Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clottey planned on Pac slowing down, and it didn't happen.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
    Yes Clottey looked terrible in every round except the 3rd where he was competitive. He did not show the heart of a champion and that is what separates the champions from the rest. It does not make him a bum though.

He simply came in to it over his head and his defensive instincts took over. It has happened to scores of fighters in the past and will continue to happen as long as this sport remains alive.

I do see your point Burner and a part of me agrees with much of what you say. My point is that it is not all black and white and sometimes the mind can override the heart. I will say I wish he could have better represented himself in there. He is a very prideful guy and failed. I personally feel bad for him because we all know he could have made it a more competitive fight. He just failed.
    Good post. I see where you're coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
      "He had no courage" Lenny De Jesus

Written by Rey Colon, Special Envoy Sunday March 14,

TEXAS - More than defeated, the Puerto Rican coach Lenny De Jesus face reflected frustration that Joshua Clottey did not meet the agreed plans to face Manny Pacquiao, he strictly got imited to remain upright for 12 rounds and so to show up Freddie Roach.

He had no balls, in spanish, No te tuvo los cojones, De jesus said. The training that was given was terrific but changed when Pacquiao began to throw lots of punches. He was honest with me and said 'Lenny I didnt wanted to give Roach the satisfaction of Pacquiao stopping me in the fight. I wanted to last the 12 rounds. "That's what he told me later in the clubhouse. I would have liked to have taken this fight to Wilfredo Gómezto teach Clottey how a real man fight. Gomez was a real man," revealed the Ponceńo trainer.

Between rounds, De Jesus was trying to convince Clottey to be more aggressive but the African refused to follow those instructions and has apparently opted to make his own game plan.

"I told him he had to throw more punches, be creative and open up a bit to throw his own. But you saw, got stuck. No shot. He lost all the rounds. He wanted to last the 12 rounds. I could not put to fight for it. And he did not heed what he explained. He knew and I said it, did not want to open the guard. He threw two or three right uppercuts and not let go. The left stagnant, "he said.

The 160 pounds that Clottey weighted in the fight did not affect him or his performance.

"No, that was no factor. This weight is perfect. Maybe he got into his mind or which was to last twelve rounds to not give the satisfaction to Roach. I wasnt with that mentality. He didnt want to take the chance because most WW's have big power. The little man won, the big one didnt do what was expected.

My case, rested.
      You can rest your case based on someone elses opinion. I rested mine on my own opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Glock View Post
        he slows down.

not all the time but sometimes.

he won't slow down if you just let him tee off though.

Exactly...Clottey barely moved when pacquiao was throwing his combos...and with rest between rounds...he just kept doing it over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
          Yes Clottey looked terrible in every round except the 3rd where he was competitive. He did not show the heart of a champion and that is what separates the champions from the rest. It does not make him a bum though.

He simply came in to it over his head and his defensive instincts took over. It has happened to scores of fighters in the past and will continue to happen as long as this sport remains alive.

I do see your point Burner and a part of me agrees with much of what you say. My point is that it is not all black and white and sometimes the mind can override the heart. I will say I wish he could have better represented himself in there. He is a very prideful guy and failed. I personally feel bad for him because we all know he could have made it a more competitive fight. He just failed.
          I agree... I would have loved to see him do more, or try harder.. but at no point will you see me calling him a coward or a disgrace to the sport. He was just in over his head, and out matched in every sense of the word. He is just not on that level..

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
            You can rest your case based on someone elses opinion. I rested mine on my own opinion.
            When that "someone" is the trainer---I do think it's relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by rao007 View Post
              When that "someone" is the trainer---I do think it's relevant.
              It's not even his trainer.. he was a substitute.

Comment

Basically Clottey was overwhelmed and whatever 'real gameplan' he had just evaporated.

Comment

Originally posted by rao007 View Post
                  Exactly...Clottey barely moved when pacquiao was throwing his combos...and with rest between rounds...he just kept doing it over and over.
                  he let pac throw combos and then pac would just back up take a couple of breaths and then do it again.

that doesn't tire someone out.

he needs to make pacquiao move/fight when he's trying to get those few seconds of rest/breath.

man , just talking about this is frustrating.

lame fight. lame gamplan. lame fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                    I agree... I would have loved to see him do more, or try harder.. but at no point will you see me calling him a coward or a disgrace to the sport. He was just in over his head, and out matched in every sense of the word. He is just not on that level..
                    Exactly. I mean I just think too many were expecting too much from him. He is a good solid fighter, but not elite. We also all know the aura Manny carries around with him now. Could not get his own trainer and basically brought in to pad someones record.

All that **** can play on someones mind. Manny has been accused of roiding because of how he can intimidate these days. Fighters have strong but fragile psyches and it can take very little to lose it in there.

Comment

Im saying he didnt fight to win. He didnt come to win. He didnt do anything.

Then Clottey turns around and says what I just said out his own mouth.

He was honest with me and said 'Lenny I didnt wanted to give Roach the satisfaction of Pacquiao stopping me in the fight. I wanted to last the 12 rounds. "That's what he told me later in the clubhouse. I would have liked to have taken this fight to Wilfredo Gómezto teach Clottey how a real man fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X