Why Doesn't Martinez Go Back to 154?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
    exactly

Because Martinez favorite fighters Floyd and manny like to fight known fighters
    Really? I'm pretty sure Martinez is just as well known as Victor Ortiz was before his fight with Mayweather.

Beating Lara and Kirkland isn't gonna make Martinez some big name to the general public. If Cotto or Sergio would be willing to fight him I am sure he would move down for them too.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
      brand building

beat those guys so the casual fans and Americans will get a chance to know who you are

Mayweather and pacquiao like to fight guys with names
      cotto is afraid of him, dude won't even shake his hand. alvarez doesn't even want to fight good fighters in his own weight class, i doubt he'd take up the challenge of fighting the MW champ at 154. kirkland, trout, and lara, as much as i'm a fan of those guys, they're not names mayweather and pacquiao would consider to be "brand building".

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
      I agree. I wish he would move down to 154 and fight Kirkland or Lara instead of staying at 160 and fighting a bunch of no name Europeans. He probably still wouldn't be able to land a big money fight even at 154 against Cotto and Alvarez, but at least he'll be able to draw bigger crowds fighting the Americans and Hispanics that 154 is filled with.
      but i do agree with this. angulo (if he had his visa) and alvarez in california and lara in florida would make sense. dibella should have had martinez fighting on the west coast, i feel like more fans come out to fights than on the east coast (boardwalk hall).
      Last edited by chiguy91; 12-18-2011, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X