Collapse
No announcement yet.

JIM LAMPLEY: "Victor ORTIZ Is The Strongest Welterweight I've Ever Seen"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know about all that, but something is for sure, Jim is the gayest announcer I have ever seen.

Comment

ive never wrestled him or any other ww so i dont know

Comment

Originally posted by dancovboxer View Post
        A bigger muscle isn't always a stronger one.

Ortiz is very top heavy which likely attributes to his poor balance & bad footwork.
        His back is very wide (big lats) - Not ideal in my personal opinion.

This is why Floyd was able to turn him with such ease & the only reason he bulled Floyd was because Floyd was on the defence at the time.
        A functional (in-ring) weight advantage DOES have an advantage. Specifically, when you put your weight on the smaller man. no matter how strong the smaller guy is, you force him to use his strength and energy in pushing you off.

I agree that muscle SIZE and STRENGTH aren't purely correlated. But call it R-squared of 0.7.

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Galarga View Post
          I don't know about all that, but something is for sure, Jim is the gayest announcer I have ever seen.
          Don't sleep on Jim. He will slap a b!tch.

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
            So, you are posting in a pointless thread? How smart is that?
            It's only to remind u to stop making them.

Comment

On Saturday night, Jim Lampley seemed to fall in love with Ortiz' physique. He commented on it three times. Victor Ortiz was 164 pounds in the ring.

1) "While Floyd Mayweather has the sleek body that ring tacticians prefer, Victor Ortiz has ripples everywhere. A 21st century body"

2) "Look at Ortiz' back. He looks like an aircraft carrier"

3) "Victor Ortiz is the strongest Welterweight that I've ever seen"

Do you agree with Lampley? Is Victor Ortiz (among) the strongest (or strongest-looking) welterweight that you've ever seen?

Gino, You called a great strategy a few weeks ago. It made some good sense. You said everyone who fights May thinks that just coming in winging is going to win the fight. But what about making him lead? Making him chase? Making him feel down in the cards and need to make up for it by being aggressive and making mistakes?

Pac wouldn't do as good simply because he isnt a "bull" type of fighter. He would throw nonstop, leave nonstop openings and be countered, nonstop.

I thought Ortiz did pretty good against May, I dont think Pac would be as successful.

Ortiz had a good gameplan and it was to let May lead sometimes and bullrush in the middle of his leads. I think his overall plan was to make it a grueling fight, but his problem was he didn't know how to make it that kind of fight without making his fouls obvious. His fault for his loss regardless.

To answer your question though, Ortiz is up there with the bigger WW's strength wise.

Comment

no way is he the strongest ever. He's big for right now but come on. Look at guys like Margairto, Cotto, Clottey, Mayorga, Mosley. Back in the day with big WW's like Hearns, SRL, and so on. Even guys like Tito, Forrest, Quartay

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                  no way is he the strongest ever. He's big for right now but come on. Look at guys like Margairto, Cotto, Clottey, Mayorga, Mosley. Back in the day with big WW's like Hearns, SRL, and so on. Even guys like Tito, Forrest, Quartay
                  Ortiz is significantly bigger than Cotto. And stronger.

Hearns was a TALL welter...but was he strong? Forrest also wasn't a 'strong' guy.

Clottey is probably 'strong' if you put him on a bech or hand him some weights. But his fight style imposes zero percent of his strength on you. He is like K9.

Comment

Not if you don't fight right, or can't apply that strength advantage.

BTW, Saturday's version of Ortiz beats Mosley.
                    That's true. That's why there are currently only few certain Boxers who can utilizing their height and reach advantage to the fullest. I can see Ortiz easily overwhelming Shane. Question is though, how would he react to Shane's power? Shane is shot to ****, but he still has devastating punching power when he set his punches.

Comment

Everyone is built naturally a little differently,some guys have broader shoulders and thicker chests but also have smaller forearms and hands at the same time.

Size is just like everything else in boxing,it's only a variable factor. It's like a longer reach,sure it can be an advantage but it's not a determining factor in who will win.

Simple explanation is exactly this = a bigger guy isn't always a better fighter but an old analogy in boxing says a good big man will always beat a good little man,and it makes perfect sense!

BTW 14 pounds ain't ****,how many pounds did vitali outweigh adamek by,30? Lots of fighters have been outweighed by much more come fight night than ortiz outweighed may.

Comment

Working...
                      X