Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it okay to be proud of your heritage and race?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EdWins View Post
    nobody is saying you are guilty of anything. But the fact remains: The KKK and Neo Nazis have terrorized people of color for generations and their slogans were white power/white pride.... therefor it is mot appropriate to say that. If it was POC who terrorized whites and said "Brown Power" or whatever then we wouldn't be allowed to say it either, but WE are the victims. We never burned crosses on white peoples front yards and lynched yall come on....
    Whos we? Did any of these things happen to you?

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
      No, this is “the guilt by association” fallacy. By no effort or fault of my own was I born white, therefore I should not be punished by the actions of others (in the group identity).

What about all the great innovations, inventions and contributions to humanity that white people are responsible for? Why is it always the negative things attributed to whites?

think of all the great contributions they wouldn't ahve without slave labor. or what indigenous or otherwise wiped out peoples could have achieved.

historically when you are talking about matters in which the distinction of race was important whites have committed various levels and amonts of genocide, among other things.

so here you are, making a distinction about your race and people who aren't a part of it. and good is intended or will come of it this time? why do we celebrate that distinction? why even make it? the answer is almost always racism.

do you think whites have histprically been a superior race of people? i don't mean genetically, i mean that they have a better "track record," let's call it. i'd argue for nothing, that one's race is not a distinction about which to be proud. but one might argue the opposite of what you seem to think; that the bad has outweighed the good and that whites should not be proud in the historical context of the harm that has been done where the distinction of race is concerned. similarly to why i'd

why even make a distinction regarding the race of people or groups who have "advanced" humanity if the rhetoric is not racist? wouldn't that be the idea? if you think whites advanced the race further than other races that you're a racist.

maybe i'm rambling, this is not my most coherent post, but surely you have to understand why it can be perceived as racist to celebrate your own whiteness in the context of history and humanity's "advancement."

Comment

pride in one's race or nationalisms or isms otherwise typically do more harm than good. you've got very little identity or meaning elsewhere in your life if your race is hugely significant to you.

NE .02.

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
          Whos we? Did any of these things happen to you?
          No of course not but I have experienced modern day racism I've been assaulted by a white poloce officer, I've been racial profiled and asked for proof of citizenship, I've been called a *******, a spic, and even the N word.

point still stands, the phrases "White power/White pride" have been blacklisted and it is YOUR ancestors fault for that...

still its ok to be proud to br white ypu just cant say those phrases thats all, unless u want to get ya ass whooped lol

Comment

Originally posted by EdWins View Post
            No of course not but I have experienced modern day racism I've been assaulted by a white poloce officer, I've been racial profiled and asked for proof of citizenship, I've been called a *******, a spic, and even the N word.

point still stands, the phrases "White power/White pride" have been blacklisted and it is YOUR ancestors fault for that...

still its ok to be proud to br white ypu just cant say those phrases thats all, unless u want to get ya ass whooped lol
            Your? Im 1/4 Indian.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                pride in one's race or nationalisms or isms otherwise typically do more harm than good. you've got very little identity or meaning elsewhere in your life if your race is hugely significant to you.

NE .02.
                What you're describing is "identity politics" and is what I am arguing against in this thread.

Mayor Walsh was castigated in that Boston Globe article I posted for not supporting Ayanna Presley because of race. Maybe I'm interpreting the article incorrectly but that's what I got out of it.

I want to live in a world where we are not obsessed with race but right now, it seems like that is a very important factor.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                    Yes, this is the sensible and ethical way to think about race. However, there are people on the left that are obsessed with skin color/race and inject that obsession into politics, culture, sports, business, everything. It’s a big problem in this country and is making us more tribal and partisan.
                    Well, I think it's obvious to me, why both the left and the right are so obsessed with color. They're obsessed about it for different reasons.

To say that only side thinks about race/color, is looking at it in favor of 'your' side.

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
                      Your? Im 1/4 Indian.
                      lol yeah ok

Comment

Working...
                      X