Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My uncle died regretting that his wish of European HW Dominance came true.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My uncle died regretting that his wish of European HW Dominance came true.

My uncle is one of the biggest boxing fans ever, he have watched thousands and thousands of fights and loved the Heavyweight Division. He told me during the 90's he mocked the HW Division for it's lack of European fighters. He said that he kept telling all his friends if the HW Division had guys like young Lennox Lewis and all from Europe it will be 100x more exciting and amazing.

He envisioned that in 10-15 years European fighters will dominate the HW Division, he will watch fights like Ruddock Lewis and Mercer Lewis and dream that the entire 'new era' will be filled with exciting Heavies from all over Europe carrying boxing into a new golden era of pure style and great fights.

He died a few days ago, the last fight he ever watched was David Haye vs Wladimir Klithscko.

Before he died he told me that he wish he could have appreciated fights like Ruddock Tyson, holyfield Bowe much much more. He remember he attended a
    'average' fight between Tyrell Biggs and Riddick Bowe. I rewatched that fight and realize there was more excitement in the tyrell vs bowe fight in the first round then the entire ****ing HW Division over the last 5 years.

Basically the moral of this story is don't think certain people are **** or bad because maybe one day you will regret it when they are gone.

My uncle was telling me how he laughed and laughed at the 'ruddock smash' calling it the most amateur piece of **** move he ever seen and club level bum.

How the HW Division can use a prime Razer Ruddock now.

Comment

What a load of crap.

Comment

good post dude. hope you Uncles is resting in peace

Comment

Point taken. We should all appreciate the brother's dominance while they are still around.

Comment

Originally posted by polarcub View Post
            My uncle is one of the biggest boxing fans ever, he have watched thousands and thousands of fights and loved the Heavyweight Division. He told me during the 90's he mocked the HW Division for it's lack of European fighters. He said that he kept telling all his friends if the HW Division had guys like young Lennox Lewis and all from Europe it will be 100x more exciting and amazing.

He envisioned that in 10-15 years European fighters will dominate the HW Division, he will watch fights like Ruddock Lewis and Mercer Lewis and dream that the entire 'new era' will be filled with exciting Heavies from all over Europe carrying boxing into a new golden era of pure style and great fights.

He died a few days ago, the last fight he ever watched was David Haye vs Wladimir Klithscko.

Before he died he told me that he wish he could have appreciated fights like Ruddock Tyson, holyfield Bowe much much more. He remember he attended a
            'average' fight between Tyrell Biggs and Riddick Bowe. I rewatched that fight and realize there was more excitement in the tyrell vs bowe fight in the first round then the entire ****ing HW Division over the last 5 years.
            Sorry for your loss.

I guess we should all be careful what we wish for.

I don't agree with everything you wrote, but I understand where you're coming from. The guy that comes to mind is Larry Holmes. I was a teenager when Holmes was dominating the heavyweight division. Like many others, I couldn't stand him as champion and felt he was overrated. Today I see Larry in a different light. Someday, we might regard today's heavyweight era very differently.

Comment

In my opinion it's not the lack of talent at HW that's the issue atm.

The Hw have decent talent, not great like the 70's or 90's era but might actually be better then the Tyson 80's era

It's the lack of excitement. Like seriously just watching guys in the 90's move around the ring , sometimes it feels like you are watching Heavyweights with middleweight speed. Now it just feel like you are watching SLOW Heavyweights with super slow heavyweight speed.

The combinations Tyson ruddock lennox etc put together was insane. I mean I don't know why guys like Povetkin and Wladimir can't move the same slick way as guys like Lennox and Holyfield and Bowe and Ruddock. Like it feels like there's something missing that make it so they don't have the rhythm and dance moves of the 90's heavyweights.

I mean why is it that Lennox Lewis LOOKS to have more rhythm and slickness then Wladimir?

There must be a reason

Comment

I'm fairly confident many haters will hold the brothers in a better light in the future. Not straight away obviously.

Lennox Lewis and Larry Holmes got some stick in their day. The division was better back then though but it is not the brothers fault they fight in a terrible era.

Comment

Rest in peace to your uncle man. My condolences.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
                    I'm fairly confident many haters will hold the brothers in a better light in the future. Not straight away obviously.

Lennox Lewis and Larry Holmes got some stick in their day. The division was better back then though but it is not the brothers fault they fight in a terrible era.
                    I have the same notion. History has a way of repeating itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X