Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trainers says I gotta hit the heavy bag and shadowbox for 3 month before using

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel you buddy, I stayed with one trainer / coach for a long time because he is a friend of mine. Hopefully will be back to training after a bit of a layoff, and hopefully with a different coach.

If you think that he is not a good coach, stop immediately before you build up a sort of "relationship" and you end up finding it difficult to leave the gym.

Comment

Its all about keeping you spending as much money as possible for as long as possible!

Either that or you cant punch yet and its pointless going on the pads!

Comment

I think arbitrary timelines like that are ridiculous. Fair enough waiting until you've grasped the basics before he goes into more complex routines on the pads where you can receive 1 on 1 tuition. However with that said, an arbitrary 3 month period is downright bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackFist View Post
          I'm paying 45/month to basically hit the heavy bag. I feel cheated. ...and its not like he's teaching me ****.
          That's only 11 bucks a week! That's cheap as ****! How often can you go, and for how long?

Anyway, if he's not actually teaching you anything, i.e. how to use the heavy bag, shadowbox, footwork, basic punches, jab, movement etc then go somewhere else. That's cheap though.
          Last edited by BennyST; 01-30-2016, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            That's only 11 bucks a week! That's cheap as ****! How often can you go, and for how long?

Anyway, if he's not actually teaching you anything, i.e. how to use the heavy bag, shadowbox, footwork, basic punches, jab, movement etc then go somewhere else. That's cheap though.
            I have no problem with the price, or the lack of personal instruction. I was just kinda jaded at the fact that he didn't want to work the mitts with me. And a couple days after my original post, he changed locations and didn't set up any bags. No heavy bag, no speed bag, no double end bag all on top of no ring. I don't know about yall but paying 45/month to simply skip rope and shadowbox is ridiculous to me.

Comment

I have no problem with the price, or the lack of personal instruction. I was just kinda jaded at the fact that he didn't want to work the mitts with me. And a couple days after my original post, he changed locations and didn't set up any bags. No heavy bag, no speed bag, no double end bag all on top of no ring. I don't know about yall but paying 45/month to simply skip rope and shadowbox is ridiculous to me.
              Well then stop boxing!!!
              Jesus the amount of complaining like!
              No wonder he wont do anything whit you, you seem like one of these fellas who joined a boxing gym for fitness and if your complaining this much about a coach who is testing you to see if your act going to stick around
              Number 1) your not fit enough to fight or spar or even do good work on the pads yet!
              Number 2) how the fck do you expect to work the pads if you have no foot movement and don't know how to throw a punch properly

Number 3) you should say yes sir no sir, 3 bags full sir! Your never going to be a fighter and I can tell you that without even knowing you!!

Number 4) if you cant follow a simple instruction to skip/ shadowbox or whatever, how are you going to follow instructions on the pads/sparring or in a fight.

If your in their for training only, then don't be expecting him to show you much attention...
              And you might not think it, but maybe he is act doing you a favour, leave you hang around for a few weeks, feed your brain bits and pieces and when he realises your going to take it seriously he will start training you proper...
              Boxing is a tough sport so don't start crying about stupid stuff...

If he threw you In the ring, you would complain about that 2!!
              So let me give you some advice, keep your head down, push yourself to the limit and stop whining.. Do whatever he says or find a new place, but a new place might be alot worse, if you were put I the ring now youl be hurt!

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
                Well then stop boxing!!!
                Jesus the amount of complaining like!
                No wonder he wont do anything whit you, you seem like one of these fellas who joined a boxing gym for fitness and if your complaining this much about a coach who is testing you to see if your act going to stick around
                Number 1) your not fit enough to fight or spar or even do good work on the pads yet!
                Number 2) how the fck do you expect to work the pads if you have no foot movement and don't know how to throw a punch properly

Number 3) you should say yes sir no sir, 3 bags full sir! Your never going to be a fighter and I can tell you that without even knowing you!!

Number 4) if you cant follow a simple instruction to skip/ shadowbox or whatever, how are you going to follow instructions on the pads/sparring or in a fight.

If your in their for training only, then don't be expecting him to show you much attention...
                And you might not think it, but maybe he is act doing you a favour, leave you hang around for a few weeks, feed your brain bits and pieces and when he realises your going to take it seriously he will start training you proper...
                Boxing is a tough sport so don't start crying about stupid stuff...

If he threw you In the ring, you would complain about that 2!!
                So let me give you some advice, keep your head down, push yourself to the limit and stop whining.. Do whatever he says or find a new place, but a new place might be alot worse, if you were put I the ring now youl be hurt!
                relax. boxing aside, I pay 45/month to do something I can do at home for free. But if my response still leaves you feeling pissy, you can catch a flight to southwest arizona and fite me in real life bytch!

Comment

...working with the hand mitts. WAT?! Goddamn how long until I start sparring?
                  3 months is nothing....why do you think you need pad work now? Nonsense...pad work is for accuracy or going over specific combos at different angles, if your not even used to heavy bag work which takes 3 months just to really know a heavy bag minimum, and to hit and look like you know what you are doing...If your new to boxing its not a necessity to do pad work .Bag work is more important that's where you get the technique and muscle memory along with developing power. Pad work is a bit overatted to me unless you hit the pads without a set order...meaning no set up combos....hit them on the fly nothing pre arranged,this will help with better reflex time and eye coordination in sync. Otherwise its pointless imop and you certainly aren't at that level yet.I know there overatted b/c ive never hit them, and hit them better than anyone when I was at my gym just from doing Heavy bag combos the few times I did pad work.Sparring is subjective ,only you know if that would work in your favor. a friend of mine was the muay thai world champion a few years back in the 90's he knew a lot about pad work and trained them like that...you don't want to be set in a timed combo mode which is true . Most trainers do not use pads like that but they should.

concentrate on the Heavy bag...if hes not showing you what you can do better on the bag by yourself...then theres no need to persue the training with him.
                  Last edited by juggernaut666; 01-30-2016, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Using pads & the heavy bag at the same time is the best way to leasrn punch techniques!
                    I first teach how to the "feel" as you punch through the bag. You learn the feel and the sound along with striking the middle so theres no spin. The pads are perfect for eye/hand teaching and of course the easiest way a trainer can correct as the student performs.

I think your trainer was trying to get you to continue conditioning using a heavy bag which is perfectly understandable.
                    There are many drills to utilize on a heavy bag and conditioning and gaining power are the main activities on it!

Is there a reason you can't speak with the trainer and ask questions?

Your enthusiasm would impress me so why not ask him about time duration's from bag conditioning to putting punches together with mitts. Seems reasonable!

Ray

Comment

relax. boxing aside, I pay 45/month to do something I can do at home for free. But if my response still leaves you feeling pissy, you can catch a flight to southwest arizona and fite me in real life bytch!
                      Then do it at home???
                      Are you their to train or fight??? Cause if your their to fight you have the complete wrong mentality...how long are you even in the gym?? You cant expect to just walk into a boxing gym and expect to do everything youv seen on tv,
                      At least you get to hit the bag instead of spending 3 weeks walking up and down a line to get your boxing stance right << will look forward to that thread!!

And do be a dumb fck, I'm in Ireland why In the name of god would I waste my time whit someone who cant even box, so don't be fckin childish

Comment

Working...
                      X