• Time
  • Show
Clear All

-He's always been an accumulation puncher, not one punch ko artist

-He's fighting at a higher weight

-He's fighting with bigger gloves

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
      Man ur crazy, he just gave the best fighter of this era, the fight of his life, and he should retire? Secret hate perhaps?
      I am a huge Cotto fan but If you guys have time then just watch the Cotto vs Margarito fight from 2008 in high quality then watch the Cotto vs Pacquiao fight then tell me, who is the bigger Cotto,

Comment

Originally posted by fenixbb View Post
        I am a huge Cotto fan but If you guys have time then just watch the Cotto vs Margarito fight from 2008 in high quality then watch the Cotto vs Pacquiao fight then tell me, who is the bigger Cotto,
        I could careless about who the bigger cotto was, cuz he was DRAINED when he fought pac, and didnt weigh the same...not only that, but he is NOW fighting at 154'..Not only that, but who CARES about his size?...He can still compete with the BEST of the best, why the hell should he retire thats silly

Comment

Cotto is a heavy handed fighter. Enough power to keep his foes honest that they can't simply walk through. Not a one punch KO guy unless it is a well placed left hook to the body.

Fighting at a higher weight his punches won't have the same effect as in 140 or 147 especially with 10 oz gloves.

Comment

His power is still there and he proved that against Foreman, Mayorga and Margarito. Against Floyd is hard to hit him flush but he still broke his nose and left his face all bruised up.

Comment

I think his punching power is still there, but he's more of a strong puncher rather than a great puncher. I think he has heavy hands, he lands with solid leverage but he doesn't land those punch through the target shots on the chin, temple, etc. Specially against Mayweather, he barely landed his punches cleanly.

Most of the time that Cotto catches his opponent with very good shots they get hurt, but when he just touches them up he only really earns the respect of the opponent, but for the most part it's really hard to hurt people with shots that don't go through the target.

I say his punching power is there, but his opponents have been very good at neutralizing it. Except Margo, he just took it like a badass.

Comment

Originally posted by transportcd View Post
                i think that after the pacquiao fight is when it started because pacquaio took some shots from him and didnt seem bothered at all he doesnt punch like he use to anymore i think manny took his confidence i think thats why he doesnt punch like he used to anymore even against floyd floyd didnt look that bothered by his shots when he took some good shot from cotto

idk i think i might be imagining things plzz tell me what u think
                Not much to do with Pacquaio.
                His power is just not carrying as much at Supah WW. He is afterall a SMALL Supah WW.

Comment

like mentioned cotto was never a one punch KO artist, he wore guys down with an accumulation of punches. not just punches either, pressure. before he would apply non stop pressure for 12 rounds which broke his oponents down as much as his punches did and complimented his power. now he fights on the back foot quite often so that pressure doesnt play nearly as big a part in breaking ppl down.

he has also moved up in weight obviously , a weight where he stopped all but one of his oponents. i have acctually been suprised by how well he carried his power to 154.

even against floyd. he hardly ever hit floyd with clean powerpunches but his jabs were snapping mayweathers head back like he got hit by a Lt.HW. those jabs looked extremely powerful.

cotto losing power

Comment

Originally posted by jri9d0 View Post
                    Keep in mind he's fighting at a higher weight class with naturally bigger foes, thus his punching power is just about average at 154..
                    this......

Comment

Well he didn't really land much on Floyd's chin at all. 90% of what he landed was the jab here and there, or some body punches.

It's always been more of an accumilation with Cotto, to me at least.

Comment

Working...
                      X