Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez: What does he have to do for you to consider him an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mathed View Post
    Let's not forget about him beating Pavlik when he was ranked #1 at MW or when he fought Williams who was ranked top 5 at MW as well.......you know, when Sergio took the fight on two weeks notice and moved up from 154 to face Williams?
    Pavlik and William's were good wins that rightfully won him FOTY for 2010.

Then he went on to fight the great Darren Barker, not in the Top 10, only ever fought above domestic level and the only time he had he looked terrible at European level but all that doesn't matter because he's undefeated!

Now he's fighting yet another ATG calibur win in Martin Murray because he's undefeated aswell!

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Then he went on to fight the great Darren Barker, not in the Top 10, only ever fought above domestic level and the only time he had he looked terrible at European level but all that doesn't matter because he's undefeated!

Now he's fighting yet another ATG calibur win in Martin Murray because he's undefeated aswell!
      Still better than Fedchenko, but I don't see JMM getting flak for that... Barker was a good top 15-20 middleweight and a good stay busy fight for Martinez after Daniel Geale and Peter Quillin rejected Team Martinez's offer to fight on that date. It's interesting that these two characters have only now started calling out Martinez (after the Chavez fight) and yet people blame Martinez for 'ducking' top opposition. As for Golovkin, I'm sure Martinez will fight him if/and when GGG starts fighting the type of opposition to rightfully demand a shot at the lineal title. Anyhow if they fight I've got Martinez by late TKO(RD10-12) with Martinez jab, speed, superior footwork, and particularly his stamina playing a role. GGG has never gone 12 rounds and 10 of his last 11 fights (all tomato cans) have end before the sixth, fighting Martinez would be a HUGE step up for him.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Why do you dislike Sergio so much? Please don't say you 'dont dislike him'.

Just list the reasons why you dislike Sergio:

Comment

Originally posted by Jel View Post
          Why do you dislike Sergio so much? Please don't say you 'dont dislike him'.

Just list the reasons why you dislike Sergio:
          I think he's a good fighter and I liked him before he did one of the biggest cherry picks from a P4P ranked fighter in the history of official P4P rankings when he fought Darren Barker. That just left a sour taste in my mouth.

Plus, I think he's a little overrated.

I wouldn't say I dislike him though. Just not a fan of his.

Comment

Clean out 154 and 160 in shockingly dominant fashion, and Ward at 168.

That's not going to happen. It's too late for Sergio to be an ATG.

Comment

Too soon to talk about this stuff, but short list is he beats up Floyd and Ward

Comment

move up and beat ward ... and I'd eat my hat if he did

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                  It sounds more like an opinion to me.......just saying.
                  Ya it is an opinion. If Hopkins retired after Trinidad, would he be considered an ATG?
                  I think a lot of what Hopkins did after 40 really helped his case.

Comment

I already believe he will make it into the HOF from what he has done already.

If he moved UP to 168, beat Ward IN Oakland - it would not only solidify his #1 p4p status, but it would be hard to say that he wasn't on the ATG level. I don't think this will happen though.

Comment

Clean out 160

Comment

Working...
                      X