No announcement yet.

First Amateur Bout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Amateur Bout

Hi! This is my first post here, and i would like to introduce myself first.

I'm a 17 yrs old boxer, who has been training for 1 year, i just did my debut days ago , and i would like to have some external feedback from people who knows very well about the sport.

I lost by decision against a guy with 2 fights already.

I just realised a lot of mistakes, like for example not having a guard, or my punches, wich sometimes went nowere.
    But i have some doubts, like, what do you think are my strongest attributes and the weakest ones, what style would fit me best? How would you see me fight the best?

I would love some opinions,specially constructive feedback , not just from my trainer and people around me, Thanks a lot!

Here is the link of the fight footage (i'm the guy in black, red gloves): https: //youtu.be/ FTV_3ITbSpM

( i don't have 15 posts so i can't put the link directly, so delete the space after https: and be/, all should work fine)
    Last edited by dimae; 11-16-2017, 04:10 PM.

Originally posted by dimae View Post

I'm a 17 yrs old boxer, who has been training for 1 year, i just did my debut days ago , and i would like to have some external feedback from people who knows very well about the sport.

I just realised a lot of mistakes, like for example not having a guard, or my punches, wich sometimes went nowere.
    But i have some doubts, like, what do you think are my strongest attributes and the weakest ones, what style would fit me best? How would you see me fight the best?

I would love some opinions,specially constructive feedback , not just from my trainer and people around me, Thanks a lot!

Here is the link of the fight footage (i'm the guy in black, red gloves): https: //youtu.be/ FTV_3ITbSpM

( i don't have 15 posts so i can't put the link directly, so delete the space after https: and be/, all should work fine)
    Its really hard to say what style would fit you best or make any real observations based on one fight.

I notice that you walk in without keeping your guard and was getting hit as a result.

Using your jab as a range finder, but not really connecting with it - and at times just throwing it out there in a lazy manner and that allowed him to counter right over it.

Comment

Comment

You spend too much time posing, dancing around in range and looking at your opponent. I can't stand that little thing you keep doing with your hands, which I assume you consider a feint move. Sort of thing you see in a Martial Arts movie. As a result of all the "feinting" and moving your defense is seriously lacking. You would benefit from having a more traditional, higher-held guard. It doesn't have to be stationary.

As you got tired and you stopped with the movement and "feinting" you basically had no defence. I noticed you bringing your gloves up and tapping your headguard several times, as if to remind yourself you can defend if necessary. The problem is it isn't an "if necessary" thing. You need to drill defense into your makeup.

On the front-foot you look like you have that side worked out. Your attack will benefit also from being more defensively minded. You jump in often, and again, with low hands or your "epic feint" move, and your opponent is able to catch you when you're trying to get your stuff off.

Comment

Thanks for the link!

I'm not going to give you opinions, I'm going to give you facts. Boxing is a dangerous sport so I'm going to give it to you as I see it.

Round 1

To start, looks like your in good shape. Your shoulders look muscular, especially for a 17 year-old. You're not passive, being first is a big deal.

You're probing a bit too much with your jab. Also, you're doing a lot of unecessary movements. Moving is good, but move to get into position and move while punching, just don't move to move. This isn't a professional fight and you don't have all the time in the world to set traps. Hold your ground and make those jabs count. By you probing and throwing flakey jabs you're just giving the oher guy opportunites to counter or walk through you.

The combo you throw at 1:09, you're footwork needs to improve. Plus, he was holding close to the center of the ring. Think about getting him closer to the ropes to stop his escape.

At 1:13, the jab to the body and the hook to the head was nice, but think about the straight left after the hook because you're in perfect position for it. In this case you would have landed it nicely. In the Am's you want 3 or 5 punch combo's a lot. The clock is ticking.

The 1-2 at 1:16, your left cheek should be touching your left shoulder and your right hand should be in the guard position, not down at your waist. Youre stance is square as well which puts your chin closer to him and he lands the uppercut as a result.

I notice you're moving left a lot which is directly into his power, think about moving to the right which is his weak side.

The combo at 1:50 is terrible man. That's the second time you walk/fumble forward throwing a combo. Even if you land there is no power on it because your feet are out of place. You're like walking forward with no root. Throw that out asap. All he has to do is shuffle back, drop a hard 1-2 or a 2 and its over.

