Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Liston throw the 2nd fight with Ali?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Liston throw the 2nd fight with Ali?

Why did Sonny Liston throw the 2nd fight with Muhammad Ali.

Why did he train so hard if he was going to throw the fight?

I know there were death threats on Muhammad Ali's life.Real death threats.Then the muslims put out death threats on Sonny Liston's life.The boxing writers at ringside were wearing bullet proof vests,and women's purses coming to the fight were being checked.

Does all of this somehow have something to do with Liston taking a dive? Did the mob have something to do with Sonny taking a dive? Why would the mob want there man to take a dive?

People forget about Listons mafia and their attempt at cheating by blinding ALi's eyes.

"Liston had ties to organized crime. In 1952, after serving two years in prison, he was paroled to a team of boxing handlers with ties to John Vitale, a St. Louis underworld figure. Six years later, Frankie Carbo and Blinky Palermo, top Mafia figures in the Northeast, became the majority owner of Liston's contract. Carbo was later indicted on conspiracy, multiple counts of undercover management of prizefighters and unlicensed matchmaking. Liston fought 12 fights under their control."

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Frankie Carbo and Blinky Palermo had a piece of Liston for a time. I don't think their is any proof of either Liston or his opponents ever taking a dive. Liston simply destroyed his opponents and when Ali beat him it was because he was the better man. I've heard conspiracy theories on both Ali fight and neither hold water and are easily debunked in my opinion. Being a bad guy and having associations doesn't automatically make a fighter corrupt. Wise guys have always hovered around boxing.
    Last edited by Vadrigar.; 07-01-2010, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boxing boy View Post
      Why did Sonny Liston throw the 2nd fight with Muhammad Ali.

Why did he train so hard if he was going to throw the fight?

I know there were death threats on Muhammad Ali's life.Real death threats.Then the muslims put out death threats on Sonny Liston's life.The boxing writers at ringside were wearing bullet proof vests,and women's purses coming to the fight were being checked.

Does all of this somehow have something to do with Liston taking a dive? Did the mob have something to do with Sonny taking a dive? Why would the mob want there man to take a dive?
      Only Liston knows the answer and he took it to the grave with him. But it was a blatant dive as far as im concerned.

Comment

It was the 1st fight after Ali become a Muslim, he became like a figurehead for them, couldn't have one of their main figures loosing now could they, especially after everything he said.

They told Liston to lose or he dies, I'm guessing anyway.

Malcom X being assassinated a few months before the fight for going against the muslim leader (? don't know the full story behind it) must of struck fear into him as he was going against the Muslim champion of the world.
        Last edited by NChristo; 07-01-2010, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -D33Pwaters- View Post
          People forget about Listons mafia and their despicable attempt at cheating by blinding ALi's eyes.

"Liston had ties to organized crime. In 1952, after serving two years in prison, he was paroled to a team of boxing handlers with ties to John Vitale, a St. Louis underworld figure. Six years later, Frankie Carbo and Blinky Palermo, top Mafia figures in the Northeast, became the majority owner of Liston's contract. Carbo was later indicted on conspiracy, multiple counts of undercover management of prizefighters and unlicensed matchmaking. Liston fought 12 fights under their control."
          But why would the mob want THERE MAN to take a dive?

They were making alot of money with Liston winning,especially being the Heavyweight Champion of the World.Back then the mob wanted "there man" to win.

Comment

Originally posted by boxing boy View Post
            But why would the mob want THERE MAN to take a dive?

They were making alot of money with Liston winning,especially being the Heavyweight Champion of the World.Back then the mob wanted "there man" to win.
            Wait, are you assuming that the fight was fixed or are we debating the motives?

Comment

joining the nation of islam was clearly alis biggest mistake, he was young and got fooled by them.
              imo he realized too late that he was brainwashed all the years, or was just scared they could kill him just like they killed malcom x.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                It was the 1st fight after Ali become a Muslim, he became like a figurehead for them, couldn't have one of their main figures loosing now could they, especially after everything he said.

They told Liston to lose or he dies, I'm guessing anyway.

Malcom X being assassinated a few months before the fight for going against the muslim leader (? don't know the full story behind it) must of struck fear into him as he was going against the Muslim champion of the world.
                Yes,the muslims did put out a threat on Liston's life.But Ali also had a threat on his life.A real threat! It was probably the mob? So why would Sonny take a dive?

Comment

Originally posted by -D33Pwaters- View Post
                  Wait, are you assuming that the fight was fixed or are we debating the motives?
                  Everybody knows the 2nd fight was fixed.

Yes,were debating the motives why Sonny would take a dive?

Comment

I think he went down the same as jersey joe did in the marciano 2nd fight, he just didn't want to go through what he did in the first fight.

On youtube comments though I did have an arguement with someone who thought it was legit. Hell, even ali didn't think it was legit till one of his ppl said it was and convinced him.

That shot was a flash kd at best, esp. for a fighter who took some of cleveland williams best shots and didn't get knockeddown

Comment

Working...
                    X