Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robinson Or Ali Who Shall Be Remebered As The Greater Fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robinson Or Ali Who Shall Be Remebered As The Greater Fighter?

Well?????????

Discuss

By boxing fans/historians - Sugar Ray Robinson

By the general public - Muhammed Ali

Comment

Sugar Ray Robinson was gifted with everything you need to be a the Greatest, Speed, Skill, Great chin, footwork and somthing Ali wish he had good punching power.

As Ali said "Pound for Pound Ray Robinson is the Greatest"

But history will be more kind to Ali then to Robinson in the General public.

But i can't place anyone above Robinson, Though Henry Armstrong comes close.

Comment

Sugar Ray Robinson and it isn't even close.

Robinson defeated Angott (x3), Zivic (x2), LaMotta (x5), Armstrong, Gavilan (x2), Olson, Turpin, Graziano, Fullmer, Basilio, Servo (x2), Shank, Bell, Villemain and I could continue but I don't want to bore you.

Robinson was beaten in years that can be considered his prime only by LaMotta, who outweighed him by a lot and Randy Turpin, both of which losses he avenged (LaMotta on more then one occasion). Any loss after that Robinson was past his prime and he was still able to compete at a high level defeating some all time greats.

Whilst it's debateable, Ali should be 53-8 losses. Two extra losses to Ken Norton as well as Jimmy Young, who was robbed blind. Ali has a terrific resume as well with victories over Foreman, Frazier (x2) & Norton (x2; Norton was robbed on BOTH occasions that he lost), Liston (x2; second fight was dubious), Quarry, Lyle, Ellis & Young (who was robbed blind). But his resume doesn't beat SRR's and SRR had longevity to go with it and remained world class for a longer period of time.

Robinson is consistently ranked as the P4P#1 by most credible historians and is consistently ranked among the sports elite Welterweight & Middleweight fighters and also defeated future Lightweight champion and future hall of famer in his early career AS a Lightweight.

Ali will perhaps be remembered as the greater fighter by the general public due to his gimmick and Ali is, without doubt, the most well known sportsman EVER. But anybody with basic boxing knowledge should know that Robinson is the P4P greatest.

Comment

SRR. Ali happily states SRR is the greatest fighter boxing has seen. His skills were superlative.

Comment

Ali by a fooking country mile. Salty Gay Robinson isn't going to be remembered by the big public anyway(and most of it has to do with his era) so this answer is actually a fact.

Ali has around 10 ATG's on his resume, fought in the greatest era ever, displayed some of the greatest skills ever and has many ATG fights, fought through adversity more than anyone i've seen since he was robbed of his prime years and still came back and won the title back several times too.

Comment

ALI!
              simnply because there is more and better quality video footage

Comment

2/3 of the worlds population dont know robinsons but know ali

Comment

Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
                  By boxing fans/historians - Sugar Ray Robinson

By the general public - Muhammed Ali
                  Thats exactly what i was going to say.

Comment

Ali... For his stands against political racism...

Boxing wise... There's little to choose... Both ATG's in my opinion....

Comment

Working...
                    X