Your guard or lack thereof is allowing him to tee-off on you. Right hands, right hand leads, and left hooks are the intro to beating a southpaw and he's landing them at will because your hands are down.

I notice your rear foot is flat a lot. Address this.

Round 2

Getting back to your rear foot. I notice its at 9:00, turn it to about 10:00-11:00 and stay on the ball most of the time. Two ways to put power on your straight left is rear foot completely flat (10:00-12:00 and usually when you time a guy coming in or if they're on the ropes), and the other is to pivot from 11:00 to 12:00 (like your stomping out a cigar on the street) and usually done stationary or after a shuffle.

Back to your jab, he doesn't respect your probing jab because it has nothing on it so he's coming in now and hitting you with the kitchen sink. If you were comitting to your jab he would think twice before closing the gap so recklessly. Work on your jab in the gym.

When throwing punches the punch should come from your chin and back to your chin.

Round 3

Is there something wrong with your abs? I notice your getting hurt with what appears to be weak shots to the lower belly which is unusual. You look muscular so I'm assuming your abs are developed? Get lower ab workouts in your training. Legs raises, flutter kicks, etc.

You get a guy close to the ropes you should be shoe-shining. Thats a very traditional Am's thing to do. Around 7:59 you got him close to the ropes but you let him off the hook. You do this a few times throughout the match. Get him there and KEEP him there. Shoe-shine that belly and move your way up to the head.

9:27 you fumble forward and like I said above, he shuffles back and drops a right hand on you. You're lucky he didn't put a hook and another right on top of it. This should be a big thing to focus on. 9:34 you fumble forward AGAIN and he hits your with the same right hand AGAIN.

Overall: D+

Things to Fix:
          1. Jab: Stop probing and commit (1-3), use angles.
          2. Footwork: Stop fumbling forward and work on Footwork + Combination Punching. Get your left foot out of 9:00 and toes facing 10:00-11:00. Get your rear foot on the ball.
          3. Defense: Get a high guard.
          4. Punch Form: Punch from the chin.
          5. Combinations: 3-5 punch combo's.
          6. Stop Unnecessary Movements: Be more calculated.
          7. Body Work: Shoe-Shine when you get him on the ropes.
          8. Cut Off The Ring: Must have.
          9. Center Command: Learn about taking over the CENTER of the ring and make the other guy move around. Cut the ring off when needed.
          10. Conditioning: Work on those Abs!

Things I Liked:
          1. Your cardiovascular conditioning was pretty good.
          2. You're tough when getting punched to the head.
          3. You're aggressive.
          4. You often punch first.

Hope this helps. Good luck and send us more film.
          Last edited by McNulty; 11-17-2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
              Thanks for the link!

I'm not going to give you opinions, I'm going to give you facts. Boxing is a dangerous sport so I'm going to give it to you as I see it.

Round 1

To start, looks like your in good shape. Your shoulders look muscular, especially for a 17 year-old. You're not passive, being first is a big deal.

You're probing a bit too much with your jab. Also, you're doing a lot of unecessary movements. Moving is good, but move to get into position and move while punching, just don't move to move. This isn't a professional fight and you don't have all the time in the world to set traps. Hold your ground and make those jabs count. By you probing and throwing flakey jabs you're just giving the oher guy opportunites to counter or walk through you.

The combo you throw at 1:09, you're footwork needs to improve. Plus, he was holding close to the center of the ring. Think about getting him closer to the ropes to stop his escape.

At 1:13, the jab to the body and the hook to the head was nice, but think about the straight left after the hook because you're in perfect position for it. In this case you would have landed it nicely. In the Am's you want 3 or 5 punch combo's a lot. The clock is ticking.

The 1-2 at 1:16, your left cheek should be touching your left shoulder and your right hand should be in the guard position, not down at your waist. Youre stance is square as well which puts your chin closer to him and he lands the uppercut as a result.

I notice you're moving left a lot which is directly into his power, think about moving to the right which is his weak side.

The combo at 1:50 is terrible man. That's the second time you walk/fumble forward throwing a combo. Even if you land there is no power on it because your feet are out of place. You're like walking forward with no root. Throw that out asap. All he has to do is shuffle back, drop a hard 1-2 or a 2 and its over.

Your guard or lack thereof is allowing him to tee-off on you. Right hands, right hand leads, and left hooks are the intro to beating a southpaw and he's landing them at will because your hands are down.

