View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 08:38 PM #14
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
LA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,000,501,392,331.43
I wish I could just get up off the couch and go 12. - Just Now Hit Me Wash that oven-fresh gooey cookie down with a piping hot cup of joe. - Just Now Hit Me 

Robert is there to let Floyd know if he has any business in the ring with Canelo. A "tune-up" I guess...I consider Ghost more than that, but I can see why people are let down. I'll really go off the deep end and say that Robert is the perfect tune-up for either Canelo or Trout because of his ability to fight in multiple styles all while being a southpaw.

Not saying either of them will end up winning but this is a boxing pick, not a money fight. Robert has been injured but is relatively fresh for his age. Floyd's older and has been inactive so there might be some question in their minds where he is against younger fighters. If you want to criticize the fight t=hat's fine, Floyd has done this to himself by taking time off to maximize dollars in every fight he makes

I don't think we can really say that the Cotto fight gives us/them a good indication of where Floyd is after seeing how Trout dominated him.

so thats why I think they do it from a boxing perspective...

as far as money, well it looks like Robert is on his list of opponents regardless of which order they take. From that premise, it seems to make sense to fight Robert first (for the reasons I mentioned above) and to maximize both events. Since he is a smaller name and they have the built in storyline of Floyd's inactivity and jail time, they don't need to spend a ton of money in promoting and elevating Robert since there will be interest in Floyd's return anyway. Floyd-Canelo, with or without the jail/inactivity thing, will sell.

if you'd like to argue that Floyd-Trout should be the fight that happens first, I could get with that because they have the recent common opponent and Trout being a no-name means less during a promotion of floyd coming back. however, if there was some imaginary boxing totem pole, I'd put Robert slightly above trout in the deserving category because he's been in the game longer

Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 01-11-2013 at 08:45 PM.
LA_2_Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote