No announcement yet.

When the Champ threatened the King

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the Champ threatened the King

Just a fun little story to share I don't think many people know.

The 18th century bare knuckle champion Daniel Mendoza was invited to take part in a fox hunt with King George himself.

Mendoza, being of poor stock, hardly understood the rules to the practice and rode ahead with the hounds.

King George rides up to Mendoza to accost him for riding with the hounds and informs him if he does not change his behaviour he'd suffer a horsewhipping.

Mendoza become irritated with the tone this man speaks to him, ignorant to who it is speaking to him, replies with " Sir, if you endeavour to raise your whip to me I will surely strike you from your horse!"

That's right, Mendoza threatened the King of England.

- -Mendoza couldn't crack open a peanut shell, and he was so dumb as to not know who the King was after being invited into the hunting party that is doubtful given he likely had never ridden a horse much less a thoroughbred, why he'd be dumber than that peanut shell he used a hammer on.

Comment

Not gonna lie I was expecting a Elvis story, but this one was better in fairness.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Not gonna lie I was expecting a Elvis story, but this one was better in fairness.
        That'd've been good too though! Reckon I'll dig around when I get a moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
          That'd've been good too though! Reckon I'll dig around when I get a moment.
          I wish I would have taken a photo, pre smart phone times.
          I met a japanese Elvis impersonator, who made a living at it. he was a great singer, had the hair, and the look, the chutzpah too.

his only problem was he was about five ft 2 inches tall.

Comment

Apocryphal, methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
              Apocryphal, methinks.
              Easily could be, if you're super interested I'll do the work to verify what I'm about to say.

I'm pretty sure the main source is Mendoza himself. I'm quite sure the first time you see the story in print it's from his own autobiography.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                I wish I would have taken a photo, pre smart phone times.
                I met a japanese Elvis impersonator, who made a living at it. he was a great singer, had the hair, and the look, the chutzpah too.

his only problem was he was about five ft 2 inches tall.
                Shoot man, if he had the voice, attitude, and physical mannerism down that's plenty impressive. Short Japanese Elvis, still kingly!

I appreciate the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                  Easily could be, if you're super interested I'll do the work to verify what I'm about to say.

I'm pretty sure the main source is Mendoza himself. I'm quite sure the first time you see the story in print it's from his own autobiography.
                  No, you probably have the origin. We will save the research for something else that needs to be settled. Something always comes along.

Comment

Mendoza was the great-great-grandfather of Peter Sellers.

Comment

Working...
                    X