No announcement yet.

Mayweathers blue print to fame and fortune bad for boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweathers blue print to fame and fortune bad for boxing

Nothing against Floyd I enjoy watching him but the way he picks n chooses when and who he fights I think is bad for the sport overall. All the up and comers don't seem to wanna climb the rankings the old fashioned way. What ever happend to working you way to the top then trying to stay there taking on everyone that poses a threat to your status.now it's all bout who makes me most dollars. Thoughts anyone

Originally posted by Knibbsy1 View Post
    Nothing against Floyd I enjoy watching him but the way he picks n chooses when and who he fights I think is bad for the sport overall. All the up and comers don't seem to wanna climb the rankings the old fashioned way. What ever happend to working you way to the top then trying to stay there taking on everyone that poses a threat to your status.now it's all bout who makes me most dollars. Thoughts anyone
    Respectfully, matchmaking has been the key to successful boxing careers throughout history. Its inconsistent to fault floyd, who is his own promoter, for doing the same thing Bob, Don, etc, have done and continue to do.

Any fighter whether it was tyson, SRL, odh, floyd etc, that was the top draw in the sport selects his opponents. Rarely do they simply fight their mandatories. No fighter since ali has taken on ALL comers, and all of the top draws have made fighters wait to face them.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
      Respectfully, matchmaking has been the key to successful boxing careers throughout history. Its inconsistent to fault floyd, who is his own promoter, for doing the same thing Bob, Don, etc, have done and continue to do.

Any fighter whether it was tyson, SRL, odh, floyd etc, that was the top draw in the sport selects his opponents. Rarely do they simply fight their mandatories. No fighter since ali has taken on ALL comers, and all of the top draws have made fighters wait to face them.
      You mention SRL, a guy who took on the very best fighters in the same breath and context as Floyd? That is just ridiculous.

Comment

i agree, i wish we had the boxers with great attitude like from the 80s or 90s..........

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
          You mention SRL, a guy who took on the very best fighters in the same breath and context as Floyd? That is just ridiculous.
          Ur missing is point. There are ppl srl avoided too. I mean he personally admitted to avoiding Hagler until after the Mugabe fight, at which time he felt Hagler was just past it enough to beat. The point is many fighters have done it to some extent. And it is true.

Comment

the same SRL that fought Duran primarily because he waited for the Hearns fight to maximize dollars. the same SRL that brought Hagler to a fake press conference and blew him off and waited 5 years to fight him-and gave Hagler a 50/50 split so Marvin would accept the bigger ring. the same SRL that he and Bob handpicked EVERY opponent after Benitez.

you can hate floyd all you want but dont act like Bob and SRL didn't exploit his fame and earning power.

Comment

didn't srl stand in the middle of the ring and tell hagler it'll never happen then fought him years later ??

this happened but people want to forget it idk y.

Comment

Your right for once. SRL never dominated the sport for over a decade. SRL retired at 25 in the middle of his prime. Then alegations of cocaine and physical abuse from his ex wife got him fired from calling fights on HBO. Which is what forced him back into boxing. Your right you cant hold Floyd in the same breath as SRL. Great post guy.

Comment

Why do people act like Floyd fights no 1? all he fights is champions and top fighters in the division.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                    the same SRL that fought Duran primarily because he waited for the Hearns fight to maximize dollars. the same SRL that brought Hagler to a fake press conference and blew him off and waited 5 years to fight him-and gave Hagler a 50/50 split so Marvin would accept the bigger ring. the same SRL that he and Bob handpicked EVERY opponent after Benitez.

you can hate floyd all you want but dont act like Bob and SRL didn't exploit his fame and earning power.
                    Given the age they were at, your point about Hearns is bizarre and the rest of it can be interpreted in a number of ways, the fact remains that he fought all of his rivals when they were at or near to their best. The same cant be said about Floyd, true, they both tried to make as much money as they could but comparing floyd's standing to SRL's is just sad.

Comment

Working...
                    X