No announcement yet.

Fighting in the Zone!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting in the Zone!

Allright so I was reading this article about "the zone" coach, who teaches famous people in sport like Michael Jordan, Derek Jeter, and Dennis Rodman, all how to play in a special mental state where they are more effective.

The zone is a mental place where you can act more intuitivly and respond better. It focuses on clearing the clutter from your mind so that you only focus on one thing at a time, slip that punch, shoot the basket, hit the baseball. It removes worries and fears and other negative things that will effect you.

He says that to achieve the zone, your jaw must be loose. You cannot be in the zone with a tight jaw. Just imagine Derek Jeter, who yawns at the plate, or Michael Jordan who had his tounge out while he slammed dunked, or Muhammed Ali who was famous for losing his mouth piece during the fight because he had his mouth open.

At this point I went HEY WAIT A MINUETE. Ali had his jaw open because over 15 rounds you need to breathe so you open your mouth for air. Something my trainer yells at me for, I usually get winded and need to open my mouth in round 3.

But what do you guys think. Was Ali fighting in the Zone? Or was he just tired? Is this **** BS. Or should we all try to fight with our jaw relaxed.

The jaw needs to be held firm but kept relaxed.

If you hold the jaw tense and clenched you can't take punches so well, plus you can't breathe properly when tensed up.

Comment

To me, the zone is something that is found in the dressing room, while your walking the floor decked out in your robe throwing punches. Just waiting to get in there. At that stage I would always close my eyes and find my own world. The sounds around me would dissipate until they were just gone. In that zone I saw an imaginary opponent and his blows coming for my head and body. In my mind I block and counter and jockey for position. This continues coming in and out of focus as different sounds around you distract you from your visions. When you here the locker room door slam open and hear the promoter yell your on, you open your eyes and you are there, ready to go to war.

The zone is also achieved in the ring. At times it seems that everything is sort of further away than it really is. But when you get in the zone everything is right where it should be and you just let your body and spirit take over the fight. You dont even have to think about it. It was not neccesarily uncommon to be in the zone but it wasnt something that was common either. But once you are there, its like some one is just taking your fists and smashing it into this guy. And then pushing your head to the side as your opponents punch whizz's past your ear. Its a great place to be, almost magical.

I never clinched hard on my jaw or mouthpiece. Like somebody said you just have to relax. Cliching down on your mouth piece is a waste of energy and you need every bit when your inside the ropes throwing. Just keep it closed and relaxed. I always fought with my mouth a little open beacuse my nose became hard to breathe out of after a while of getting smashed to my face. I dont know if keeping it open is better, but I wouldnt try it. Broken jaws are a ***** to deal with and its really hard to have a nice steak when its wired shut.............Rockin'

Comment

Ali did get his jaw broken for keeping his mouth open.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin1
          To me, the zone is something that is found in the dressing room, while your walking the floor decked out in your robe throwing punches. Just waiting to get in there. At that stage I would always close my eyes and find my own world. The sounds around me would dissipate until they were just gone. In that zone I saw an imaginary opponent and his blows coming for my head and body. In my mind I block and counter and jockey for position. This continues coming in and out of focus as different sounds around you distract you from your visions. When you here the locker room door slam open and hear the promoter yell your on, you open your eyes and you are there, ready to go to war.

The zone is also achieved in the ring. At times it seems that everything is sort of further away than it really is. But when you get in the zone everything is right where it should be and you just let your body and spirit take over the fight. You dont even have to think about it. It was not neccesarily uncommon to be in the zone but it wasnt something that was common either. But once you are there, its like some one is just taking your fists and smashing it into this guy. And then pushing your head to the side as your opponents punch whizz's past your ear. Its a great place to be, almost magical.
          yea b4 my fights i get "in the zone" as i walk to the ring. its when i get seriously focused

Comment

I don't think fighting with a relaxed jaw give you that zone. It's all about your mentality. I don't think it has anything to do with one specific thing, like keeping your jaw loose. Sounds like the trainer was bs'ing a bit, or trying to make a point. But the zone, the mental focus of the fight, definitely exists.

Comment

It wasnt a trainer. It was the author of "In the Zone" and he advised M.J. and Tiger Woods, so I don't want to say that he was full of ****, but I think he might be.

Still I have been walking around with my jaw open a lot recently.

Comment

Well, like I said, he was bsing a bit or trying to make a point on something. I haven't read the book, though.

Comment

Relaxed Jaw vs. Loose Broken Jaw

IMO I am pretty sure I know what this guy is talking about and what you should do about it.

We learned this in track and field too. Every part of your body THAT IS NOT BEING USED FOR A PURPOSE should be relaxed. The jaw is especially true in most sports since it both relaxes the body and allows better air flow....

HOWEVER, in boxing there IS a purpose to tense the jaw, and that is not getting your jaw broken, your teeth knocked out, etc.

The best thing for boxing/football/martial arts/wretling people to do it to learn how to NATURALLY tense your jaw constantly. Intentionally do it, and eventually you won't have too. Seems like a contradiction, but it's true, like any good paradox.

Comment

There is a good example of this paradox of intention leading to relaxation you could all probably relate to. At the beggining, almost everyone feels awkward keeping their elbows in, and holding them in must be intentional. However, after a while they naturally stay in without intention. Even in a relazxed state, they stay in.

Also, the principal of maximum relaxing still applies to boxing. When punching, you are not pushing or weight lifting, so your shoulders must be loose and your punches relaxed until an explosive, cannon-like snap at the end.

Comment

Working...
                    X