No announcement yet.

P4P best punchers all time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    A few years back Ring magazine came out with its 100 hardest punchers. The only thing I really remeber from it was that Joe Louis was number one. Who are your ten best punchers p4p all time?

Here are mine in no particular order.

Joe Louis
    Earnie Shavers
    Bob Foster
    Wilfredo Gomez
    Tommy Hearns
    Jimmy Wilde
    Stanley Ketchel
    Sam Langford
    Archie Moore
    Naseem Hamed
    Good list. I would also include Sonny Liston and Pipino Cuevas. if I had to make a list.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      Good list. I would also include Sonny Liston and Pipino Cuevas. if I had to make a list.
      I was just thinking about Cuevas and where his place may be on an all time punchers list. I can't say Im well versed with his career (basicly the Hearns and Duran fights), but everything I have read points to a brutal puncher.

Its also interesting that he won a piece of the welterweight title before he had turned 19. Nice call Joe.

Comment

carlos zarate
        julian jackson
        joe louis
        naseem hamed
        vic darchinyan (had to put a current guy in there, and his power is pretty nuts)
        tommy hearns
        ruben olivares
        alexis arguello
        george foreman
        Sandy Saddler

Comment

Originally posted by Bendigo View Post
          naseem had incredible punching power, in some cases you wouldnt even need to compare his power on a p4p scale

Comment

For raw power the G-man deserves to be on the list.

Comment

pound for pound punchers

julian jackson - simple short blasts probably refined on small heavybag.
              gerald mclellan - tennis style slams with rotation down to the ankles.
              mike tyson - bad intentions
              jack dempsey - vic darchinyan style followthrough punches in sparring, adjusted haymaker style hooks and crosses that he could set up in fights
              george foreman - very bad intentions, practiced on the heavybag
              joe louis - bodyweight punches refined on the heavybag
              vic darchinyan - lunging punches with a occasional back leg followthrough like baseball pitcher tim lincecum
              bob fitzsimmons - upright, facing target stance, straight over or underhand blasts with either hand. practiced on a ball, not a bag, tied to a rope, not a chain.
              jimmy wilde - worked in a mine from like, age 2.
              Last edited by glidesmack; 05-18-2009, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by glidesmack View Post
                julian jackson - simple short blasts probably refined on small heavybag.
                gerald mclellan - tennis style slams with rotation down to the ankles.
                mike tyson - bad intentions
                jack dempsey - vic darchinyan style followthrough punches in sparring, adjusted haymaker style hooks and crosses that he could set up in fights
                george foreman - very bad intentions, practiced on the heavybag
                joe louis - bodyweight punches refined on the heavybag
                vic darchinyan - lunging punches with a occasional back leg followthrough like baseball pitcher tim lincecum
                bob fitzsimmons - upright, facing target stance, straight over or underhand blasts with either hand. practiced on a ball, not a bag, tied to a rope, not a chain.
                jimmy wilde - worked in a mine from like, age 2.

Yeah, most of the usual ones have already been mentioned. I think Jackson had the worst KO's I've seen, to the point where you actually thought he had killed his opponents.

Hearns, if he landed flush, is about the only guy that I know of who could KO anyone from WW to CW. His KO's of Cuevas, Duran, Shuler, Snyder cross all of the aforementioned weight divisions and there have been very few in the history of the sport that could actually blow out a guy with one single punch from 147 to 200 pounds. That's freaky ****e!

His blow out of Duran is especially incredible given Duran's chin and defensive prowess, however absurd the size difference.

Comment

I'd also like to give Michael Carbajal a shout out. He knocked out good opponents from start to finish. His right hand was often his own personal bail out plan. It got him out of more tough spots (Chiquita, Arce) than he probably cared to be in. It generally only took him one good shot to flatten his opponent too. Where most little guys scored their stoppage victories by pummeling their opponents into submission, Carbajal could do it in an instant.

Comment

Originally posted by Bendigo View Post
                    What!?! Hamed was a murderous puncher. Some of the fighters he hit looked like they'd been run over by an eighteen-wheeler.

I'd love to have seen Jimmy Wilde in action. If only half the stories told about his punching power are true he must have been a monstrous hitter.

Comment

In no particular order,

Earnie Shavers
                      Bob Foster
                      George Foreman (215-220 in his prime)
                      Mike Tyson
                      Rocky Marciano
                      Tommy Hearns
                      Julian Jackson
                      Wilfredo Gomez
                      Joe Louis
                      Sonny Liston
                      Marvin Hagler

Damn, two many HWs on my list, have to give it some more thought. Didn't start watching much lighter weights until the last few years, Pac, Hamed and Darchinyan come to mind.

Of course best punchers and hardest punchers don't always coincide.

Comment

Working...
                      X