Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amateur boxing: boxing for points vs going for a KO?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amateur boxing: boxing for points vs going for a KO?

I've spoken to a number of amateur boxers, and they all say it's completely different to professional boxing. I've heard a few people talk about "slap and dash" tactics in particular. Especially with people wearing headguards, which make it that much more difficult for a knock out, it's more an out-fighters game.

I would more consider myself an in-fighter. I'm still quick on my feet, but I much prefer getting in and laying on the punches and combinations to dancing about, picking my shots. Obviously it isn't as cut and dry as this, but I'm definitely closer to the in-fighter side of the spectrum.

What I'm wondering is, I've got my first fight in May, is it worth trying to tailor my style towards going for points?

if your a inside fighter, when your inside and go to the body ALWAYS follow up going up top then get out, throw double jab or sum shyt just in case he chase u n reset.

a knockdown is only 1 point, so wasting energy on throwing power shots is ******ed cause u may gas quick and knockouts are rare.

straight punchers (1-2) are the best punches for the amateur system. i see alot of people throw a 1-2-3 step straight back then throw a quick 1-2-1-2 right when the opponent steps forward.

being inexperience u will find fighters chasing, anxious and hands bit down. i see alot of more experience fighters jabbing, throwing a quick combo, feinting, then stepping straight back and attack and/or counter when the fighter steps forward.

do what your comfortable in then learn from it. body shots dont count in the amateur system thats why if u go to the body follow up up top in hopes he dropped his hands.
    Last edited by chico 305; 02-15-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chico 305 View Post
      if your a inside fighter, when your inside and go to the body ALWAYS follow up going up top then get out, throw double jab or sum shyt just in case he chase u n reset.

a knockdown is only 1 point, so wasting energy on throwing power shots is ******ed cause u may gas quick and knockouts are rare.

straight punchers (1-2) are the best punches for the amateur system. i see alot of people throw a 1-2-3 step straight back then throw a quick 1-2-1-2 right when the opponent steps forward.

being inexperience u will find fighters chasing, anxious and hands bit down. i see alot of more experience fighters jabbing, throwing a quick combo, feinting, then stepping straight back and attack and/or counter when the fighter steps forward.

do what your comfortable in then learn from it. body shots dont count in the amateur system thats why if u go to the body follow up up top in hopes he dropped his hands.
      Body shots to count it's just hard for the judges to see so they aren't scored as often as an obvious head jolting shot.

Comment

All though the bouts are judged differently, usually hahahaha!!! It's still a fight in a boxing venue, so do what you do and do it often and do it right! Try to do it first and start strong and finish stronger just like any other fight.'Big punchers look to stop their opponents and boxers look to beat their opponents up. No different from the pros. If you let other nonsensical things enter your mind don't even go to the show. If you want to fight, and win, then do what you do. After the fight you'll know what you did right and what you did wrong and you'll improve whats good and fix whats wrong. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          Body shots to count it's just hard for the judges to see so they aren't scored as often as an obvious head jolting shot.
          word, hard enough where alot of trainers imbed in the fighter's head that they dont count. a body punch is more so to bring the hands down for a clean punch to the head rather than getting points from the body shot.

Comment

Originally posted by as646 View Post
            I've spoken to a number of amateur boxers, and they all say it's completely different to professional boxing. I've heard a few people talk about "slap and dash" tactics in particular. Especially with people wearing headguards, which make it that much more difficult for a knock out, it's more an out-fighters game.

I would more consider myself an in-fighter. I'm still quick on my feet, but I much prefer getting in and laying on the punches and combinations to dancing about, picking my shots. Obviously it isn't as cut and dry as this, but I'm definitely closer to the in-fighter side of the spectrum.

What I'm wondering is, I've got my first fight in May, is it worth trying to tailor my style towards going for points?
            If you want to be a good pro in the future you should train and fight a pro style. This is not the past anymore. With the current system in the amateurs makes boxing skills obsolete for the pros. I could name many examples. For instance James degale won a gold medal.... he will never be a WBC champ, never. The problem is it's too late to change styles. Habits are hard to break in boxing.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I was a little hesitant to try and tailor my boxing towards scoring points, this has just solidified my thinking. I realise it is a legitimate way to box, but I can't help but think of it as cheap. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing!

Comment

Originally posted by as646 View Post
                Thanks for the feedback. I was a little hesitant to try and tailor my boxing towards scoring points, this has just solidified my thinking. I realise it is a legitimate way to box, but I can't help but think of it as cheap. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing!
                finishing strong means so much in amateur boxing. i seen so many upsets cause the fighter gassed the last minute of the bout.

finish strong, keep a high guard and dont tense up. the anxiousness will already mess with your cardio dont go throwing haymakers

good luck, win or lose just learn, ull be ight

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
                  If you want to be a good pro in the future you should train and fight a pro style. This is not the past anymore. With the current system in the amateurs makes boxing skills obsolete for the pros. I could name many examples. For instance James degale won a gold medal.... he will never be a WBC champ, never. The problem is it's too late to change styles. Habits are hard to break in boxing.
                  Could you elaborate on this a bit? What are the key 2-3 differences between the pro and amateur? How does the training differ?

Comment

amateur is how many times you can hit and not be hit. pro is how hard can i hit you and how good you can take the shot. i got alot of heat b/c ive been in boxing 7 years but have alot less fights then guys with my experience. i feel like ive evolved more than them though, i worry about getting in good sparring with pros and occasionally fight but just to get the feel for competition. i wouldnt suggest going pro with less than 10-20 am fights.

Comment

Working...
                    X