Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do u know about The Brown Bomber?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do u know about The Brown Bomber?

Lil Joe Louis quiz for u guys, Louis is my 2nd favourite fighter of All Time so i thought id ace it but i got a few wrong!

1: From Whom did Louis take the HW title form? Where and when did this fight take place?

2: How many times did Louis defend his title and exactly how long did he reign as champion?

3: Against whom did Louis make his first defence of the HW crown?

4: Only three men managed to go the full distance with Louis in world title bouts when he was champion. Name them

5: Boxing History was made on June 19, 1946 when Louis fought Billy Conn in New York. What was the historical event?

6: Who was it that addressed the following words to Joe Louis? "Joe when you risked your title and ur future against Buddy Baer in patriotisim you did something else - you laid a red rose on Abe Lincoln's grave" Why were these words spoken?

7: Which Presidential candidate did Joe back in 1940?

8: What was different about Louis' title defence against Bob Pastor in Detroit on September 20, 1939?

9: Who was the title contender who said "I'll moider that bum!" How did he get on when given the chance against Louis?

10: Which of Louis' title fights lasted the shortest distance?

11: Louis was on the canvas only 10 times his entire career. Can u name the men responsible?

12: Louis lost only two contests inside the distance. Who were the two men that stopped him?

13: On four occasions when Louis defended his world title the odds were quoted at 20-1 in his favour. Who were his opponents?

14: Can u name the referee that officiated at 12 of Louis's title fights?

15: Where and when was Joe Louis born?

16: Two hours before which fight did Joe get married?

17: Which one of Joe's fights drew the largest crowd? How many people?

18: Who was the first man to go the full distance with Louis?

19: In all how many pro fights did Joe Louis have?

20: Louis won only one fight on DQ. Who was his opponent?

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
    Lil Joe Louis quiz for u guys, Louis is my 2nd favourite fighter of All Time so i thought id ace it but i got a few wrong!

1: From Whom did Louis take the HW title form? Where and when did this fight take place?

2: How many times did Louis defend his title and exactly how long did he reign as champion?

4: Only three men managed to go the full distance with Louis in world title bouts when he was champion. Name them

5: Boxing History was made on June 19, 1946 when Louis fought Billy Conn in New York. What was the historical event?

6: Who was it that addressed the following words to Joe Louis? "Joe when you risked your title and ur future against Buddy Baer in patriotisim you did something else - you laid a red rose on Abe Lincoln's grave" Why were these words spoken?

8: What was different about Louis' title defence against Bob Pastor in Detroit on September 20, 1939?

9: Who was the title contender who said "I'll moider that bum!" How did he get on when given the chance against Louis?

11: Louis was on the canvas only 10 times his entire career. Can u name the men responsible?

12: Louis lost only two contests inside the distance. Who were the two men that stopped him?

13: On four occasions when Louis defended his world title the odds were quoted at 20-1 in his favour. Who were his opponents?

Add another, which English football team did Joe once sign for?

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post

Braddock. Chicago. 1937

25 times just over 11 years.

Tommy Farr

Farr, Walcott and Goday.

First heavyweight title fight live on tv.

???

???

First heavyweight title fight in Detroit?

Tony Galento

Max Schmeling

Marciano, Walcott, Schmeling, Galento, Braddock and Buddy Baer.

Schmeling and Marciano

???

Art Donovan?
      Alabama May 13, 1914
      ???

Mauriello??

By full distance do you mean 15? If so Tommy Farr

Buddy Baer

Comment

1. Wins Title From James Braddock in 1937 in Chicago
        2. 25 Defenses over 11 Years, almost 12
        3. First Defense against Tommy Farr
        4. Tommy Farr, Jersey Joe Walcott, Arturo Godoy
        5. First televised HW Title Fight with Ringside Tickets selling fo $100
        6. I Don't Know
        7. Wendell Willkie
        8. Was first HW Title Fight fought in Detroit
        9. Tony Galento
        10. Max Schmeling
        11. Schmeling 2x Walcott 3x Marciano 2x Buddy Baer, Jim Braddock, Galento
        12. Max Schmeling in 1936, Rocky Marciano in 1951
        13. I don't know
        14. Arthur Donovan
        15. Lafayette Alabama May 13th 1914
        16. Max Baer
        17. Max Baer 80,000
        18. Bob Pastor
        19. 68
        20. Buddy baer I 1914

Comment

James J. Braddock, Comiskey Park, Chicago, on June 22, 1937

25 times, not counting the Johnny Davis fight. He held the title for 11 years, 8 months and 7 days

Tommy Farr

4: Only three men managed to go the full distance with Louis in world title bouts when he was champion. Name them?
          Tommy Farr, Arturo Godoy & Jersey Joe Wacott

First televised Heavyweight Championship title bout

Because he gave his purse to the Navy Relief Society and I happen to have the Western Union Telegram they sent him and Mike Jacobs.

Wendell Willkie

It was scheduled for 20 rounds, as was the 1st Abe Simon fight and it was the 1st Heavyweight Championship bout in Detroit. Pastor was also the 1st College Graduate to fight for the Heavyweight Championship. Louis also dropped Pastor 4 times in the 1st round and once in the 2nd, and Pastor lasted until the 11th.

Tony Galento, he knocked Louis down in the 3rd round But Louis stopped him in round 4.

Max Schmeling 2:04 of the 1st round, unless you count the Davis fight.

Max Schmeling 2, James J. Braddock 1, Tony Galento 1, Buddy Baer 1, Jersey Joe Walcott 3, and Rocky Marciano 2.

Max Schmeling & Rocky Marciano

Harry Thomas, Al McCoy, Gus Dorazio & Tony Musto

Arthur Donovan

May 13, 1914 in LaFayette, Alabama

Max Baer

Max Baer 88,150

Jack Kranz before he was Champion and Tommy Farr after he became Champion.

Depending on what source, Boxrec has 70, and that is counting the Johnny Davis bout, and the Ring Record Book has 71. The Ring Record Book has Roscoe Toles, Willie Davis and Gene Stanton, where BoxRec don’t. BoxRec has the Davis bout where the Ring Record Book doesn’t.

Buddy Baer
          Last edited by hhascup; 01-03-2011, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Not to really criticize, but these quizzes are a bit long man. You'd get more bites if you spread them out over several threads or just cut them down.

Comment

Looks like you read that new joe louis book, here's another question.

How many people died listening to joes fights over the radio(the cases attributed and documented of course)?

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic_Warrior View Post
                Add another, which English football team did Joe once sign for?
                Liverpool.

Comment

Originally posted by sleazyfellow View Post
                  Looks like you read that new joe louis book, here's another question.

How many people died listening to joes fights over the radio(the cases attributed and documented of course)?
                  If your just talking about the 1st Louis/Schmeling fight, the answer is 12. Another source claimed that 9 colored men died of heart attacks brought on by the radio account of the battle.
                  Last edited by hhascup; 01-05-2011, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X