I notice your rear foot is flat a lot. Address this.

Round 2

Getting back to your rear foot. I notice its at 9:00, turn it to about 10:00-11:00 and stay on the ball most of the time. Two ways to put power on your straight left is rear foot completely flat (10:00-12:00 and usually when you time a guy coming in or if they're on the ropes), and the other is to pivot from 11:00 to 12:00 (like your stomping out a cigar on the street) and usually done stationary or after a shuffle.

Back to your jab, he doesn't respect your probing jab because it has nothing on it so he's coming in now and hitting you with the kitchen sink. If you were comitting to your jab he would think twice before closing the gap so recklessly. Work on your jab in the gym.

When throwing punches the punch should come from your chin and back to your chin.

Round 3

Is there something wrong with your abs? I notice your getting hurt with what appears to be weak shots to the lower belly which is unusual. You look muscular so I'm assuming your abs are developed? Get lower ab workouts in your training. Legs raises, flutter kicks, etc.

You get a guy close to the ropes you should be shoe-shining. Thats a very traditional Am's thing to do. Around 7:59 you got him close to the ropes but you let him off the hook. You do this a few times throughout the match. Get him there and KEEP him there. Shoe-shine that belly and move your way up to the head.

9:27 you fumble forward and like I said above, he shuffles back and drops a right hand on you. You're lucky he didn't put a hook and another right on top of it. This should be a big thing to focus on. 9:34 you fumble forward AGAIN and he hits your with the same right hand AGAIN.

Overall: D+

Things to Fix:
              1. Jab: Stop probing and commit (1-3), use angles.
              2. Footwork: Stop fumbling forward and work on Footwork + Combination Punching. Get your left foot out of 9:00 and toes facing 10:00-11:00. Get your rear foot on the ball.
              3. Defense: Get a high guard.
              4. Punch Form: Punch from the chin.
              5. Combinations: 3-5 punch combo's.
              6. Stop Unnecessary Movements: Be more calculated.
              7. Body Work: Shoe-Shine when you get him on the ropes.
              8. Cut Off The Ring: Must have.
              9. Center Command: Learn about taking over the CENTER of the ring and make the other guy move around. Cut the ring off when needed.
              10. Conditioning: Work on those Abs!

Things I Liked:
              1. Your cardiovascular condition was pretty good.
              2. You're tough when getting punched to the head.
              3. You're aggressive.
              4. You often punch first.
              Thank you very much for your feedback, i can take a huge benefit from this!.About my abs, i feel the upper part is weak, i will train them a lot for sure.I'll keep working and i will be recording all the fights to see how i progress, once more, thanks for the analysis!

Comment

Originally posted by White Willy View Post
                You spend too much time posing, dancing around in range and looking at your opponent. I can't stand that little thing you keep doing with your hands, which I assume you consider a feint move. Sort of thing you see in a Martial Arts movie. As a result of all the "feinting" and moving your defense is seriously lacking. You would benefit from having a more traditional, higher-held guard. It doesn't have to be stationary.

As you got tired and you stopped with the movement and "feinting" you basically had no defence. I noticed you bringing your gloves up and tapping your headguard several times, as if to remind yourself you can defend if necessary. The problem is it isn't an "if necessary" thing. You need to drill defense into your makeup.

On the front-foot you look like you have that side worked out. Your attack will benefit also from being more defensively minded. You jump in often, and again, with low hands or your "epic feint" move, and your opponent is able to catch you when you're trying to get your stuff off.
                Thanks for your feedback!.Yeah, i notice the thing i do with the hands is pretty useless, i will definetly work the defense, thank you so much!

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  Its really hard to say what style would fit you best or make any real observations based on one fight.

I notice that you walk in without keeping your guard and was getting hit as a result.

Using your jab as a range finder, but not really connecting with it - and at times just throwing it out there in a lazy manner and that allowed him to counter right over it.
                  Yeah, stupid question, i will better focus on learning the basics, thank you so much for the feedback! i learned a lot!

Comment

Thank you very much for your feedback, i can take a huge benefit from this!.About my abs, i feel the upper part is weak, i will train them a lot for sure.I'll keep working and i will be recording all the fights to see how i progress, once more, thanks for the analysis!
                    You're welcome.

Make sure to do your ab routine after you do your calisthenics at the beginning of your workout. You want you abs activated by the time you start throwing punches. Very important.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X