No announcement yet.

Greatest French fighter(s)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest French fighter(s)?

Who in your mind is the greatest French fighter and why? I think many will say Marcel Cerdan. He may well deserve that honour. I also think Fabrice Tiozzo is among the top 3 greatest French fighters. Laurent Boudouani is def among the top 5. Tiozzo's brother Christophe was also a fine middle/super middleweight.

Can't remember any others at the moment...Mormeck is counted as French, isn't he? Although he was born outside of France, so I dunno...

Bruno and Christophe Girard, are they brothers? Bruno is def one of the best French fighters. He has won two world titles at two different weights.

Comment

Georges Carpentier
      Marcel Cerdan

Comment

Don't forget about Georges Carpentier. He fought from flyweight to heavyweight. He was the world light heavyweight champion for about 2 years and, even though he didn't win, he fought Jack Dempsey for the heavyweight title.

He holds wins over Harry Lewis, Battling Levinsky, Ted (Kid) Lewis and Gunboat Smith.

Pretty impressive.

Comment

Ah, yes! Carpentier. The WW2 hero and all that. He was favored against Dempsey, by the public that is. They wanted him to win.

Comment

1) Marcel Cerdan
            2) Georges Carpentier
            3) Fabrice Tiozzo
            4) Laurent Boudouani
            5) Jean Marc Mormeck

Anaclet Wamba, the other Tiozzo are good fighters too. In a couple of years, I think this kid will make some noise:

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
              Georges Carpentier
              Marcel Cerdan
              They would be my two

Comment

Originally posted by Cotto-Rulez View Post
                1) Marcel Cerdan
                2) Georges Carpentier
                3) Fabrice Tiozzo
                4) Laurent Boudouani
                5) Jean Marc Mormeck

Anaclet Wamba, the other Tiozzo are good fighters too. In a couple of years, I think this kid will make some noise:

Yes, Wamba is underated. Was WBC CW champ for years without anybody knowing his name.

Comment

Carpentier followed by Cerdan, without doubt.. Johnny Famechon deserves a mention to, although fought out of Australia..

Wamba, who I agree was dreadfully underrated, was originally from the Congo in Africa..
                  However, he fought out of France.. I seem to remember him being WBC champ & on a long winning streak when his career suddenly came to an abrupt halt.. Anyone know why?... I know he was down to fight Tommy Hearns at one stage, but the fight never came off..

There's been some good fighting brothers from France to.. Famechon's, Tiozzo's, Acares's, Girard's..

Bourdouani, Mormeck are also good fighters.. Renee Jarquot who beat Don Curry for one of the L/M titles, wasn't bad either..

Comment

Yeah, Carpentier and Cerdan definitely. Djelkir looked ok. Needed better defense on the way in though, he could have been tagged constantly by someone with a good jab. If he could lose a little weight, trim down a little bit and get a stiff jab going along with the good head movement on the way in he would go well. He had pretty fast hands on the inside.

What division was it and what's his record so far?

Comment

Working...
                    X