Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Trainer: Jacobs Fighting on Canelo-Golovkin is 'Strong Possibility'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to remind HBO that even when he was fighting GGG, Jacobs couldn't generate many PPV sales. His name only sounded super sexy on the HBO undercard if it was against a top guy. Otherwise it's a huge step down from the co-main last time of Chocolatito vs Sor Rungvisi.

Unless it's against Lemieux, Charlo, Eubank, Aleem no drug testing same version as beat Khrytov, or Deravenchnko or Murata, then it's not interesting.

Chavez Jr. at 168 I guess could be interesting if Chavez is dedicated again and stronger at 168, but not that interesting because seeing is believing and no one should have to pay $70 again just to see until he proves it once for free.

Jacobs vs David Benavidez or Gilberto Ramirez at 168 would be awesome though! Two Hispanic guys! Great for a Canelo undercard. Make it happen DJ!

My guess is Andy Lee. Does he even fight anymore? Does he even fight at middleweight anymore? I was expecting a way better co-feature than Jacobs-Lee. That feels more like a random PBC undercard fight, not the co-main for the biggest PPV ever like Oscar said lol. They need a Garcia-Matthysse for this one and Lemieux-Jacobs was that fight. Or, Cotto against one of them, although Cotto seems kind of small...

Comment

Jacobs needs to look at his own PBC stablemates! Lara? Aleem? Brant? Derevyanchenko (if he wins)? Jermell Charlo? I know Andrade isn't with Haymon, but what about him?

Comment

Lemieux waiting on Cotto.
        Quigley has a broken hand and won't be ready.
        Gotta be Tureano, would explain why they didn't bother to make a real bid for fight with Russian guy.

Tureano hasn't really fought anyone, should be a reasonably easy win for Jacobs. Jacobs may be wing walking to GBP to get fights, and Al Haymon may be okay with that.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
          That would be great. He definitely deserves a shot at Golovkin again or Canelo if he wins

I think he deserves a shot regardless. But he still needs to be more active. The more inactive he is the less of an option he becomes.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
            Oscar is feeling the heat from the announcement of Floyd/Connor and is now trying to make his card even more appealing.

Those who were planning on buying Canelo/GGG are still going to. That is the "real fight". Floyd/Connor isn't going to sway those fans. What will hurt Canelo/GGG are the casuals who may now rather dish out for Floyd/Connor.

All in all, competition is good as if forces promoters to step up and stop putting on shoddy undercards.
            I hope you're right. I am ordered this PPV. I would be so pissed off if we got nothing but showcase fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post

I could see it being Tureano Johnson. Yea yea, IBF eliminator but GBP put up 50k and Lou didn't do much better. He'll pull out and better money/opportunity here. Also he's w/GBP and K2 could always offer him a fight later. I think we see TJ vs Jacobs because Lemieux ain't and GBP don't really have anybody else
              Well there are worse opponents out there for Jacobs.

Comment

A fight against Lemieux would be must-see..

Comment

Golden Boy is extremely confident Canelo wins. I see no reason to put a fighter from PBC on their undercard against somebody who probably isn't either other than to set up a Canelo Jacobs fight or Jacobs Lemieux fight...
                  Last edited by Mammoth; 06-16-2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BWC View Post
                    A fight against Lemieux would be must-see..
                    Lemieux is great at knocking around bums. Jacobs slaughters him.

Comment

Regarding Danny Jacobs potential opponents.

1. One has to assume that guys like Tureno Johnson and Sergiy Derevyanchenko are out because Jacobs is a big risk and they could go on with their fight and be lined up as a mandatory for the GGG/Canelo winner. Low purse bid or not their current fight is less risky and puts them right in line for the biggest payday in their careers.

2. Ryota Murata and Hassan N'Dam have their rematch and I doubt either guy would turn down that rematch for a fight with Jacobs. They are already fighting for a title and (assuming the WBA is serious about consolidating belts) they would also have a shot with the winner of GGG/Canelo lined up.

3. You also have to cross off BJS because he has no balls.

4. David Lemieux is probably holding out hope that the WBO kills the fight with Khurtsidze and appoints Lemieux as BJS mandatory. That fight would probably become the co-main event for the PPV.

So who is left that would risk a fight with Jacobs because they need a big money fight and the serious boost to title contention a win would represent.

1. Andy Lee-He wants a big fight. Takes on all comers and has said that if he cannot secure a big fight he'll retire. With all the other big names committed or in limbo for one reason or another Danny Jacobs is that big name.

2. Willie Monroe-Boring style limits his ability to get fights. Why not put the two guys who have a tough time getting name fights in their with each other. Ranked around Jacobs in the top 10 of 2 different sanctioning bodies so a victory would move one of those guys closer to a mandatory opportunity.

3. Martin Murray-Has blown numerous opportunities already. A victory over Jacobs would make it hard to deny him another one. Might hold off to see if he can get into the BJS sweepstakes if BJS continues to hold the belt hostage.

4. Matt Korborov-Former champion who is desperate enough for big fights that he's willing to sign up for that new tournament at 168.

Comment

Working...
                      X