No announcement yet.

Has Broner come at a bad time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Broner come at a bad time?

Ya I know this is another Broner thread, but i'm not a fan or hater so i'm hoping the thread might have some decent debate.

Mayweather gets a lot of his exposure from HBO by being labelled as the best P4P in the world, much like Pacquiao did. The celebrities of the world go to watch the best fighter in the business - its just what they do.

So if Broner aspires to "take over" the sport, he would need to be P4P the best in the sport right?

Well i'm not sure how hes going to do that. Andre Ward is here, he's young and also has a long future ahead of him. He's literally dominated a heated division without hardly breaking a sweat. HBO already call him the 2nd best American fighter, and Mayweather isn't going to be around much longer. This, then makes Ward the heir to the throne.

And I really can't see anyone who is going to beat Andre Ward, at 168, 175. Ward won gold at Light Heavy. If there's noone in sight to even bother Ward, how is Broner going to take over the sport as Mayweather is supposed to have done.

Can you be the "face of boxing" without actually being the best fighter in the game?

I think you can be the face of boxing without being the best. But I don't think that Broner will with his current attitude. Ward is beating just about anyone he can and still is not very well known compared to the likes of Mayweather or Pacquiao

Comment

Broner is an entertainer. He is starting to attract a lot of fans and haters that tune in to see him lose. Broner talks a lot of smack but also has the skills to back it up. Andre ward is boring.

Without a doubt he will be an attraction 2-3years from now.

Comment

He came at a great time, could you imagine if the likes of Castillo, Casamayor, Corrales, Morales, Marquez etc. were sniffing around his weight class right now? I'd also pick a prime Judah to do him over.

Comment

I hate that Andre Ward is boring argument. This is boxing. The point is to box. If you could make Ward & Broner the exact same size, Ward would box circles around Broner. Yet Broner, because he talks a lot ****, acts like a clown, ring walks to himself rapping, and drops lame one-liners -- now he's some dope ass entertainer who is worth more recognition then arguably the best pound for pound boxer on the planet in Ward?

SMH

Comment

"has he come at a bad time?"

i hadn't really thought about it but yeah i could well imagine has he sexual performance issues. i mean it's not surprising with that weird hair brushing thing going on, it's just not right for a man of his age...

Comment

No, he'll be fine. Ward has dominated, but I'm not sure if he can top what he's done for some time. Broner has some more than dangerous competition that he could potentially face (key word...potentially). Donaire also who's not exactly that old. Canelo will be there too if he keeps winning that way.

Ward is a likeable guy but he's not particularly media friendly with his persona (most would consider him kind of dull tbh). I think Ward is going to taper off for about a year or so (unless he fights Froch/Kessler again I suppose, or winner of Pascal/Bute would be cool) in terms of the gauntlet he just went through. Unfortunately I get the feeling Ward will come to be under appreciated in the public eye.
              Last edited by NearHypnos; 02-19-2013, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Yeah he can become the best. Ward already beat everybody at 168 and still wants to stay their and wanted pavlik which does nothing for nobody. And that's all the fights left for ward unless one of the dirrells will finally fight him.

If Broner goes on a mean streak at 140 and gets a title at 147 he can catch up. Of course Ward could make it hard to catch up by becoming lineal at 175 but its not impossible broner has the potential.

I'm not saying he will I'm not sold on em yet I'm just saying if ward keeps fighting meaningless fights at 168 an broner somehow dominated Lucas, Garcia, Rios and Peterson then he can definitely make an argument. Especially if he moved up and started walking through kell brook, mike Jones, Alexander, madaian or the maginilis and gets a belt or 2 he'd really have a case.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                X