know damn well Canelo will never agree to fight either of them. Canelo doesn't want fans hating him because that will surely cost him money. You make it sound like Canelo goes out of his way to fight welterweights. Maybe you forgot his last 5 fights were with Trout, Angulo, Lara, Kirkland and Cotto. Not a single welterweight in the bunch. Keep on dreaming about Ward giving GGG a beatdown because in real life GGG would knock Ward's head off. Kovalev will take care of that bit of easy work for him. They both just fought opponents of equal quality. Ward won by his usual ud while GGG crushed his opponent in 5 minutes. That's how much better GGG is than Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      Canelo has never been knocked down in almost 50 pro fights. He has faced big punchers like Angulo, Mosley, Kirkland and Cotto and their punches never bothered him. That should redeem his chin from being hurt by Cotto's brother when he was a teenager. Contrary to your statement that Canelo has a weak chin Canelo has a great chin. He won't fight GGG because he doesn't want to get knocked out. That is the same exact reason that Martinez, Cotto, Kid Chocolate, Jacobs and Saunders won't fight GGG. Let's not pretend that Canelo is the only top middleweight who refuses to fight GGG. Canelo has never called out Pacquiao, Brook, Bradley, Khan or Garcia so why make **** up? Khan called Canelo out and Canelo said yes. Arum was the one wanting Bradley or Pacquiao to fight Canelo. That was never Canelo's idea and you should know damn well Canelo will never agree to fight either of them. Canelo doesn't want fans hating him because that will surely cost him money. You make it sound like Canelo goes out of his way to fight welterweights. Maybe you forgot his last 5 fights were with Trout, Angulo, Lara, Kirkland and Cotto. Not a single welterweight in the bunch. Keep on dreaming about Ward giving GGG a beatdown because in real life GGG would knock Ward's head off. Kovalev will take care of that bit of easy work for him. They both just fought opponents of equal quality. Ward won by his usual ud while GGG crushed his opponent in 5 minutes. That's how much better GGG is than Ward.
      I was under the impression that it was Team Canelo/GB that contacted Khan.

Also, I wouldn't put it past Canelo to accept a fight with Pacquiao. He's dragging a welterweight in Khan up to middleweight, why wouldn't he do that with the much more lucrative fight in Pacquiao? Or even Bradley for that matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Slyboots View Post
        I was under the impression that it was Team Canelo/GB that contacted Khan.

Also, I wouldn't put it past Canelo to accept a fight with Pacquiao. He's dragging a welterweight in Khan up to middleweight, why wouldn't he do that with the much more lucrative fight in Pacquiao? Or even Bradley for that matter?
        Khan said he approached DLH and made it so Oscar never had to deal with Haymon. Khan was very proud in fact, of working the deal himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Infamous View Post
          Not a fan... But he's going to fight GGG... And when he does haters will just find another reason to hate...
          OK... He had to fight GGG next, but he chose Khan instead... now team Canelo does anything but building the hype for a GGG fight... If Canelo would fight GGG in a year or two it doesn't count in the present situation...

Many say that Oscar doesn't want Canelo to fight now...

Comment

Originally posted by AvoidDisaster View Post
            Canelo said he wouldn't fight Golovkin?!... News to me.
            ... alt some?...

... he only said that he will fight him "some day"...

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
              OK... He had to fight GGG next, but he chose Khan instead... now team Canelo does anything but building the hype for a GGG fight... If Canelo would fight GGG in a year or two it doesn't count in the present situation...

Many say that Oscar doesn't want Canelo to fight now...
              GGG made a step aside agreement. That's on him.

Comment

Originally posted by creekrat77 View Post
                And before people jump in here about Ward. Yes, Golovkin walked away from that opportunity. But getting your shot at the lineal at 160 where you've made your bones is probably more important.
                But please, make your case. And for the record, the Khan fight is intriguing to me. A long shot for Khan, but I think Canelo is shooting himself in the foot from a star building standpoint by barely making 155 and choosing a very fast, potentially very very high rate offense, boxing savant with him.
                Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez has never fought at 160lbs, he's said that he's not physically ready to fight at 160lbs, and his camp and promoter have backed his statement.

Alvarez has offered to fight Golovkin at 155, and Golovkin's camp has balked at even taking the fight at 159lbs.

As long as he's making 155 fine, why bother with going up any weight, especially to fight a guy who does worse business? Hand Golovkin his third belt, let him likely spend the rest of his career fighting or regular HBO, and move on to other fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  Khan said he approached DLH and made it so Oscar never had to deal with Haymon. Khan was very proud in fact, of working the deal himself.
                  This article says otherwise

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...-khan-was-made

He said the names mentioned were "all speculation. People were just throwing names out there. So the way it came about was we said to ourselves, what fighter can create a mega event with Canelo? What fighter have we worked with in the past? What fighter has no promoter? I instantly thought about Amir Khan.

"He's an exciting fighter. He's never in a boring fight and he deserves a big fight. Floyd Mayweather didn't want to fight him. Passed him over. Manny Pacquiao didn't want to fight him. Passed him over. I thought, 'Let's put him up against Canelo Alvarez.'"

De La Hoya said he is the one who thought of Khan for Alvarez about two weeks after the Cotto fight.
                  I also recall a quote from Khan saying that he was hesitant to accept the fight but after watching tape on Canelo, he was confident that he could win and finally accepted. Which also implies that he was contacted for a Canelo fight, not vice versa.
                  Last edited by Slyboots; 04-30-2016, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
                    GGG made a step aside agreement. That's on him.
                    ... GGG made a step aside agreement as regarding the Cotto-Canelo fight...
                    Is it public another step aside agreement as for the Khan fight? I didn't notice...

... and did he agreed on a step aside agreement that Canelo will fight him "some day"?..

Comment

Originally posted by CatchAndShoot View Post
                      Only Pacquiao would get him more money than a GGG fight. I don't think the money excuse is valid. Now, if you're saying the pay relative to the ass whooping he'd take isn't beneficial to him right now, then I'd agree. But using $$$ as an excuse eisnt a valid excuse. People know GGG now, and I'd venture to say, that's a bigger money fight than any other fight besides Pacquaio.

Khand not exactly a needle mover among US fans. The fans that actually have to pay to watch a PPV.
                      Pacquiao(have to agree on the weight), a Cotto rematch, and a Marquez fight (have to agree on the weight) all put more money in Alvarez's pocket than a Golovkin fight; as will the Khan fight next week (UK TV money isn't something to turn your nose up at).

Golovkin's camp putting the Lemieux fight on PPV and only doing 100k PPV buys ****ed his entire negotiating position.

You add that, in addition to bringing **** business to the fight, Golovkin and his camp are trying to dictate terms for the fight, and I don't get why Alvarez/Golden Boy are even talking with the guy still.

Comment

Working...
                      X