Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah...at last finally a poster who I can argue with about Joe Frazier. I've been waiting for this moment since I got here.

Smoking Joe was simply the black Marciano. He was a swarming, non-stop, perpetual motion attacker who fought from a crouch. A sturdy man with a tough jaw, powerhouse left hook (his right wasn’t bad either), and tremendous endurance. Joe used to come straight at his man bobbing and weaving as he moved in.

He fought almost exactly like Marciano. They were both brawlers in a sense and both of them trained as they fought and their gym fights were wars. They were willing to take a punch to land one of their own.

The only reason I would pick Frazier to beat Marciano in a fight is because Marciano was very prone to cuts. Other then that, Frazier was an ULTIMATE fighting machine who was a throwback to the old days.

He would beat all of the top heavy's including Mike Tyson, and Larry Holmes but He wouldn't beat Lennox Lewis because of the laser left jab and right cross. Lewis would just be too big, and too strong.

Kid Achilles Joe had amazing shoulder and arm strength. His power came mostly from his huge arm and thigh muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
      lewis was not a heavy puncher, and frazier was known to do well against big fighters, look what he did to buster mathis!
      lennox lewis wasnt a big puncher??!!?

yeah, that settles it, you know slim to nothing about boxing
      mrbig1 mrbig1 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by PBF34
        lennox lewis wasnt a big puncher??!!?

yeah, that settles it, you know slim to nothing about boxing
        well, he didn't hit as hard as foreman.

Comment

i dont understand why some fighters have 1 punch ko power like foreman but they dont use it.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
            yes. he is very overrated. he is not even a heavyweight. he is a 185 pound cruiserweight. any good 200+ pound fighter in their prime would crush him!
            this is exactly what makes him great. he was a small guy with a huge heart. he went out there and fought as hard as he could and he beat ass. he is overrated with the 49-0 record thing but his heart and determination are what make him a legend.

Comment

i agree that marciano was overrated...but also joe louis was overrated...they actually fought similar
              moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

I agree that the Marciano fans who think that he beats any heavyweight alive to this day because he was undefeated, then that thinking makes him VERY overrated.

Evolution happens in every sport. Look at the track and field times of now compared to the past, the size of body builders today comapred to the past, Look at MMA and how much it has evolved of a space of less than 20 years.

The fact is Marciano was great IN HIS TIME. In his time 185 lbs wasn't that small cause the main names he beat Walcott, Charles and Moore were all former light heavyweight. The big guys he fought couldn't fight for ****, no skills at all.

If you compare him in modern times, he is small even for a cruiserweight. A good big man will always beat a good little man. A great big man will always beat a great little man.
                moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Linx
                  I agree that the Marciano fans who think that he beats any heavyweight alive to this day because he was undefeated, then that thinking makes him VERY overrated.

Evolution happens in every sport. Look at the track and field times of now compared to the past, the size of body builders today comapred to the past, Look at MMA and how much it has evolved of a space of less than 20 years.

The fact is Marciano was great IN HIS TIME. In his time 185 lbs wasn't that small cause the main names he beat Walcott, Charles and Moore were all former light heavyweight. The big guys he fought couldn't fight for ****, no skills at all.

If you compare him in modern times, he is small even for a cruiserweight. A good big man will always beat a good little man. A great big man will always beat a great little man.
                  exactly what i'm saying.

Comment

Undefeated
                    mrbig1 mrbig1 likes this.

Comment

He's no Rocky Balboa, that's for sure. Marciano would have no chance against Apollo Creed, Mr. T, or Hulk Hogan. Levels to this game. Nash out.

Comment

Working...
                      X