Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TOP RANK trying to get chavez jr to sign contract extension in order to fight on 16th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chavez leaves him.... he'll actually have to fight opponents.

Comment

Oh, this is happening again, I am shocked....

The claim that some said was part of Gamboa's beef and they try it again a few weeks later.

Comment

This is big news.

Glad to see Junior stand up for himself. It sounds like the Sergio fight will happen as well, (though now testing is an issue).

Trying to force Jr. into a contract extension in order to get a fight....hmmm...sounds like what could've happened with Gamboa as that Todd deGoof was taking about a recent extension that Gamboa signed.

These promoters have pretty much become obstacles to getting good fights done.

Comment

This signing extensions to get fights that are in your current contract is crap. He should let them fight the duration of their contract and then offer him extensions. Don't like how Gamboa handled it, but I get why he did what he did.

Comment

this is interesting

Comment

Haha Bob trying to pull the old Gary Shaw move huh

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
                This signing extensions to get fights that are in your current contract is crap. He should let them fight the duration of their contract and then offer him extensions. Don't like how Gamboa handled it, but I get why he did what he did.
                I don't think any of us, even his supporters, like the way Gamboa handled his situation. Who knows if a contract extension is even what caused the problem? But I wouldn't be surprised if it did. You give your fighter relatively weak fights when there are better options; then when it's time for him to walk out the door you dangle a carrot in his face? It's bullshit.

Comment

Chavez Jr learned from the Gamboa situation.

If he leaves Top Rank, it would be easy to make fights between him, Alvarez, Martinez, Mayweather.

But I don't think he'll leave, and he shouldn't leave. If he wants to keep that 0, he better stay in Top Rank, cause they treat him the best and give him the best chance to keep his 0. Once he leaves Top Rank, basically he'll fight all the top dogs and the losses will start racking up quickly, and his stock will take a hit big time. That 0 does make a difference when you have no real good skills.

Comment

Originally posted by odogg8121 View Post
                    the main part:

I'm okay with whoever they choose for me to fight. I trust Top Rank. They are my promoter. They're very good promoters, but I want to make one thing very clear, I will not be forced to sign extensions to get my fights that are owed to me...I look forward to fighting on HBO in El Paso on June 16th, but if I'm going to be forced to sign an extension, I will choose to fight in Mexico instead, probably in Culiacán...I have not spoke to Bob Arum directly, but I am told that they want me to sign an extension in order to get a fight. I want it to be clear that I will not sign any extension in order to get my June fight," stated WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., who talked about his tentatively scheduled return to the ring on June 16th. During a recent 3-way phone call, Julio revealed that he was told by his promotional company that he must sign a 2-fight contract extension before they would secure him a replacement opponent.
                    This is exactly how they got Pac, Donaire, and Gamboa to sign extensions.
                    They apply leverage on the often uneducated boxer and watch him fold.
                    Most of these guys can't afford proper representation and when they can Arum probably pays off their lawyers. Glad to see Chavez is being a man about his business maybe he will continue to man up and fight Sergio.

Comment

Chavez Jr has spoken...................................... I can hear Arum's knees knocking.

Comment

Working...
                      X