No announcement yet.

Advice for a newbie boxer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 23calzaghe23 View Post
    So I've been boxing for a few weeks now. I'm told I have very good ring movement and footwork, and don't typically struggle offensively; I can land punches pretty well. I'm about 6-2 with very long arms, so I land plenty of jabs when sparring. But whenever I try to follow my jab up with any other punch (usually a right cross), I always get countered hard, because I've now put myself within my opponent's range. The best way I can put it is: I can't seem to land a punch (other than the jab) without taking a couple in the process. I can't box offensively AND defend myself at the same time. How do I work on this? Because of my reach advantage, should I just throw lots of jabs and wait for countering oppurtunities to throw more powerful punches like the cross? What are some go-to counters to the jab and 1-2? I appreciate any advice you have.
    Don’t end up sparring like this:

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
      Don’t end up sparring like this:

Not everyone can spar like Taha

Comment

Turn your whole body into the punch. If your feet are slow, (most people have slow feet at first) you will find that punching a little slower actually hits harder than punching faster. So in other words, punch as fast as your body can turn so you won’t sacrifice power. Again, use your whole body instead of just the arms to punch.

Comment

So I've been boxing for a few weeks now. I'm told I have very good ring movement and footwork, and don't typically struggle offensively; I can land punches pretty well. I'm about 6-2 with very long arms, so I land plenty of jabs when sparring. But whenever I try to follow my jab up with any other punch (usually a right cross), I always get countered hard, because I've now put myself within my opponent's range. The best way I can put it is: I can't seem to land a punch (other than the jab) without taking a couple in the process. I can't box offensively AND defend myself at the same time. How do I work on this? Because of my reach advantage, should I just throw lots of jabs and wait for countering oppurtunities to throw more powerful punches like the cross? What are some go-to counters to the jab and 1-2? I appreciate any advice you have.
          How did things turn out?

Comment

im not reading all that garbage tbh.

get used to being relaxed in the ring.
            and get used to sparring for real.

if you are relaxed you will see the punches you need to land.
            and you will be able to land them.

Comment

Make sure you're pulling your hands straight back to guard. practice hand speed drills, especially with your straight. Feints and slips should help you generate counter punching opportunities and allow you to throw the one two but you have to practice combination punching and defense at the same time. Sometimes the best defense is offense and vice versa. I like to throw the jab frm different angles to make sure I can defend afterwards. If they're on their bike, throw crisp, clean hooks to setup the jab. If you have significant power behind your jab like GGG, opponents are going to try to counter you, so mix it up. Overhand rights and hooker cuts can change an opponents approach.

Comment

Originally posted by CrowsNestWest View Post
                Overhand rights and hooker cuts can change an opponents approach.
                Exactly....

Comment

Advice for a Newbie Boxer.

1. Learn to Wrap Both hands Correctly
                  Nothing is even worse than sprained arms or broken hands from the shoddy wrap. There are many Youtube tutorials to look at and coaches along with other boxers are a lot more than happy to show newcomers the best way to wrap their fingers. There are additionally pre-wraps available if you are having trouble. Everyone may have their own preference for that they like to cover, but be sure your knuckles possess sufficient padding, as well as your wrist, is backed.
                  2. Develop A few Cardio
                  Boxing itself is ideal for improving cardio, but it's not enough if you eventually wish to begin sparring. Spend some time jogging and doing calisthenics to enhance your gas tank and make sure you can last to the later rounds.
                  3. Manage Your Breathing
                  Probably the most important lessons to understand is how in order to breathe correctly whenever boxing. You will end up being both throwings as well as absorbing punches which is key to properly know how. When throwing the punch, breathe away through your nasal area and mouth. This will help you to expel the air out of your lungs. Breathe in together with your diaphragm when you receive hit. This can get easier with exercise so start sluggish.

Comment

be more observant, move your head off center, use feints.

Comment

Change expectations son. If you always or usually go for the straight right and I knew it I would give you the jab for free while looking to get my receipt out of you when you go for that right.

I was a puncher in my day and not anything to brag about. My grandad had a gym when I was younger and I used to help his more serious fighters as best i could.

Do not put on your left glove first. Do not put on your left shoe first. Do not put on your left leg first when you put on your shorts. Nothing left first. Even if you are a lefty still go right first. Left first offends Lord Apollo, the god of boxing, and may leave you open to Apollo wrath.

Do they still teach y'all superstitions? There ain't really no point to them it's just some very old school kidding around.

Comment

Working...
                      X