No announcement yet.

Man shot 13 times by police

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
    to maniac, and im so sorry, just so, so sorry - exactly. it's not a difficult idea to understand that if you do the exact opposite of what a police officer tells you to do, you're going to get shot.

lol, the cop even said "Ernie, I'm going to shoot you if you don't stop."
    It's no surprise he knew him by name, probably a repeat felon.

But like any logical human should know, you should probably listen to the cop with the gun. Maybe don't pull out a knife, just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by ANDROIDISM View Post
      The victim was moving and looked to be reaching for something. The cop did overreact. First off you don't get out of your patrol car and confront the guy. He should have drawn his gun and stayed behind his door and evaluated the threat, instead of rushing towardspoint him and drawing his gun.
      I'm sure he'd be happy to defer his years of training and experience to your five minutes of watching youtube.

The way he kept yelling at that poor girl that came out to realize her loved one was shot to death on the floor made me sick.
      Because nobody has ever come out of a house and shot back at police.

Then the dumb muther fuker keeps his gun drawn on him as if he's still a threat while he lays there motionless dead.
      He's still a threat until you're sure he's not a threat.

Comment

Turns out he's a gang member who had served three prison stints for convictions stemming from methamphetamine possession, reckless evasion of police in a stolen vehicle and assault with a deadly weapon. Not surprised.

Comment

its very simple if an officer has his firearm drawn and orders you to get down you must obey.

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
            Turns out he's a gang member who had served three prison stints for convictions stemming from methamphetamine possession, reckless evasion of police in a stolen vehicle and assault with a deadly weapon. Not surprised.
            some people never learn

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
              Looked like cop was waiting for the described truck to come by. .

Cop knew him by name so that tells me the guy was a known offender, and he was almost certainly serving an arrest warrant on him.

Looks completely justifiable to me. You keep your ****ing hands in the air, or do exactly what the cop tells you to do when he has a gun drawn on you. What kind of dumbass, or either violent person with intent to not be apprehended reaches for something when a cop is screaming with a gun on them?

I don't think people can really say a police officer overreacted when they haven't seen what cops have seen. Nor know the offender, and situation he was dealing with.

If evidence comes out otherwise, I'll concede the cop acted overzealously. But even then, he was within every right to open fire, and shoot to kill when you see a suspect reaching for something after being told NOT TO DO THAT.

The guy was not holding the knife. It was in the bed of his truck. Police were looking for him for an assault (domestic violence) the guy committed earlier that day. They were told he had the knife. The prosecutors at first wanted the cop charged because he made the mistake of thinking the guy was reaching for a knife, when in fact he was trying to untangle himself from his seatbelt. The cop was cleared of wrongdoing by them later on though.
              Last edited by deanrw; 12-14-2012, 08:03 AM.

Comment

It all comes down to this though. Would you do the same in the cops situation? I would. The guy was a known gang banger with a history of violence, in fact he committed an act of violence the very same day. He would not listen to the cops commands and instead it appeared he was reaching back into the truck for something (they were told by his wife he had a throwing knife), and the cop has to assume it is a weapon of any kind. We know now it was only to untangle his leg, but the cop did not know that.

When in a highly charged situation like that, one blink of an eye of hesitation on the cops part could very well mean the loss of their own life.

Comment

For me, I think that as a police officer you should do everything NOT to just shoot someone in their front yard.

Now let's look at what happened.

The officer was waiting for him to drive by, when he did, he approached the truck with his gun drawn. Ok, that's fine because he's a convicted felon and is a dangerous person.

I never saw him go at the cop, whether he had a knife or not is hard to tell but he didn't lunge at the police officer from what I saw. He wasn't complying in putting his hands up and I understand that could be taken that he might do something but I do think the cop overreacted somewhat coming out so aggressive ready to shoot it seemed.

What I didn't like about the video, is not necessarily the shooting but how many times he shot him and then continues to shoot him in the back when he was down. He just unloaded on the guy even when he was on the ground. Then they handcuff him when he's obviously either dead or dying. He wasn't moving from what I saw, and they even dragged him.

We need to understand that the police is NOT judge and jury in this country. Regardless of how you feel about the person shot, or whether he was a bad person, we can't just be driving around and executing people.

I'm not saying the shooting wouldn't have happened or wasn't necessary, I just thought the way it went down was excessive and might have been prevented if the officer had taken a less aggressive route.

Comment

If I were the cop I'd maintain my distance and tell the suspect to get onto the floor. If he approaches, I'd shoot at his legs. If a gun was brandished then that's a completely different story but the cop in the video was far too hasty and panicked.

People that allow their adrenaline to take over them like that should not be police officers. The fact he shot the guy so many times shows how out of control of the situation the officer was.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                      If I were the cop I'd maintain my distance and tell the suspect to get onto the floor. If he approaches, I'd shoot at his legs. If a gun was brandished then that's a completely different story but the cop in the video was far too hasty and panicked.

People that allow their adrenaline to take over them like that should not be police officers. The fact he shot the guy so many times shows how out of control of the situation the officer was.
                      If you were a cop you would be trained NOT to shoot at his legs. When a situation becomes a life threatening, you shoot to kill period. This is why cops need to see your hands at all times. If they do not, they have to assume the worst. They cannot wait to see if the guy pulls a gun, as it would only take a millisecond for them to get a shot off. This is not the wild west quick draw game.

Are there cops who over react to situations? Yes. We see it all the time. This situation though, they guy was dangerous and was not complying.

Comment

Working...
                      X