No announcement yet.

Arcade Talk Game Review Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assassin's Creed III (PS3)

an inconsistent and somewhat bland experience.

Gameplay:
    melee combat is largely the same. they rearranged the controls for shooting, and countering.

free running can be fluid (depending on how predetermined your path is) or plain godawful if you deviate too much. this is my main gripe with the game. i would've liked to have two separate buttons for sprinting and "free running" since they added so many little things within the cities that will throw your character off with one flick of your thumbstick. it gets highly frustrating with all the glitches involved.

free running in the Frontier pose the same problems but to a lesser extent. you'll find yourself jumping from one identical tree to the next.

the horse mechanic is clunky and damn near useless when you're off the roads. a small rock or a fallen log will stop it completely and, if that wasn't bad enough, the X button (of all buttons... if you play RDR regularly this will PISS YOU OFF) spurs OR rears the horse which serves NO purpose other than to fail your mission when you're chasing somebody and there's a time limit. i have no idea why it's there.

upgrading your ship, and the naval battles is an absolutely amazing experience however. it's the highest point of the game for me, which says a lot for a series that's supposed to be about assassinating folks. perhaps there should've been more of it. Ubisoft could totally make a full game out of it.

Graphics:
    relatively the same as it's predecessors; nothing in particular stands out as an improvement. it's color palette is VERY similar to Red Dead Redemption. in fact, it could be mistaken for RDR at times.

there's lots of little glitches here and there that nibble at your feet like: NPCs randomly disappearing, clipping into objects, your character getting stuck/unresponsive, environment "holes" etc. the day/night cycle was cool but like many things in the game, it's not seamless. when you initiate a mission during the day sometimes the following cutscene will be at night.

the two major cities available (Boston and New York) are identically bland. lots of brown and well... more brown. most buildings are short, small, and sporadic to a point where free running on rooftops seem pointless. they're much more organic and interactive compared to previous cities in the series i suppose but the overall setting lacks a "wow" factor. nothing so far has compared to how simply amazing Venice was.

Story:
    it takes it's time and develops itself well but, overall i didn't care for it. the revolutionary war setting, and the characters weren't that intriguing for me. you're often jumping from one place and time to another which made the middle parts somewhat convoluted.

they throw a lot of prop characters at you by the way and nobody memorable. Ezio was a better developed, well rounded, and lively character with a brilliant voice actor, Connor however was um stoic? his wooden delivery from beginning to end bored me to tears. awful character.

there was no urge for me to chase and kill the bad guys this time. ACII clearly had the better set up and pay off at the end. i was just going through the motions with this one.

Comment

RESIDENT EVIL 6

Pros: Sub par Action game with a Michael Bay feel, wait.. that's a bad thing. Also makes you truly appreciate Resident Evil 5.

Cons: Sloppy, run to corridor to corridor. Online play is awful, the action is overdone for a 'horror' game, upgrading gun system is bad, story is bad, controlling jets, driving cars, and hiding in trash cans. Graphics are weaker than RE5, The worst resident evil.

Overall Rating: 6.0

Rent it if you have to, IF YOU HAVE to.. i wouldn't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post

Gameplay:
        melee combat is largely the same. they rearranged the controls for shooting, and countering.

free running can be fluid (depending on how predetermined your path is) or plain godawful if you deviate too much. this is my main gripe with the game. i would've liked to have two separate buttons for sprinting and "free running" since they added so many little things within the cities that will throw your character off with one flick of your thumbstick. it gets highly frustrating with all the glitches involved.

free running in the Frontier pose the same problems but to a lesser extent. you'll find yourself jumping from one identical tree to the next.

the horse mechanic is clunky and damn near useless when you're off the roads. a small rock or a fallen log will stop it completely and, if that wasn't bad enough, the X button (of all buttons... if you play RDR regularly this will PISS YOU OFF) spurs OR rears the horse which serves NO purpose other than to fail your mission when you're chasing somebody and there's a time limit. i have no idea why it's there.

upgrading your ship, and the naval battles is an absolutely amazing experience however. it's the highest point of the game for me, which says a lot for a series that's supposed to be about assassinating folks. perhaps there should've been more of it. Ubisoft could totally make a full game out of it.

Graphics:
        relatively the same as it's predecessors; nothing in particular stands out as an improvement. it's color palette is VERY similar to Red Dead Redemption. in fact, it could be mistaken for RDR at times.

there's lots of little glitches here and there that nibble at your feet like: NPCs randomly disappearing, clipping into objects, your character getting stuck/unresponsive, environment "holes" etc. the day/night cycle was cool but like many things in the game, it's not seamless. when you initiate a mission during the day sometimes the following cutscene will be at night.

the two major cities available (Boston and New York) are identically bland. lots of brown and well... more brown. most buildings are short, small, and sporadic to a point where free running on rooftops seem pointless. they're much more organic and interactive compared to previous cities in the series i suppose but the overall setting lacks a "wow" factor. nothing so far has compared to how simply amazing Venice was.

Story:
        it takes it's time and develops itself well but, overall i didn't care for it. the revolutionary war setting, and the characters weren't that intriguing for me. you're often jumping from one place and time to another which made the middle parts somewhat convoluted.

they throw a lot of prop characters at you by the way and nobody memorable. Ezio was a better developed, well rounded, and lively character with a brilliant voice actor, Connor however was um stoic? his wooden delivery from beginning to end bored me to tears. awful character.

there was no urge for me to chase and kill the bad guys this time. ACII clearly had the better set up and pay off at the end. i was just going through the motions with this one.
        Very solid review bro.

I'm a huge AC fan and I can't help but feel let down with this game. In the end, after finishing the game, it just didn't compare to the past games and I miss Rome and Ezio.

The naval missions were the most enjoyable parts of the game by far. Which makes me realize how awesome a realistic pirate game would be. They showed me it could be done and in a fun way. Also they dropped the ball on multiplayer, not just because it sucks, but I think tons of people would have a blast if they had some kind of naval multiplayer mode. Tons of potential there.

Another thing I noticed is there were no puzzles in the game. Whereas in Brotherhood & AC2 that was part of the fun - figuring out some sort of puzzle to open a door, unlock a clue, etc. I don't know why they completely removed that this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
          Very solid review bro.

I'm a huge AC fan and I can't help but feel let down with this game. In the end, after finishing the game, it just didn't compare to the past games and I miss Rome and Ezio.

The naval missions were the most enjoyable parts of the game by far. Which makes me realize how awesome a realistic pirate game would be. They showed me it could be done and in a fun way. Also they dropped the ball on multiplayer, not just because it sucks, but I think tons of people would have a blast if they had some kind of naval multiplayer mode. Tons of potential there.

Another thing I noticed is there were no puzzles in the game. Whereas in Brotherhood & AC2 that was part of the fun - figuring out some sort of puzzle to open a door, unlock a clue, etc. I don't know why they completely removed that this time around.
          They really need to make a full game out of those naval battles. Not Assassin's Creed, a whole new franchise where you can give orders to multiple ships and stuff. That is so much fun to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post

Gameplay:

Graphics:

Story:

excellent review man I agree about setting and founding fathers not being that interesting didn't like the naval that much it became repetitive after a while but was very well done and looked pretty.
            for me the homestead missions story is the only thing stood out in this game redeemed the game somewhat

Comment

Beat the new Tomb Raider, highly recommend it. Plays a lot like Uncharted but with more fluid platforming and movement. Kind of disappointed they abandon the survival aspect from the beginning of the game, otherwise I don't have a major complaint.

Comment

Working...
              X