Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Haye ever really a great HW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was good, not great. He was genuinely dangerous though it think and his power is/was genuine. Chisora has been in with some good fighters and nobody stopped him in the fashion Haye did, nobody else even come close.

I don't think he's great but a prime Haye would arguably steam through today's division if Joshua or Wilder is the best it has to offer right now.

Also, his fight v Wlad was a stinker in the sense neither did that much. Wlad just nicked the rounds but both seemed petrified of each other. Wlad was just controlling the distance well while being completely wary of Haye, and Haye wasn't willing to let his hand go.

Comment

No, but it's insane to hold the Valuev fight against him. He was outweighed by close to 100lbs

Comment

He wasn't a "true great" nor was he a slouch.

He was a title holder with a handful of good wins and would have been a threat to most champions who weren't named Klitschko.

Comment

He was a top CW, and a good HW. He was a dangerous fighter, i'm sure all the HW's around at the time would view him as such. I'm not sure i've ever heard anyone refer to him as great though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Cipher View Post
            Holyfield was already in his 40's by the time he fought Valuev, his performance was nearly identical to Haye's except he didn't get the decision. Ruiz also arguably beat Valuev. That's why it's so bad that Haye struggled so much with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
              Holyfield was already in his 40's by the time he fought Valuev, his performance was nearly identical to Haye's except he didn't get the decision. Ruiz also arguably beat Valuev. That's why it's so bad that Haye struggled so much with him.
              So a cruiserweight beats the biggest Heavyweight Champion in the history of Boxing, and even rocked him and almost dropped him, and you find a way to criticize him?

You must be an Androlone coWard fan.

Comment

Why does this guy get a pass for going life and death with Valuev? It's sort of like his horrific performance that bout goes completely ignored, like it never happened.

In what reality can Joshua, Wilder, Fury, etc. struggle with a guy of that caliber and still be taken seriously?

His bout with Klitschko was extremely lackluster as well, Fury, Joshua, even Jennings put up a far better performances.

His resume at HW is very very very weak, Chisora, Valuev, and Ruiz? That's it? 1 of those bouts he arguably lost. Even against Bellew, he had 5 rounds to stop him, couldn't do it even with flush shots. His power is what made him special, and he couldn't even hurt a blown up cruiser? Yikes.

Great cruiser but I think Haye is another case of the rabid UK fanboys overrating a guy just because he fights out the UK.

We saw this recently with Whyte, and if Whyte can be THAT overrated by the UK fans you can sure as hell bet Haye could as well.
                Eh? How did he go life and death exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Cipher View Post
                  So a cruiserweight beats the biggest Heavyweight Champion in the history of Boxing, and even rocked him and almost dropped him, and you find a way to criticize him?

You must be an Androlone coWard fan.
                  So being big means you're a good boxer? I think that's the first time I've ever heard anybody say that ever.

6'1 Chagaev is the exact same size as Haye except 20lbs of fat heavier and already beat Valuev years earlier.

Valuev won a controversial MD over Ruiz to win a vacant HW title.

To say Haye has a great resume at heavy is to be in complete denial. His resume is trash at the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
                    Eh? How did he go life and death exactly?

Haye literally threw 12 punches per round, he was running for dear life the whole fight. Even Chagaev put up a better offensive performance when he beat Valuev 2 years earlier.

Comment

Haye literally threw 12 punches per round, he was running for dear life the whole fight. Even Chagaev put up a better offensive performance when he beat Valuev 2 years earlier.
                      He won a majority decision against the biggest heavyweight ever who had over 7st weight advantage and rocked him near the end. Educate yourself before you embarrass yourself further.

Comment

Working...
                      X