No announcement yet.

American amateur boxing..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Check View Post
    I'm not mad, I just think amateur boxing has become a shell of itself. I actually think it is sending the wrong message to fighters and could be encouraging to fight a certain style as a pro that will not benefit their career. I look at Amir Khan for example....Perfect amateur style but still getting laid out by fighters. I just feel the amateur program should be used to groom fighters, not be a different style. The head gear has got to go.
    you have to remember that these are mostly just kids. amateur boxing is expressly designed to be less violent than the pros (w/ the headguards and point-scoring style & c.) so as to (a) reduce the lasting damage sustained by the fighters, (b) permit them to fight more frequently and accrue experience, and (c) let them build a solid technical foundation. these fighters are works in progress -- the last thing they need is every fight becoming a life-and-death battle like in the pros.

Comment

Comment

They may do better in the pros now but remember kiddos all that just proves it more that boxing is getting more better on the global scale in the future.

Comment

its not so much the scoring system as the fact that american boxing simply isnt as good as it used to be. most americans lack in fundamentals which gets exposed more easily in the ams than the pros.

look at warren, the kid was just plain sloppy in there. stepping back in straight lines with his hands at his waist and whatnot, giving up all sorts of free shots. when you only got 9min and the fight is scored blow for blow you cant get away with giving away nearly half a dozen points like that.

errol spence looked very good to me though, a bit raw in some ways but very good overall. pity he got robbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
            I'm not mad, I just think amateur boxing has become a shell of itself. I actually think it is sending the wrong message to fighters and could be encouraging to fight a certain style as a pro that will not benefit their career. I look at Amir Khan for example....Perfect amateur style but still getting laid out by fighters. I just feel the amateur program should be used to groom fighters, not be a different style. The head gear has got to go.
            You're definitely mad my man.

You wanna know what's wrong with American amateur boxing? 3 time olympian and never won a fight, if I heard Teddy right.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
              This is not the pro's it's the amateurs. But you're correct, American's are good in the pro's, but their style isn't suited to amateur boxing.
              Talk about a bumsniffwer

Comment

I just don't get why the american's always get the short end of the stick....Politics?

Comment

Originally posted by $ j-210 $ View Post
                  I just don't get why the american's always get the short end of the stick....Politics?
                  Huh? Plenty of people been getting robbed lately, not just Americans.

Comment

During Olympic coverage, Oscar De La Hoya "tweeted" that he was going to request that he, "Sugar" Ray Leonard and Mark Breland be allowed to coach the U.S. Olympic team. I don't know how much good that would do. The scoring seems to be the problem, not the coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                      During Olympic coverage, Oscar De La Hoya "tweeted" that he was going to request that he, "Sugar" Ray Leonard and Mark Breland be allowed to coach the U.S. Olympic team. I don't know how much good that would do. The scoring seems to be the problem, not the coaching.
                      Idk man, some of these Americans seemed to fight to tentative or passive from the second round on. Warren is a perfect example from today. I forgot who the other guy was, he just pretty much got bullied in the 3rd round and lost.

Comment

Working...
                      X