History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Heavy Bag View Post
    Yeah it from the second fight.

Amazing Monzon recovered, when he seemed to be completey out on his feet. Brsicoe was a devastating puncher.

I belive film is not known to exsit of there 1st fight. But you never know and wound't be shocked if it did, would love to see it.
    That's a great pic. Monzon was absolutely out on his feet, but for some reason Briscoe froze and he was dominatated the rest of the fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
      No, it is not Pacquiaos past successes but the fact that the fighters he is taking on are shot in my opinion. Those are guys who shouldn't be fighting anymore. Any good fighter would dismantle those guys int he same fashion. Sergio Martinez would not only beat the two guys Pacquiao beat, but he would probably knock them both out.
      Sergio Martinez certainly would. Sergio Martinez, however, isn't a former Flyweight fighter. Sergio Martinez wasn't fighting at 130lbs. three years ago. Sergio Martinez hasn't moved through fighters ranked anywhere from #1 to #6 or 7 in their division in one higher weightclass after another.

I think a straight comparison just on the class of fighters is not fair game here, & won't be unless Martinez is knocking men over at, say, Cruiserweight, because Pacquiao is making once-in-a-lifetime climbs in weight. Besides that, I don't believe Pavlik is at a significantly better stage in his career than Margarito is in his.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        That's a great pic. Monzon was absolutely out on his feet, but for some reason Briscoe froze and he was dominatated the rest of the fight.
        Yeah, if you didn't know result and looking at the picture, you'd think right away Briscoe continued to attack and scored a KO/TKO victory. Amazing that only a few minutes later Monzon was back boxing Bennie's ear's off.

Comment

• Originally posted by S.G. View Post
          The fact is the Clottey and Margarito fight were foregone conclusions, and fights that no one particularly wanted or cared about before they were made.
          As I said, had Pacquiao done exactly the same thing this year as he did, but had previously struggled or lost to any combination of De La Hoya, Hatton & Cotto, people would be saying how great his work was in 2010.

I'm not going to punish him for being so good (those were a pair of excellent victories, I don't care what anybody has to say. Show me another guy going through the divisions like this who could do it), & I'm not going to say Martinez isn't deserving of FOTY. I'm simply saying to call it a foregone conclusion that Martinez is the choice, period, is putting too much emphasis on a fighter having a breakthrough year.

That's really what this was for Martinez --- a breakthrough year. The fact Pacquiao has already broken through & continues to brutalise rivals he frankly should have no business fighting (were it not for the fact he is the freak he is) does not diminish his results to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
            Sergio Martinez certainly would. Sergio Martinez, however, isn't a former Flyweight fighter. Sergio Martinez wasn't fighting at 130lbs. three years ago. Sergio Martinez hasn't moved through fighters ranked anywhere from #1 to #6 or 7 in their division in one higher weightclass after another.

I think a straight comparison just on the class of fighters is not fair game here, & won't be unless Martinez is knocking men over at, say, Cruiserweight, because Pacquiao is making once-in-a-lifetime climbs in weight. Besides that, I don't believe Pavlik is at a significantly better stage in his career than Margarito is in his.
            Pacquiao has been coming in between 143 and 148 since he was fighting at 130. He may have jumped "weight class" but he has been fighting at that weight for a long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post

Where was Margarito ranked?

Comment

• Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                Where was Margarito ranked?
                Margarito was ranked No1 at 154lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                  By who exactly?

Comment

• anyone else plan on watching Holyfield this year? Word is it, that if he gets passed Williams and Nielson, he'll get a shot at the WBC title.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                      i agree with you, The sanctioning bodies are the ones we must blame.
                      Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                      Yes it would seem that when they rank someone who shouldn't have been ranked in the top ten, let alone number 1, they sure suit your purposes though.

Who did he beat to get the number 1 spot?

When was his last ranked fight there before jumping directly from a KO loss and cheating scandal to the number 1 spot directly over everyone that had been ranked number one through ten and had actually fought for those spots?

Which champion, or number 1, 2, 3 fighter did he beat to get ranked at all?

Comment

Working...
                      X