Tia Sharp found dead

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tia Sharp found dead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19214964
    Police searching for the missing schoolgirl Tia Sharp have found a body in her grandmother's south London home.

The Metropolitan Police said the body was found following a search of the property in New Addington, Croydon, earlier.

The 12-year-old has been missing since last Friday.

Police are seeking Stuart Hazell, 37, the partner of Tia's grandmother Christine Sharp, and have asked people to call 999 rather than approach him.

No arrests have been made.

The body is yet to be identified but Tia's family has been informed.

The BBC's Ben Ando said police sources said they had yet to determine how long the body had been at the property.

Hundreds of residents helped in the search for Tia
    Officers had cordoned off the area around the house at about noon to carry out a forensic search and the Met had said the search could take up to two days.

Earlier, officers with a police dog spent about 30 minutes in the house.

Tia's uncle, grandmother and Mr Hazell had all made emotional appeals to find the schoolgirl.

Mr Hazell was believed to have been the last person to have seen her.

His sister, Sarah Parrat, said she did not believe her brother was involved and suspected "he is probably in a pub somewhere trying to get his head around it".

Tia was reported to have gone missing after leaving her grandmother's house on her way to the Whitgift shopping centre in Croydon.

Alston Millington, 32, who lives nearby, said: "It is such sad news. I live just around the corner and can't believe it."

Following Tia's disappearance, a Facebook campaign was launched to find her and about 200 people helped police comb a woodland near the house.

It is understood the schoolgirl regularly visited her grandmother's house and was believed to have been at the property alone with Mr Hazell the night before she disappeared.

Mr Hazell, who said he was not the last person to see the girl leave the house, was questioned by police on Wednesday.

Before officers sealed the house earlier on Friday to carry out a search, Mrs Sharp was seen to leave the property with police in plain clothes.

At the time she said the missing girl's mother, Natalie, was "in bits" and that she did not know where she was as "she needed to get away".

She said all family members had done their "own little separate bit" to help in the search, including Mr Hazell, but she did not know where he was.

Mrs Sharp also added: "He knows the finger has been pointed at him.

"He knows this and it's been really hard for him."

In an interview on Thursday with ITV News, Mr Hazell issued a plea to Tia to come home.

Referring to the finger being pointed at him, he said: "Well, if they believe what they read in the papers, they can believe whatever they like because I know deep down in my heart that Tia walked out of my house, she walked out of there."
    7 days to find a body in a small council home is disgusting. And I could tell Stuart Hazell was guilty the first time I laid eyes upon him. His wording gave him away.

The police need to take a long hard look at themselves, and the death penalty needs to be reintroduced.

Blimey! That's horrendous!

Comment

Police standards have slipped of late.

Comment

I knew it was that step grandad.

He looked so dodgy when he did the interview with his shifty eyes.

Comment

37 year old step-grandad. What a world.

Comment

**** around and its actually the grandma!

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
              the death penalty needs to be reintroduced.
              The reason that the death penalty shouldn't be reintroduced is this:

I could tell Stuart Hazell was guilty the first time I laid eyes upon him. His wording gave him away.
              No evidence, no proof, just "he looks dodgy, it's him".

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post

Obviously I wouldn't want him killed straight away. But it's clear he's guilty. Once they have the evidence and the confession it's a wrap.

Wish they'd drop him on a bed on nails.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
                  Obviously I wouldn't want him killed straight away. But it's clear he's guilty. Once they have the evidence and the confession it's a wrap.

Wish they'd drop him on a bed on nails.
                  How is it clear he's guilty when you don't know what the evidence (if any) is yet?

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post

You dont think the aurora theatre killer deserves death?

Comment

Working...
                    X