Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people think Mares would be more competitive than Rigo vs Donaire?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mares fought a much higher level of competition than Rigo. Much higher!

Comment

Mares deserves that respect.

He proven it through actual fights. Professional fights. Tough fights, Fights People didnt think he can win.

Rigo hasnt done jack shit in the pros, except ***** and moan.

Mares resolve is at a higher level then Rigo, Rigo seems like when he cant out box you that it their no other gear, Mares can do multiple things in their.

Comment

I honestly thought that Mares would lose to Moreno, but he proved me wrong. He effectively closed the distance landing hard punches, successfully overwhelming the more polished Panamanian.

He isn't simply a come-forward boxer who'd be wide open to Donaire's brutal counter-punches. Moreno and Nonito are two different levels, of course, but I'd never rule out Mares and he's definitely more deserving of a fight against Donaire than Rigondeaux is, IMO.

Comment

Mares is too small for Donaire. Besides I don't want to watch Mares dry hump Donaire all night. Rigo is the only fighter who can compete with Donaire at that weight. Now I've been critical of all the Rigo over hyping on this site but the dude can fight. I just don't think Rigo has fought anybody yet. Those guys might have good records but I judge on the persons ability. And the guys Rigos fighting have shown little of that.

Comment

Right now, the only reason I'd pick Mares as more competitive is because he will give himself opportunities to win rounds, he has proven this against a variety of styles in high profile fights. He may end up getting KO'ed for his troubles but that doesn't mean the fight itself wasn't competitive while it lasted.

as it stands right now, I think Mares will get more of the benefit of the doubt in close rounds from the judges where I don't know if Rigo will yet. Keep in mind that Mares did have a technical upbringing as well before he starting going ballz to the wall, he has decent fundamentals

we still don't really know who Rigo is as a pro - his aura still clings onto the AM record because he has yet to find an identity. Trying to figure all that out in the midst of a fight with Donaire would be trouble IMO. All that really needs to happen for him is a coming out party type of fight and I'd be ready to re-evaluate these two matchups.

I don't want to see Rigo outbox Donaire only to get robbed, therefore, I think he needs to establish himself a little more in order to get the respect and privileges champions get in big fights.

Comment

He's much more accomplished than Rigo. A victory over Mares would mean more than a w over Rigo. Call me crazy but I think Mares has the style to beat Donaire. Donaire doesn't know how to fight on the inside. He has to keep his distance to throw and land his shots. Just look at his fight against Mathebula. The most effective gameplan against a tall rangy guy would be to get inside with combinations to the head and the body, but instead he kept his distance and kept getting hit with the jab. I know Mares is not tall and rangy but if he can smother Donaire and pin him against the ropes it'd be interesting o see how Donaire reacts.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                Mares fought a much higher level of competition than Rigo. Much higher!
                Has he though? I mean he has fought the bigger more renowned names, sure. But he is yet to have a win over a legit 122lb fighter.

I give him credit for beating Moreno, Agbeko (who I never rated highly) & Darchinyan but these fights was at lower weights.

Moreno & Mares fought at 122, both moving up but that was basically a 118 fight for the 122 strap.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonf96 View Post
                  He's much more accomplished than Rigo. A victory over Mares would mean more than a w over Rigo. Call me crazy but I think Mares has the style to beat Donaire. Donaire doesn't know how to fight on the inside. He has to keep his distance to throw and land his shots. Just look at his fight against Mathebula. The most effective gameplan against a tall rangy guy would be to get inside with combinations to the head and the body, but instead he kept his distance and kept getting hit with the jab. I know Mares is not tall and rangy but if he can smother Donaire and pin him against the ropes it'd be interesting o see how Donaire reacts.
                  He couldn't get inside on Mathebula, because Mathebula was committed on the back foot.

Comment

I give Mares literally no chance. His come forward style is made to order for Donaire. If he can take that left hook(which he can't), he could get inside and outwork a very inactive Donaire. I give Rigo a much better shot because he can outbox Donaire. Donaire doesn't throw enough punches to set up a KO without his opponent coming forward. On the outside, he can time him and frustrate in a close cat and mouse fight.

Comment

Mares is a proven commodity......

Rigo has potential

Comment

Working...
                      X