Gammer camp rejects Harrison bid

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gammer camp rejects Harrison bid

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/6190983.stm

British heavyweight champion Scott Gammer's manager says that Audley Harrison has nothing to offer them to fight in London in February.

Harrison's new promoter, Frank Warren, says they have made a "substantial offer" for Gammer to defend his title.

But Paul Boyce says Gammer has little incentive other than money to fight Olympic gold medallist Harrison.

"We've had an offer but Scott doesn't need Audley Harrison at the moment, we have other plans," Boyce said.

"The offer isn't what we'd want financially anyway but it doesn't come down to money, I have a plan for Scott's career."

Gammer was meant to fight Danny Williams at the Afan Lido, Port Talbot, on 16 February.

But the injuries Williams received after stepping in at a week's notice against Harrison on 9 December, losing in three rounds, mean he cannot fight Gammer in February.

Harrison had been meant to face Commonwealth champion Matt Skelton - who also remains a target for the Gammer camp - only for Skelton to withdraw because of a broken hand.

That has seen Warren court Gammer to face Harrison at Wembley Arena on 17 February, but Boyce is unimpressed by the bid.

"Firstly, Scott is the champion - the British champion - based in Wales and I think if he (Harrison) wants that fight then he should come to Wales, and I've told Frank that," Boyce said.

"I'll be discussing it with Scott and his father tonight and I think we've got better options and a better route to go down.

"Scott will probably still box on the 16th, although Danny Williams is certainly out for that date."

Boyce revealed that the contract to face Williams is still in place and a new date is likely to be set for April or May.

Until then Boyce must find his man a new opponent and European champion Michael Sprott is one option for Gammer to face on 16 February in Port Talbot.

"Michael Sprott looks the favourite, especially as he brings the EU title so we can put two titles on the line," Boyce added.

"What people have to realise is that Audley Harrison, apart from his name, has got nothing to offer - Audley Harrison isn't a contender."

Gammer has fear in his heart!

Comment

thats ****ty...he was quite willing to fight williams so why not audley?

maybe boyce's plan for gammer's career involves him remaining unbeaten, but if he isn't going to even step to up to fight someone at audleys level, how the hell is he going to progress?

Comment

The dude has reached beyond his level already and wants to milk it for as long as he can!

Comment

This would have been a good figt for gammer i got no idea why he would reject it

Comment

he may have been offered less money the Harrison, or the fact harrison is not the No1 contender, or he may think that just becasue Wank Warren thinks he runs British boxing he wont have nothing to do with them.

Comment

Originally posted by col Blake View Post
              he may have been offered less money the Harrison, or the fact harrison is not the No1 contender, or he may think that just becasue Wank Warren thinks he runs British boxing he wont have nothing to do with them.
              williams was the no 1 contender (and a warren fighter). he can't fight because of injuries, so i'd of thought audley would be next in line. and i think he's supposed to be fighting sprott next...no way is he going to make the same amount of money fighting him.

Comment

Working...
              X