Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7th March 87.. Hearns Vs Andries.. WBC L/H Title..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7th March 87.. Hearns Vs Andries.. WBC L/H Title..

Who remembers this classic encounter..?

More knock downs than a Dutch Auction...

Historians... Please comment...

Bizarre... No interest for 7 KD's in 2 rounds.. Very disappointing!

Comment

i went to that fight, it was at the palace. I dont recall 7 kds but I do rember thinking this english chap is a game mofo. hearns was just laying them in there from what i remember. actually got to throw some fists with andries down at galaxy a few years later. really nice guy outta the ring...................Rockin'

Comment

I remember the fight and a game Andries took a battering that night. Do you remember Andries' epic 3 fight series with Jeff Harding.

Comment

I believe Andries started training with the Kronk gym after his loss to Hearns, polishing his skills and later captured two more light heavyweight titles.

Andries was wild, awkward and tough. Hearns could be dragged into a brawl against these type of fighters but he did not have much trouble beating Andries. It's not one of Hearns' best wins or performances but it's a notable one.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            i went to that fight, it was at the palace. I dont recall 7 kds but I do rember thinking this english chap is a game mofo. hearns was just laying them in there from what i remember. actually got to throw some fists with andries down at galaxy a few years later. really nice guy outta the ring...................Rockin'
            It was either 5 or 7.. Must admit.. My memory occasionally fails me..

I can remember being surprised the ref didn't stop it earlier..

Poor Andries was up & down like a yoyo in the last 2.. Think it went 7 or 8..
            He was on auto pilot while stumbling around the ring, but the word QUIT, never really appealed to Dennis.. He was game alright!!
            Tommy was on top of his game that night, but inspite of the KD's, couldn't put him out..
            I Know a few people who know Andries, & like you say, he's a good egg out'a the ring.. Still uses the London tubes, & my his own admission, no one ever recognizes him.. Dennis is cool with that.. He doen't even know his own age.. Further more, he doesn't care!

Comment

Originally posted by |-|urricane View Post
              I remember the fight and a game Andries took a battering that night. Do you remember Andries' epic 3 fight series with Jeff Harding.
              For sure..

They were fantastic fights that put both guys on the map..
              Harding took the title from Dennis in an epic battle..
              By public demand a re match followed..
              Pre fight, Harry Carpenter warned Harding, that Dennis was a lot more experienced, & would have learned from the 1st fight..
              Harding responded with, " Sure, he's more experienced, he's been KO'd & I haven't"..
              Andries responded by KOing him in the 7th..
              Think the rubber match was won on points by Harding..
              These were clashes between 2 very hard men indeed..
              Last edited by mickey malone; 06-30-2009, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                It was either 5 or 7.. Must admit.. My memory occasionally fails me..

I can remember being surprised the ref didn't stop it earlier..

Poor Andries was up & down like a yoyo in the last 2.. Think it went 7 or 8..
                He was on auto pilot while stumbling around the ring, but the word QUIT, never really appealed to Dennis.. He was game alright!!
                Tommy was on top of his game that night, but inspite of the KD's, couldn't put him out..
                I Know a few people who know Andries, & like you say, he's a good egg out'a the ring.. Still uses the London tubes, & my his own admission, no one ever recognizes him.. Dennis is cool with that.. He doen't even know his own age.. Further more, he doesn't care!
                At around the same time Andries was winning the light-heavy title, Frank Bruno was getting KO'd by Tyson. Andries returned home to an empty airport, whereas thousands were there to greet Bruno.

If there was a gamer fighter than Dennis Andries, I didn't see him. After getting KO'd by Hearns he asked Manny Steward if he'd help improve him as a fighter. And to his credit, he went out to the Kronk gym, worked his nuts off and ended up winning a couple more titles.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                  I believe Andries started training with the Kronk gym after his loss to Hearns, polishing his skills and later captured two more light heavyweight titles.

Andries was wild, awkward and tough. Hearns could be dragged into a brawl against these type of fighters but he did not have much trouble beating Andries. It's not one of Hearns' best wins or performances but it's a notable one.
                  Very true..

At the time, I was really surprised, because The Kronk was known (& still is) for producing a multitude of slick & speedy fighters..
                  Dennis was neither.. In fact, quite the opposite.. He was crude & clumsey..
                  However... After tending Tommy's corner that night, Manny Steward saw big potential in Andries, so invited him aboard.. Dennis improved considerably under Steward's guidence, beating guys he wouldn't have before.. He even added Bobby Czyz to his resume.. The move proved right & added longevity to his career..

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
                    At around the same time Andries was winning the light-heavy title, Frank Bruno was getting KO'd by Tyson. Andries returned home to an empty airport, whereas thousands were there to greet Bruno.

If there was a gamer fighter than Dennis Andries, I didn't see him. After getting KO'd by Hearns he asked Manny Steward if he'd help improve him as a fighter. And to his credit, he went out to the Kronk gym, worked his nuts off and ended up winning a couple more titles.
                    Rock on Kid!! See my post to Great A..

Comment

Working...
                    X