No announcement yet.

What went wrong for Trinidad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What went wrong for Trinidad?

I was wondering about this as I watched his fight with Carr and Ferdie Pacheco calling him the next Sugar Ray Robinson. He did have a brilliant career to start with, with 40 straight wins, but after that first defeat it looked like he was not the same anymore. And then he made a glorious comeback against Mayorga, but then stranded again against Wright. That fight is a mystery to me. I know Wright is a great technician and a very awkward fighter, but Tito beat Whitaker and some other awkward fighters before.

So what did go wrong?

Nothing went wrong. He had a fine career and will be in the HOF. Yeah, he lost to Hopkins & Wright, it happens. He constantly tested himself against the best. Tito was aiming for Roy Jones, for godsake.

Comment

Nothin. Felix' career was sick. He just laid off a long time after Bhop, and picked 2 fights he had no chance of winnin for his comebacks, sans Mayo of course. Felix still got his place in history as a gr8 fighter imo.

Comment

Imo he should have gone up faster in the middleweight ranks or junior middleweight. Maybe in 1998.

But he had an impressive carrer. BHop and Winky are terrible Matchups for a guy like Tito.

Maybe he should have also trained with weights.

Comment

Hopkins and Wright were just bad style match-ups for him. By the Jones fight he was gone.

Comment

I always felt that middleweight was a step too far for him. I felt that the Joppy KO flattered him a bit...........then he was rushed into Hopkins!

If he had stayed at welter/light middle theres nothing to suggest that he couldn't still be campaigning now.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
              Nothin. Felix' career was sick. He just laid off a long time after Bhop, and picked 2 fights he had no chance of winnin for his comebacks, sans Mayo of course. Felix still got his place in history as a gr8 fighter imo.
              What he said.

If Tito fought those guys at 147 they would of been tough fights but you would realistically say he could overcome the style match up with his pure strength and pressure style but not above 147.

Comment

He shoulda stayed at 154. It was obviously the perfect division for him. But he got greedy.

Comment

He relied too much on his power and ignored other factors late in his career. I you look at young tito, he used to box very well with a great head movement but after he fell in love with his power, he put that aside. When he fought Hopkins he had plan A and that's it. He had no answer for hops, it was as if they didn't even Watch any taps or anything and thought he would trade like many others did.

For winky it was the same ****. But this time he was too concerned about his image to the point he even had a stylist working for him; and again it seemed he had no answer for his (winky) style. Like if his corner didn't even watch any tapes and just a plan A, try to get a ko.

Tito IS an ATG, he was an incredible boxer but his dad plain and simple sucked. All he knew was to slap his kid and tell him to go beat the other fighter up. Terrible strategist. Tito was Tito and that's it. But then if u think if another trainer wouldve done anything well, I don't think u can teach an old dog new tricks or he will get hurt

Comment

Trinidad dared to be great,some fighters who have even more talent and skills would never have taken such a risk to prove their greatness,Trinidad lost to Hopkins who was just a bigger and better fighter than he was,he didn't need to take that fight as he was a much bigger star and name than Hopkins was but he did so anyway and I respect that.

Thomas Hearns and Trinidad were simply made for the 154 pound weight class.I don't think Trinidad at his prime against Wright in his prime at 154 plays out the way it did in 2005 either

Comment

Working...
                    X